Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

joaquinx

Aug 18, 2012, 6:25 PM

Post #1 of 12 (8579 views)

Shortcut

Metrobús - Ruta 4

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone used the Ruta 4 Metrobuses? From reading the site and their map, it says that the buses run in both directions. Yet looking at a map, the streets on which they travel are one way. To me, it seems that the buses on the southern route head toward the airport, while those on the northern route head away.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

Aug 18, 2012, 9:35 PM

Post #2 of 12 (8554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Metrobús - Ruta 4

We do indeed use Line 4--in fact, we just used it today. Joaquinx, your take on how it runs is incorrect. It's the NORTH route that goes to San Lázaro and the airport and back, and the SOUTH route that wends its way through the Centro Histórico and back.

And yes, both lines go both directions. A couple of weeks ago I thought I would take the SOUTH route to Mercado la Merced and then the NORTH route from there back to the part of the city where I was going next, but I ended up taking the SOUTH route both ways. It's hard to envision how it's set up until you actually ride the Metrobús, but it is very ingenious.

From our home in la Condesa, we get on Line 1 going north, get off at Buenavista, and transfer to Line 4 to go wherever we want to go that it goes. Today we went on Line 4 from Buenavista to Isabel la Católica, walked three blocks up Isabel la Católica and met friends at a Centro Histórico restaurant for comida. It's easy, and transferring from line to line is free. We took a taxi home.

Cost difference: Metrobús to our destination, 5 pesos each. Taxi home, 50 pesos total.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

joaquinx

Aug 19, 2012, 11:17 AM

Post #3 of 12 (8523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Metrobús - Ruta 4

Ok, I'll have to try the route myself. Reading the Metrobús map and Google map is confusing. I have a feeling that the Metrobús map is dated.

Thanks!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Anonimo

Aug 19, 2012, 12:28 PM

Post #4 of 12 (8507 views)

Shortcut

What is the approximate travel time, Condesa to Aeropuerto?

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Aug 19, 2012, 1:35 PM

Post #5 of 12 (8501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Metrobús - Ruta 4

La Condesa on Metrobús Linea 1 leaving from Campeche or Chilpancingo, going to Buenavista: half an hour.
Buenavista to the airport on Line 4 NORTH: half an hour.

One caveat: yesterday the lines of people waiting for EACH of the two Linea 4 routes (NORTH and SOUTH) leaving Buenavista was probably 200 people long. If you were at the back of the line, your wait time was probably another 45 minutes, just to get on the Metrobús. Half an hour on the NORTH route from there to either T1 or T2.

Anonimo

Aug 19, 2012, 3:26 PM

Post #6 of 12 (8482 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like the Metrobus is a success story, but needs more vehicles to handle the demand.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Aug 19, 2012, 9:31 PM

Post #7 of 12 (8465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Metrobús - Ruta 4

Oh--and PS: the cost of the Metrobús from la Condesa to Buenavista: 5 pesos.
From Buenavista to the airport (either terminal): 30 pesos. Metrobús Linea 4 has luggage racks on board.

Taxi fare from la Condesa to the airport is about 180 pesos and takes about half an hour, depending on traffic. However, a taxi from the airport (ticket purchased from authorized vendors) TO la Condesa costs about 280 pesos.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 19, 2012, 9:33 PM)

Elizabeth63

Sep 18, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #8 of 12 (8077 views)

Shortcut

Would it be easier and faster to take the metro to the airport? I'm currently visiting La Contesa area and hope to try the subway back to the airport, instead of the expensive taxi. Plus with my INAPAM card I understand it's free.

La Isla

Sep 18, 2012, 10:06 AM

Post #9 of 12 (8067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elizabeth63] Metrobús - Ruta 4

I wouldn't take the Metro to the airport if I had any kind of bulky luggage, though a small carry-on bad probably wouldn't be a problem if you didn't plan to travel during rush hour.

joaquinx

Sep 18, 2012, 11:29 AM

Post #10 of 12 (8054 views)

Shortcut

Not knowing where in Condesa you are visiting, but just looking at the Metro map, it is either 1 or 2 change of routes to the airport. The possibility of lugging baggage up and down stairs (who can depend on the escalators working) is not my idea of saving money.
_______

esperanza

Sep 18, 2012, 11:49 AM

Post #11 of 12 (8049 views)

Shortcut

You do not want to take the Metro to the airport. In the first place, luggage is not usually allowed on the Metro, unless it is a simple backpack.

Your best bet is to take the Metrobús Line 1 from la Condesa (note spelling) north to the Buenavista stop (cost: 5 pesos). From there, transfer to the Metrobús Line 4 (northern route) to either Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 at the airport, depending on which terminal your plane will depart from. Cost: 30 pesos. Time to get there: about an hour.

On the other hand, a taxi that will come pick you up at your place in la Condesa and take you to the airport is easiest and from la Condesa will cost well under 200 pesos and take about half an hour.

Which is more important, saving a little money or saving a lot of time and hassle? Only you can decide.

Elizabeth63

Sep 18, 2012, 2:09 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8032 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for all the quick replies! I will be visiting here for 7 weeks, (I live in Chapala) and it's reassuring to me to have support when I need it. I only travel with a smallish backpack, so I feel confident I can take the metro. Also, I will not be going to the airport near rush-hour times...as I have heard that is not advisable. I'll probably be posting here again for more information as the need arises...great to have these websites to read for such valuable information and insights. Muchas gracias.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4