Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

apucko

Sep 3, 2012, 10:40 AM

Post #1 of 28 (15478 views)

Shortcut

Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm I on the right track using the safest quickest route, including quotas to drive from Loredo to Colima. Using 85 to Saltillo jumping over to 57 for an overnight in Matahuala, carry on through San Luis Potosi, continue on the 80 to Guadalajara for an overnight and finally on to Colima on the 54, or would it be much simpler to take 54 all the way. Any suggestions would help.

RickS

Sep 3, 2012, 12:29 PM

Post #2 of 28 (15459 views)

Shortcut

Re: [apucko] Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

Personally I would drive the route you indicated.....

If by 54 you mean starting on it in Saltillo, I offer this information:

Getting on 54 from within Saltillo can be a problem because 1) you would have to drive right through the middle of Saltillo (I guess one could cut back over to 54 from the 57 cuota southeast of Saltillo, but....), and 2) the heart of Saltillo has been under major construction for 'years' and I doubt it has been completed yet. Detour signs don't exist in Mexico! as you probably know.

Having said that, much of 54 south from Saltillo to Zacatecas is a fairly new road and easily traveled. BUT, 54 south of Zacatecas down to Guadalajara is an older 2-lane road full of towns/villages and their topes. AND 54's approach to Guadalajara is very slow going through very winding roads through the barrancas (canyons). If you are interested in sigh-seeing, take this road once; if you are interested in making time, go the other route, IMHO.

apucko

Sep 4, 2012, 12:40 PM

Post #3 of 28 (15404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

Thanks Rick, 57 it is.

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Del Parque, Centro, Matehuala, S.L.P. in comparison to Las Palmas? Thank you

RickS

Sep 4, 2012, 1:03 PM

Post #4 of 28 (15396 views)

Shortcut

I did not end up staying there on my trip down last December but did check it out. It is 'downtown' and a few blocks of the main drag where all the other (Las Palmas et al) motels are found. It is a hotel as opposed to a motel.

Here is a description of it that I lifted from another blog last year.....

Hotel del Parque
Bocanegra 232
at the corner López Rayón,
Downtown, C.P. 78700,
Matehuala, San Luis Potosí, México

Hotel del Parque is a high-rise hotel in the center of downtown Matehuala is the best hotel in town. VERY nice, clean, secure, and much more reasonable than Las Palmas. Restaurant Los Jardines is open from 6:30am to 11pm. The food there wasn't 5 star, but adequate. Gated, underground parking was extremely secure.
http://www.delparquehotel.com

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Sep 4, 2012, 5:08 PM)

Anonimo

Sep 4, 2012, 4:51 PM

Post #5 of 28 (15373 views)

Shortcut

RickS, the link to the Hotel del Parque doesn't work.

Try this one http://www.delparquehotel.com/.

Saludos,
Anonimo

apucko

Sep 9, 2012, 9:38 AM

Post #6 of 28 (15240 views)

Shortcut

Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

When I arrive at SLP is it better to take 80/57 entering SLP then the anillo perifico S around the city or should I take 57D prior to arriving to SLP thus by passing SLP all together, then jumping back onto the 80 to villa de arriaga where the cuata starts. Gracias

RickS

Sep 9, 2012, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 28 (15223 views)

Shortcut

Disclaimer: I have not driven the Anillo Periferico South route, but I have driven the 57D/80......

While the Periferico S. route is shorter by 25km or so, it is quicker by at least 30 minutes to take the 57D/80. And that's if there is just 'normal' traffic within SLP. In addition the route out of SLP on 80 goes through several towns (topes?) and is twisty/turney as it goes out through the mountains towards Villa de Arriaga.

The 57D/80 route, however, will have cuota fees.....

Me, I'd take the 57D route every time unless there was an overwhelming reason to go through SLP.

apucko

Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #8 of 28 (15126 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again Rick,
I notice you had suggested to someone that the entry point of Reynosa being a better bet than Nuevo Laredo. Does that go for a novice driving into Mexico for the first time or no difference. If I choose reynosa as an entery point when I get to Monterrey would I still countour by the Perifica north of the city or drive throught south on the 40?

RickS

Sep 11, 2012, 12:37 PM

Post #9 of 28 (15122 views)

Shortcut

Actually it was not I that mentioned Reynosa as I have never crossed there..... it was probably robt65. But I do remember the question about going straight thru Monterrey vs. taking the Perifica north of the city coming from that direction.... the consensus was to take the Perifica as I recall.

