Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

wearechange

Aug 9, 2012, 11:16 AM

Post #1 of 8 (6364 views)

Shortcut

Need tequila and charanda recommendations

Can't Post | Private Reply
Going to a party this weekend and would like some pointers from Expats because they usually know more about tequila than Mexicans. The current fad is to drink whiskey/whisky. Regarding charanda I haven´t had any for about 25 yrs. Thanks!

joaquinx

Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM

Post #2 of 8 (6356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Need tequila and charanda recommendations

I haven't had charanda in over 8 years, yet I still have the morning after headache.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

Aug 9, 2012, 11:34 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6351 views)

Shortcut

For charanda, I recommend Charanda de Uruapan.

For tequila, I recommend MEZCAL--not tequila at all. There is a good bit of artisan mezcal made in Michoacán; you might enjoy one of the mezcales made in Tzitzio (east of Morelia) or one made in Oponguio (near Erongarícuaro). I personally prefer mezcal over tequila, but YMMV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

GringoCArlos

Aug 9, 2012, 4:21 PM

Post #4 of 8 (6319 views)

Shortcut

Are the other party guests mainly Mexicans, or mainly other expats? If Mexicans, I have always received smiles when I showed up with a bottle of Don Julio Reposado tequila. Costs about 200-225 pesos, and it's good tequila. Another good choice is Gran Centenario Reposado, slightly less costly - about 180 pesos, and a beautiful bottle. Also, most Mexicans drink their tequila mixed with Squirt or similar, and not straight up like most NOBers seem to do.

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Aug 9, 2012, 4:30 PM)

esperanza

Aug 9, 2012, 5:30 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6305 views)

Shortcut

I finally remembered the name of my favorite Michoacán mezcal: La Perla de Tzitzio. It is wonderful, smooth and not too smoky.

And btw, I don't know anybody who drinks charanda in anything but ponche navideño--Christmas punch. If you drink it straight, it will probably give you that 8-year headache that joaquinx talked about. It would be the last kind of liquor I would take to a party.

wearechange

Aug 17, 2012, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 8 (6119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Need tequila and charanda recommendations

Tried some Azul Tequila. Not expensive (yet) and smooth. Where can I find the mezcal from Tzitzio other than in that town?

esperanza

Aug 17, 2012, 9:35 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6112 views)

Shortcut

Call Restaurante San Miguelito in Morelia at 443 324 4411. They will be able to tell you.

A friend is bringing me a bottle today, from Tzitzio!

AND--if you want a super refreshing drink, try a shot of mezcal in a tall glass over ice; fill with grapefruit soda. Delicious!

petrcohon

Nov 1, 2012, 4:48 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Need tequila and charanda recommendations

In Reply To
Call Restaurante San Miguelito in Morelia at 443 324 4411. They will be able to tell you.

A friend is bringing me a bottle today, from Tzitzio!

AND--if you want a super refreshing drink, try a shot of mezcal in a tall glass over ice; fill with grapefruit soda. Delicious!

las mesitas mezcal de oaxaca in a shot glass straight for sipping. any mix is heresy. anything other than oaxaca, is mezcal that ain't the true goods. 42-45% alcohol is true mezcal. the worm thing is for tourists only and is rot gut.
charanda reserva del rey 111 is 35% and requires only agua and a twist of limon. charanda is the state booze of michoacan. neither have ever given me a hangover and the latter is only 28 pesos.
soda mix will give you the hangover.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4