Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bronco

Sep 7, 2012, 12:38 PM

Post #1 of 36 (8767 views)

Shortcut

lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

Can't Post | Private Reply
they are not renewing the site. i read that the community had a negative response to their inquries for help. this is the 2nd time the crime site is closing. im not sure how long they will be on line. it may be worth emailing them to see what they need. maybe a collection is in order? you lose this site, its bad news!

don pedro

Sep 8, 2012, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 36 (8677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

In Reply To
they are not renewing the site. i read that the community had a negative response to their inquries for help. this is the 2nd time the crime site is closing. im not sure how long they will be on line. it may be worth emailing them to see what they need. maybe a collection is in order? you lose this site, its bad news!

no it's not bad news. there are plenty of media sources here in hard copy and if you're one of those that can't read espanol, read it on line and use google translate for the serious stough. most of the local web boards discuss this petty crime as well.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

bronco

Sep 8, 2012, 8:15 AM

Post #3 of 36 (8650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

there needs to be a place where it is grouped all together. & its too much work to use google, &the translations no good. there needs to be an archive as well published, as people dont go too far back into the past on those forums. i am not surprised about this news, i predicted it soon after it began. it was not promoted properly, there was a communication gap.

CanuckBob

Sep 8, 2012, 9:17 AM

Post #4 of 36 (8634 views)

Shortcut

Then may I suggest that you either start your own or offer them all the funding they require to keep it going. Were you part of the $5.00 USD that they had collected so far?

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

bronco

Sep 8, 2012, 1:42 PM

Post #5 of 36 (8592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

canuckbob, this is another communication problem. go to the site (lakesidecrimetracker.com) & go to "donations". he thanks everyone for the $50. usd= 650. peso donations he has collected so far. when you go to TOB, (chapalawebboard) it says $5.usd= 65. pesos. i contacted the webmaster about the correction, but he didnt follow up. (i am sure the $5 usd is a typo error. it has not been corrected). this also doesnt add to his popularity either, as we know he got more than 5 dollars! i think he had good intentions, but never should have asked for 1600 pesos. as that is the cost to maintain all of his sites. when he explained all of this on TOB, he retracted the 1600 pesos goal. somehow it was too late, he had already put his "foot in his mouth". you also accused him of wanting a profit. personally i dont see a big $$ operation here. i understand his feelings, as there were many negative comments on the webboards. for the sake of argument, even IF he did want to make a few bucks, so what?? maybe he could have a dinner. no one else was doing the service. the problem here was public relations. he is really a nice guy, just made some mistakes along the way.

(This post was edited by bronco on Sep 8, 2012, 1:56 PM)

CanuckBob

Sep 8, 2012, 2:33 PM

Post #6 of 36 (8583 views)

Shortcut

I haven't accused him of anything and could care less about him or his website. I have never even looked at it (although there is a link to it on my forum). My point is that anyone who is whining that he is shutting it down should either volunteer to run it for him, start their own or buck up..........period.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

don pedro

Sep 8, 2012, 4:15 PM

Post #7 of 36 (8555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

In Reply To
I haven't accused him of anything and could care less about him or his website. I have never even looked at it (although there is a link to it on my forum). My point is that anyone who is whining that he is shutting it down should either volunteer to run it for him, start their own or buck up..........period.

i seldom agree with boobie but this is one of those times bronco. put up or shut up. who cares if he is a nice guy. the site was crap and as i said before not needed. you need it, make one yourself!
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

CanuckBob

Sep 8, 2012, 9:04 PM

Post #8 of 36 (8524 views)

Shortcut

Aw golly gee. thanks Peedrop...............

Bob
Inside Lakeside

bronco

Sep 8, 2012, 9:24 PM

Post #9 of 36 (8522 views)

Shortcut

senor, why was the site "crap" ? lots of people want a crime site. (not all want to pay, but site does have advertisers).

ChapalaShelley

Sep 9, 2012, 7:42 AM

Post #10 of 36 (8485 views)

Shortcut

Bronco - His request was NOT for 1600 pesos - It was for 16,000 pesos.