Altahabana

Sep 11, 2012, 3:28 PM

Post #10 of 28 (15100 views)

Shortcut

Robert65 crosses at Andalzuas bridge in Mission because his home base in the US is near that bridge. You will be adding distance to your trip if you cross at Reynosa unless you live in the Valley or Corpus Christi.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Sep 11, 2012, 3:33 PM)

apucko

Sep 11, 2012, 4:22 PM

Post #11 of 28 (15086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

I am driving from Ontario and was hoping to save on time not milage, so if it's no faster than crossing at Nuevo Larado than I might as well stay the course from Houston and avoid the extra milage.
Thanks

rockydog85251

Sep 11, 2012, 5:20 PM

Post #12 of 28 (15083 views)

Shortcut

Where are you going to end up in Colima? From Guadalajara, it is very easy to get to the capitol & then most any other location. Just be aware that they are still widening the road from Sayula to the toll booth near the border of the 2 states, so there might be some delays. We will be driving this route on Sun & will advise road conditions.
Have a good trip!
Willie

robt65

Sep 11, 2012, 7:30 PM

Post #13 of 28 (15063 views)

Shortcut

Hello apucko,

The difference in mileage on the Aamerican side is no more than 6 miles total. (Correction) actually it is approximately eleven miles between Pharr and Mission bridges as per
http://www.distancebetweencities.net/...r_tx_and_mission_tx/

Regards,
robt65

(edited for mileage change)

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 12, 2012, 6:58 AM)

Altahabana

Sep 12, 2012, 4:38 AM

Post #14 of 28 (15053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

Not to quibble Robert but the difference is about 40 miles.

robt65

Sep 12, 2012, 6:14 AM

Post #15 of 28 (15042 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Altahabana,

Good to hear from you again. In hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I should have been more clear . . . . . I was speaking about the mileage between Pharr and Mission crossing. Actually it seems shorter because of the fast time on the Expressway 83 but in reality apparently it is 11 miles as per http://www.distancebetweencities.net/...r_tx_and_mission_tx/

Regards,
robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 12, 2012, 6:16 AM)

Altahabana

Sep 12, 2012, 1:20 PM

Post #16 of 28 (14991 views)

Shortcut

I understand what you mean now Robert. I was referring to the difference in distance between Houston--Laredo and Houston--Mission. Hope things are well with you and your family.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Sep 12, 2012, 2:15 PM)

careyeroslib

Sep 12, 2012, 1:30 PM

Post #17 of 28 (14990 views)

Shortcut

Apucko: When are you going, and where are you driving from in Ontario? I say that because we just got back from Mexico, driving from Puerto Vallarta to our Canadian base which is located between Toronto and Hamilton. This completed our 7th round trip between Ontario and Puerto Vallarta.

I´m working on a trip report of our recently completed trip, at least on the Mexican part, but with respect to Houston vs. Laredo, going through Houston has not been faster than going through Laredo area crossings (in our experience). We have crossed several times at Reynosa just because we felt like going that way, but it was slower and farther. There are much more efficient routes. For example, one time we drove from Toronto to Bowling Green, KY (about 13 hours), then the next day we drove to Lufkin, 12,5 hours on the road. No way could we make Houston in 2 days. On the other hand, crossing at Laredo (I think it was crossing at Columbia), we drove all the way from Greenville, Texas (just north of Dallas) all the way to Oakville in two days, cutting through Illinois.

For us, the fastest route has been either Port Huron, down through Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Laredo OR, Buffalo, Louisville, the Western Kentucky Parkway through to Arkansas, Laredo. We discovered the latter one time when we wanted to find a route that went south as quickly as possible (winter weather fears)

apucko

Sep 23, 2012, 7:17 AM

Post #18 of 28 (14646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Suggestions Driving Laredo to Colima

Gracias, so much everyone for your input, much appreciate. Carey, we'll be driving from Ottawa to Manzanillo, we figured about five or six days on the road should do it. I had plan on crossing at Gananoque, first night in Buffalo. Did you make it to Louisville and Little Rock and Laredo in two days? In Mexico we’ll be on to Matahuala then Guadalajara and hit Manzanillo on the third day. If you have your itinerary I will certainly use it. Anything to speed up the drive, I’ll have my wife as a co-pilot, so the less time spend cooped up in the van with the co-pilot the better. I hope she doesn’t read this or I’ll have a major issue on my hands. LOL

careyeroslib

Sep 24, 2012, 8:10 AM

Post #19 of 28 (14580 views)

Shortcut

HI Apucko: When are you going? We have a number of routes, but I would say this. If you are interesting in splitting up the distance between Buffalo and Guad, we have found Saltillo to Guadalajara is a better distance than Matehuala to Guadalajara. Saltillo to Laredo is about 4 hours (app.) so working back, we have only stayed in Matehuala once and Laredo twice (but only because we had to go to Laredo or other reasons, not because it was the most efficient place to stop).

I have my travel notes, just not at hand but I can dig them out. Our routes differ from when we are going north to when we are pushing south because we prefer to push through cities late at night rather face early morning rush hour traffic. (So, for example, going north we stay in Northeast Louisville, or Northeast Little Rock to avoid morning traffic in those cities. It´s like if we were going west through Ottawa, I´d probably aim for Nepean rather than Orleans.)

