Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

carolgreen363

Aug 29, 2012, 5:29 PM

Post #1 of 5 (16533 views)

Shortcut

for roots and for wings

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola.

Trato de escribir un poema sobre aprender una lengua extranjera.

Cada estrofa del poema es una metáfora de un "paso" en el proceso de aprender la lengua extranjera - pasos que un 'niño' (la metáfora usada para representar la 'persona' que está aprendiendo la nueva lengua) da hacia la 'madre' (la metáfora usada para representar la 'nueva lengua').

La estrofa siguiente describe uno de estos pasos.

Tengo una pregunta sobre el verso en negrita. ¿Es posible usar la segunda opción presentada? ¿Es una opción mejor que la otra?

Das pasos en un jardín. (You take steps in a garden.)
Saboreas sólo el verde, (You taste only green...)

aunque ansías más colores. (though you long for more colores.)
Esperas la primavera, (You wait for spring...)
las raíces y las alas (the roots and the wings.) o por raíces y por alas (for roots and for wings.)

¡Muchas gracias por su ayuda!

Maesonna

Sep 1, 2012, 5:44 PM

Post #2 of 5 (16486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carolgreen363] for roots and for wings

I don't know whether there are any Spanish speakers here, although there are indeed a few members whose Spanish is up to answering your question. I find prepositions one of the most difficult things to master, as there are so many tricky differences between Spanish and English.

Regarding your question, I think the first option is the correct one. The second option (I believe) means “because of roots and because of wings,” which is not what you mean to say, if I understand correctly.

mazbook1

Sep 1, 2012, 7:48 PM

Post #3 of 5 (16479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] for roots and for wings

I would have a hunch, but that's all, just a hunch, that las raíces y las alas or por raíces y por alas is some sort of modismo (idiomatic use or slang), and therefore can't be literally translated. Even Google thinks the latter should be "by roots and wings" or an alternate (the only one that makes any sense) "on roots or wings"

esperanza

Sep 1, 2012, 9:55 PM

Post #4 of 5 (16469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carolgreen363] for roots and for wings

"las raíces y las alas (the roots and the wings.) o por raíces y por alas (for roots and for wings.)"

If it were my poem, I'd change that last line to:

que de su retoño de alas y raíces

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

zaragemca

Dec 17, 2013, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 5 (12008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] for roots and for wings

Saludos. The first expression mean, 'your foundation and your resources to go forward' . The second expression mean. ' working to obtain your foundation you resources to take off a project. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4