(This post was edited by ChapalaShelley on Sep 9, 2012, 7:43 AM)

bronco

Sep 9, 2012, 8:55 AM

Post #11 of 36 (8464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ChapalaShelley] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

im sorry- i meant approx 1600. usd, or 16,000 pesos. more than he should have asked for.

stevebrtx

Sep 9, 2012, 9:15 AM

Post #12 of 36 (8447 views)

Shortcut

I have several sites and the weather site, for instance, costs about $70 a year for domain and hosting, the blog is maybe $50 a year, so sites aren't all that expensive. Now, if he's trying to make a living at it that's another animal completely.

joaquinx

Sep 9, 2012, 9:26 AM

Post #13 of 36 (8443 views)

Shortcut

lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

With all the blogs and web sites associated with lakeside, will you miss one?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson

Sep 9, 2012, 11:06 AM

Post #14 of 36 (8422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

Yes yes yes, I shout. For example Steve's weather site is very important for me and I go to it several times per day when I am up north.

I also found the crime reporting website very important, especially when so many rumors were going around that were false. Sure there are some sites that I choose never to go to because they are so unpopular or so poorly run. But a properly run crime-reporting-site would be a wonderful tool to have. And yes, the one time I was robbed at screwdriver point (I'm not joking) I was scared to death and did report same. Apparently the criminal was addicted to Meth and has been in jail several times since I was robbed of my cell phone and about 700 pesos

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 9, 2012, 11:07 AM)

bronco

Sep 9, 2012, 11:17 AM

Post #15 of 36 (8411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

peter is correct. webboards do discuss crimes, but they are dialoques. then it is forgotton. the majority of crimes are not in the newspapers. we need a straight foward list as the lakesidecrime & crimetracker did. we all know what domains cost. as i said he retracted the 16,000 pesos goal. if he does not renew the site, thats his choice.

joaquinx

Sep 9, 2012, 11:18 AM

Post #16 of 36 (8411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

I was thinking that since there are many web sites with lakeside at its center, that one more or less wouldn't be missed. As one who doesn't live in lakeside, the number of web sites appear and disappear like AA groups - all you need is a resentment and a coffee pot to start a new one.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

bronco

Sep 9, 2012, 12:16 PM

Post #17 of 36 (8397 views)

Shortcut

the majority of websights dont fit the criteria i mentioned. its a very simple, list of reports w/locations, time & date, area, kind of crime followup, & archived list from past 3 years. no more said, its been explained. the right person will take over the domain. yes it is cheap. even I myself have a websight, but have no ability to operate one. yes i have helped the crimetrackersite, not w/$ but other things.

stevebrtx

Sep 9, 2012, 12:17 PM

Post #18 of 36 (8396 views)

Shortcut

The concept of a crime site is good, a year or two ago I was considering moving to Vista del Lago so I checked to see what crime was being reported. But, there is the one rub, often crimes are NOT reported anywhere so a crime website isn't necessarily a great indicator, but I would agree a useful asset to our community.

I thank Pete, but honestly "weather"? - it's just what it is, but crime? - now, that's something that I consider worthy. I've not followed the details and as I said, sites are inexpensive, but running it as a business is something totally different. And, it should be noted that one forum recently went through a nasty experiment on reporting crime only to basically ban crime reporting, this forum is a different flavor and crime isn't a "hot" button so generally "routine" crimes are not reported, so there is a need.

johninajijic

Sep 9, 2012, 1:38 PM

Post #19 of 36 (8381 views)

Shortcut

The crimewatch site won't be missed by me. There may be lots of rumours and misinformation on the web boards, but I didn't trust the crime site that much either, especially when you see the report was made by a "friend", second hand information.

