Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bucky

Nov 19, 2002, 4:28 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2197 views)

Shortcut

fireplace

Can't Post |
My last post for information was so good let me ask the following:

I am interested in installing a free standing "franklin" style fireplace (cast iron) in my house for mornings when I need to break the chill. No heat there now. Where can I buy one (pot belly [like me], franklin, etc.) And is firewood expensive--like how much is a cord of wood, cut and delivered.

Where would I buy the fireplace--prefer to deal locally but if Guad is best, I would go there. Still prefer to deal with local merchants. SPEND MONEY WHERE YOU LIVE.

Steve

Nov 19, 2002, 11:08 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bucky] fireplace

Can't Post | Private Reply
I remember how hard it was to loocate a pot belly stove in New Jersey. Here, I think it would be next to impossible.

Most of the fireplaces here are built in .. or are just outdoor fires for cooking or warmth. You can get firewood from people that go up on the mountains and bring it down with donkeys. Usualy, you would have to cut it further.

The most common way of doing what you want is electric heat. There is a selection of electric heaters available here or in Guadalajara. If you are coming down here, would probably be cheaper to buy a good oil filled radiator type heater in The US and bring it down here.

Bucky

Nov 20, 2002, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Steve] fireplace

Can't Post |
Thanks. I'd about surmised that I'd bring something with me but I want a wood fireplace out of choice. I like the possibilities of the oil filled radiator for our upstairs bedroom but for whole house I think I still want the cast iron fireplace. Again, thanks.

Wanda

Nov 20, 2002, 1:41 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2024 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bucky] fireplace

Can't Post |
Oh my goodness, don't even think about electric heaters! Your electric bill would soar out of sight. I have a friend who went to Home Mart in Guad just the other day & bought a gas one just like the one I have for well under $2,000 pesos. It's a fairly compact jobbie, on wheels with a place to set the gas canister in the back. I had bought mine at Sears in Guad for double the price about 5 years ago when we had such a cold snap (remember the snow in Guad?). Best investment I've made. I had run two small electric heaters for nearly three days straight & it doubled my electric bill. And, that was well before the government eliminated the subsidy.

Don

Nov 20, 2002, 2:11 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Wanda] fireplace

I don't really know if I would want a gas tank in my home. Our current gas tank is on the roof. A dedicated gas line, like to the stove, might be better. The electric radiators seem to work very well. We usually don't run ours day and night. If it gets cold one evening, we turn on the radiator for a while to warm up the room. We haven't used ours yet this year. Last year, maybe 3 or 4 times. What is really nice is electric blankets for the beds.

I have seen oil filled electric radiators sold in the Guadalajara area for as low as 397 pesos at Walmart.

(This post was edited by Don on Nov 20, 2002, 2:34 PM)

DavidMcL

Nov 20, 2002, 2:52 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] brownouts . . .

As a small recommendation for the LNG heaters - which work extremely well and inexpensively - some nieghbourhoods have experienced variable "brown outs" over the last couple of days (evenings and mornings) because everybody has plugged in their electric heaters!
David McL
WebJefe

Don

Nov 20, 2002, 3:01 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] brownouts . . .

I could see where that is a problem in an area where there are a lot of "gringos" and they are use to that warm house, but since I am the only *gringo* in town, electric radiators are not (excuse the pun) a "hot" item here.

DavidMcL

Nov 20, 2002, 3:04 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] brownouts . . .

Je je je

¡Touché amigo!

(on second thought - what is the Spanish equivalent of that french expression? Or is there one?)
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by davidmcl on Nov 20, 2002, 3:05 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4