Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

sioux4noff

Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 AM

Post #1 of 15 (11503 views)

Shortcut

funiture shopping

Can't Post | Private Reply
From the lack of responses I have gotten on other Guadalajara questions, it appears there are not many Guadalajara residents/ "experts" on this group.

But, here goes anyway.

I'm looking for suggestions on shopping to furnish a house. Refrigerator, furniture, and household goods. The house is in the Americana area, closer to centro.

As far as furniture, rustica is a possibilty for some of it, but possibly something a little more modern-looking and more comfortable for the living room.

Household goods - kitchen stuff, bedding, towels, etc.

We will have a car, and are fairly familiar with Guadalajara, so location isn't critical.

Also, we aren't at this timel ooking for decor, so the Tonala market isn't what we need right now. Later.

Thanks for any help.

geogdl

Sep 6, 2012, 9:09 AM

Post #2 of 15 (11476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] funiture shopping

Good morning,
I also live in the Colonia Americana area, Tonola has more than decorations, as for rustico furniture it is the best place to go you just have to explore alot of the streets most people do not venture down. Close to your area on Av, Ninos Heroes are many appliance stores usually more reasonable than say Sears. My experience with towels, sheets etc... are high priced and poor quality, Costco or Sams is an option but expensive also.I hope this helps and if interested in seeing my house and what I purchased at Tonola let me know.

AlanMexicali

Sep 6, 2012, 9:27 AM

Post #3 of 15 (11471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geogdl] funiture shopping

In Reply To
Good morning,
I also live in the Colonia Americana area, Tonola has more than decorations, as for rustico furniture it is the best place to go you just have to explore alot of the streets most people do not venture down. Close to your area on Av, Ninos Heroes are many appliance stores usually more reasonable than say Sears. My experience with towels, sheets etc... are high priced and poor quality, Costco or Sams is an option but expensive also.I hope this helps and if interested in seeing my house and what I purchased at Tonola let me know.

http://www.feriade.com/...acional_invierno.php

We bought our new living room furniture at one of these huge events this year in SLP and one of my sister in laws bought their whole house full also. We figured, besides the huge selection, we saved about 35%. You put down a 1/3 deposit, the mueblarias order it, and you pay when you want later and they deliver it.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 6, 2012, 9:28 AM)

esperanza

Sep 6, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #4 of 15 (11454 views)

Shortcut

As you know, I no longer live in GDL. However, for electrodomésticos, you can't beat Ekar de Gas. It's a chain of appliance and low-end home furnishings stores, located in various places all over the city. I bought my Mabe stove through them; it's the best stove I have ever owned and the oven temperature is always correct. The stove is one of the higher-end Mabes, with a glass cover over the burners. I shopped at the Ekar de Gas on the north side of Av. Vallarta as you head west, near the intersection with Av. Patria.

I also bought a WENDY mattress and box springs at Ekar de Gas http://www.ekardegas.com.mx/. Honestly, this is the best mattress I have ever owned. WENDY is a local GDL mattress factory. Mine is a double pillow top, exactly the right mix of firm and cushion-y for a great night's sleep.

I bought a refrigerator on sale at an appliance store on Av. Vallarta just barely west of the Glorieta Minerva; it's a GE 23 cubic foot double door (no ice maker, hard to find but exactly what I was looking for).

For more modern furniture, hit the stores on López Mateos south of Av. Vallarta. You'll find Muebles Plascencia http://www.mueblesplacencia.com, Tutto Pelle http://www.tuttopelle.com.mx, and a whole bunch more. I have a double loveseat leather recliner from Plascencia that is wearing like iron. There is also the Rattán de Guadalajara store out that way. http://rattangdl.com/ It's not cheap, but the furniture is really well made.

On Av. México at Av. Terranova, you'll find high-end USA brand furniture featured at Amparo Taylor--omg, the stuff is gorgeous and the prices made my eyes pop. http://www.amparotaylor.com.mx/showroom.php

Hope this helps.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 6, 2012, 10:25 AM)

sioux4noff

Sep 6, 2012, 10:29 AM

Post #5 of 15 (11442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] funiture shopping

Thank you all for the information. I will check out the choices.

bronco

Sep 6, 2012, 11:50 AM

Post #6 of 15 (11425 views)

Shortcut

bedding: liverpool @galleria mall.

sioux4noff

Sep 6, 2012, 4:16 PM

Post #7 of 15 (11392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] funiture shopping

Bronco - Liverpool = $$$$$, at least in my experience. Any less expensive choices? The king and queen are not going to visit, ultra high quality can be sacrificed.

geogdl

Sep 7, 2012, 7:09 AM

Post #8 of 15 (11340 views)

Shortcut

I luckily go back to the US at least twice a year and purchase my sheets there, if I had to buy here it would be Costco, I can get 2 sets in the US for the price of one here. Sears, Liverpool, Fabricas de Francia,all way over priced.

salto_jorge

Sep 7, 2012, 5:09 PM

Post #9 of 15 (11277 views)

Shortcut

I have purchased excellent used furniture from expats.

There are some reasonable stores along: Gabrielle D'Annuzio , in colonia vigusa 45120, in GDL.

The custom stores on the same street are on the high side but excellent quality (some have trade-in programs for their own items when they are a few years old ).

Costco is not that bad for some basic home furnishings needs.

Blankets made in Mexico are good, sheets are not. In a pinch I have used a set of nice soft quality wool blanket as sheets.
Try it some time, keeps you warm if you do not have a heater in your house ! I do not !

(This post was edited by salto_jorge on Sep 7, 2012, 5:16 PM)

sioux4noff

Sep 7, 2012, 8:44 PM

Post #10 of 15 (11255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] funiture shopping

thanks salto jorge

cindym

Sep 8, 2012, 9:13 AM

Post #11 of 15 (11217 views)

Shortcut

Have you thought of going to the furniture show in GDL, you can usually buy the sample to pickup on the last day. Here is some information...
http://www.expomuebleinvierno.com.mx/

(This post was edited by cindym on Sep 8, 2012, 12:43 PM)

Vichil

Sep 8, 2012, 11:10 AM

Post #12 of 15 (11196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cindym] funiture shopping

the show just happened and the next one is in February, a little long to wait to shop for things you can find in Ocotlan or Guadalajara...

Carol_Wheeler

Sep 9, 2012, 10:29 PM

Post #13 of 15 (11125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] funiture shopping

Muebles Placencia left a couple of catalogs advertising their annual Gran Venta Directa de Fabricantes (Direct Factory Sales Show) from September 13 through the 17 in Expo Guadalajara.

Last year I bought pillows, sheets and bed sets at really good prices, but the sale items got picked over fast. I'd recommend you go the first day. I don't plan to go, so I'll be happy to give you my coupon booklets and catalogs.

There are raffles, live music, complimentary snacks and soft drinks as well as a huge selection of furniture and appliances all under one roof.

Suerte!

bronco

Sep 10, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #14 of 15 (11076 views)

Shortcut

you are correct about the sheets @liverpool. they are expensive, all cotton but not that soft. the down quilt was a better deal. still expensive, but needed here.

sioux4noff

Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

Post #15 of 15 (10794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol_Wheeler] funiture shopping

We just returned home from guadalajara. I never thought I would say this (in Mexico) but there are too many choices of where to shop! We did go to the Expo and picked up some stuff, then bought a few things at another chain furniture store.
Next trip will involve more shopping.
Carol, sorry I did not have a chance to call you, but will email you soon.
A big thank you to everyone, you are all so helpful!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4