And what moron would have the guts to ask for $ 1,600. US and expect donations. That takes some balls.

bronco

Sep 9, 2012, 2:09 PM

Post #20 of 36 (8373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

steve: see the lakesidecrimetracker.com archives (from the previous lakesidecrime site), there are 3 1/2 yrs of crimes, dozens & dozens. metdodically grouped by neighborhood more crimes were reported on these sites, than to the police. (who are generally useless). the idea is to HELP people know whats going on. help them w/home security. as "how they got in" is important. or where did the mugging occur? what time? it doesnt stop criminals but it can give people pointers. its helped me alot, & my neigbors. the chapala weboard still discusses crime. they only put a lid on it when it got crazy during the abductions. crime is not the job of a webboard unless they choose to address it. john: most of the reports on the crime sites are true. most are reported by the victims themselves, especially armed home invasions, muggings w/weapon etc. have a look. i myself have reported for friends. but for the most part, the victim tells their story. we know you dont believe a word of anything, so lets not start conflict. the site which IS USELESS is crime stoppers, or crimewatch what ever. but thats not what we are discussing. yes yes yes your developement is safe. too bad most fracs/developments are not that well run.

(This post was edited by bronco on Sep 9, 2012, 2:38 PM)

stevebrtx

Sep 9, 2012, 2:39 PM

Post #21 of 36 (8366 views)

Shortcut

Hey hey, back off my case, I said it was a good idea, but it's very common knowledge that many crimes are NOT reported - especially by the MXN community - which make them no less a crime, so it's not like the police blotter of Austin, TX as far as inclusiveness. A good idea yes, but in a community such as ours, many things are donated gratis, if this person doesn't want to do that then it's their business not ours.

bronco

Sep 9, 2012, 2:50 PM

Post #22 of 36 (8360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

yes i know this is 15% of crimes. its not a blotter, just help for security of homes. there were several floresta breakins reported by mexicans. & several muggings reported in behalf of mexican employees. we all know these 2 sites just scatch the surface. no more said.

edirectorymx

Sep 11, 2012, 5:58 AM

Post #23 of 36 (8217 views)

Shortcut

I am not sure if people here cannot read, or if they just read the words they want to read.

FACT CHECK:

1) We NEVER ask for $16,000 pesos. We simply stated that we spent $16,000 pesos on a new server when ours failed due to the storm in Ajijic on August 2nd.

2) Yes we posted a total of $50 in dontaions on our website. That was the total donations since the site started. $45 of that were my personal donations, $5 to test the donation system, and $40 for flyers to be printed, since LakesideCrime Tracker had no cash of its own to do anything. This leaves $5 in donations from sources other than myself, after our server failed.

3) Advertising on the website is only from my business, no advertising has been sold, no income received.

This means the website has generated an entire $5 since it has been started!

The lack of support, and attacks on various web blogs show us that the community feels they would be better off if we closed our website. Currently we plan to finish out the year, but not to renew for a second year when our renewal date comes up. We had plans to create an interactive statistics page, where users could select an area (or community) and see crime types and trends over a period of time, along with other upgrades for the website, however, under current circumstances, we do not see any reason to invest additional time and effort into the website.

ChapalaShelley

Sep 11, 2012, 6:04 AM

Post #24 of 36 (8212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [edirectorymx] lakesidecrimetracker.com is closing

In Reply To
I am not sure if people here cannot read, or if they just read the words they want to read.

FACT CHECK:

1) We NEVER ask for $16,000 pesos. We simply stated that we spent $16,000 pesos on a new server when ours failed due to the storm in Ajijic on August 2nd............

Perhaps people misunderstood when they read:

"Sorry about the inconvenience folks, our server crashed during the high winds and storm on August 2nd. We have been scrambling since then to attain funds for a new web server. We were finally able to borrow the funds; however, now we have to start repaying them. In total we have spent $16,000 pesos to get back on-line. Any donation, no matter how big or small will be appreciated to help payback the cost of the new server. To make a donation, click the donate button to the right to get to the secure PayPal page for donations."

edirectorymx

Sep 11, 2012, 6:10 AM

Post #25 of 36 (8207 views)

Shortcut

Original post:

Sorry about the inconvenience folks, our server crashed during the high winds and storm on August 2nd. We have been scrambling since then to attain funds for a new web server. We were finally able to borrow the funds; however, now we have to start repaying them. In total we have spent $16,000 pesos to get our web server back on-line. This server host several web sites, not just LakesideCrime Tracker. Any donation, no matter how big or small will be appreciated to help payback the cost of the new server.

We were not expecting to cover the entire cost of the new server, just some help. - If people want, we will close the site today.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4