Basically, when we go south via Buffalo, we like to drive through Louisville and stay at either Shepperdsville, or 30 miles farther to Elizabethtown. (first day). That should work for you as you are starting from Buffalo (an hour south west from Oakville where we start). Then we cut across the Western Kentucky Parkway and stay somewhere in Arkansas on the I-30 corridor. We have stayed in Bryant and Benton, as well as Hot Springs. From there, day 3, we usually push on to somewhere between Austin and San Antonio (New Braunfels, San Marcos) They have a great new Texas Toll Road where you can go 80 mph bypassing Austin (a traditional bottle neck). Unfortunately I haven´t it taken it going south, but we did take it going north this time from New Braunfels. From New Braunfels, Austin or San Marcos, we go to Saltillo usually. From Saltillo to Guadalajara via San Luis Pitosí and Matejuala is an 8 to 10 hour day usually, allowing for construction, etc. We then proceed on to Puerto Vallarta. My favourite place to stay in Guad is Quinta Don Jose in Tlaquepaque. You get off the toll road and not long after you pull into their gated compound and no need to unpack or worry about your stuff. They have a restaurant onsite, nice bar. Just like coming home.

If I were planning the route today, I would definitely research the current best way to get from Texarkana to Laredo, if only because of this great new toll road which now bypasses Austin. We stopped going I-30 the whole way from Texarkana to San Antonio beause it was just too stressful so we found a more pleasant route, heading south and picking up I-30 again at San Marcos, but it is a bit slower.

Also, we crossed back at Piedras Negra this time for the first time and you might want to consider it as well. It´s very straightforward and, if you decide to stop at Saltillo, it´s very stressfree pretty much the whole way from the cut-off on I-35 (the highway from San Antonio to Laredo, until Saltillo. Immigration and where you get your car sticker are also a no-brainer, on the right and both in the same building, south of Piedras Negras in Mexico. Hardly any trucks on that route either.

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Sep 24, 2012, 8:17 AM)

Altahabana

Sep 24, 2012, 9:25 AM

Post #20 of 28 (14564 views)

Shortcut

I think you meant to say IH-35 instead of IH-30 when you described your recommended route. The quickest route from Texarkana to the southwest border would be State Highway (SH) 69 from Texarkana to Tyler and then SH 79 from Tyler to the new toll road that begins NE of Austin. That road skirts the Austin metro area (which can be very congested) and reconnects with IH-35 between Austin and San Marcos.

The cut off from IH-35 for Eagle Pass is at mile marker 114, about 40 miles south of downtown San Antonio. The highway to Eagle Pass is SH 57, the same number of the Mexican highway south from the border at Piedras/Eagle Pass. The immigration/vehicle permit station is in Allende which is about 30 miles south of Piedras on Hwy 57.

careyeroslib

Sep 24, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #21 of 28 (14540 views)

Shortcut

Right, Altahabana, IH-35, not IH-30. Thanks.

We have taken a slight variation on the above. From Texarkana, we took SH 59 to Marshall (Texas), then cut across on Highway 49 to SH 79 (and continuing as above). We went that way partly because we wanted to stay overnight in Marshall TX which has lots of accommodation right on the Highway.

Altahabana

Sep 24, 2012, 5:14 PM

Post #22 of 28 (14518 views)

Shortcut

Plus the route through east Texas is much more scenic than taking IH-30 or IH-20 to Dallas and then IH-35 south to the border.

apucko

Oct 1, 2012, 7:02 AM

Post #23 of 28 (14284 views)

Shortcut

Thanks all, the info supplied by all as been much appreciated and informative for our first driving trip into Mexico. I believe I’ll be taking the Houston route crossing at the McAllen crossing for peace of mind. I’ve loaded up my TomTom with all the pertinent information and we should be ready for the drive by the end of October.

I remember Quinta Don Jose in Tlaquepaque a very lovely place we stayed at a few years ago when we traveled Mexico for a couple of months with the Primera Plus system, thanks for reminding me of this wonderful place. We had planned on spending a few days in Guad on the way down that we have decided to stay there again.

Gracias

Altahabana

Oct 1, 2012, 8:34 AM

Post #24 of 28 (14264 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure what you mean by peace of mind. If you are talking about security, the situation isn't going to vary much between the McAllen, Laredo and Eagle Pass crossings. If you are talking about ease of crossing, you need to remember that there are three crossings in the McAllen area---Pharr, Hidalgo and Anzalduas/Mission--- within the span of 20 miles.

The crossing that Robert (whose US base is in Mission) recommends is Anzalduas which is the westernmost of the three McAllen crossings, the least crowded and which is the least complicated route to get you quickly onto the autopista to Monterrey. I certainly wouldn't recommend a first time driver cross at either Pharr or Hidalgo if ease and convenience (or security) are the reasons why you are choosing to cross in the McAllen area. I assume you are not talking about crossing at McAllen so you can take the route through central Tamaulipas (San Fernando--Cuidad Victoria).

My recommendation would be to follow the recommendation of your Canadian collegue, Careyeroslib, since it tracks the route from Ontario to the destination.

apucko

Oct 1, 2012, 12:39 PM

Post #25 of 28 (14227 views)

Shortcut

Point taken, we'll follow careyroslib's recommendation and go through Eagle Pass.Thanks again
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4