Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ekammin

Jun 20, 2012, 1:56 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3261 views)

Shortcut

Health Insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are considering retiring to Mexico (Chapala, Mazatlan or S. Miguel de Allende, if we can afford it) but find our biggest roadblock is the matter of health care, most particularly, the functioning of the IMSS, which strikes me as being even more complicated than that of Ontario’s OHIP (if such a thing is possible).
AsI understand it, there are some conditions the IMSS will not cover for one, two or three years after enrollment, and some conditions in which use of a private hospital would seem prudent. Evidently, in these cases, we would need some health insurance. Also, to complicate matters, we are both over 75, which makes some insurance companies recoil in horror..
As well, there are evidently some conditions that would preclude one’s joining the IMSS at all. I tried getting more information on this from a Mexican Government website, but just found a long treatise on asbestos-related lung diseases, which does not apply to us (hell, we’re both even non-smokers).
We wouild appreciate any help in pointing us to an insurance company that might be able the insurance we would need.

Rolly

Jun 20, 2012, 3:13 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Health Insurance

You'll find several choices detailed here.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Jun 20, 2012, 4:27 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Health Insurance

Can't Post |
Rolly, ¿did you ever qualify for IMSS health insurance in Mexico? ...(the Ops are over 75)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rolly

Jun 20, 2012, 5:38 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Health Insurance

I never tried again after I was refused the first time.
I'm glad I went the self-insured route.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Jun 20, 2012, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Health Insurance

Can't Post |
Ex-pats Lake side were/are having problems getting health care, when trying to join after 70.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

careyeroslib

Jun 20, 2012, 6:14 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Health Insurance

Hi Ekammin: You sound as if you are from Ontario. Yes? Ok, you can be out of Ontario 212 days out of 365 and still be covered by OHIP. After 75, this is your best bet. Keep a trailer, a cabin, anything in Ontario. Supplement this with SkyMed or other evacuation insurance. It provides evacutation insurance back to Canada in the case of catastropic illness to a hospital of your choice. If it isn´t catastophic, just pay as you go. Tests, routine physicals, etc. Pay as you go in Mexico.

As a previous poster said, you aren´t going to get anything remotely affordable in Mexico if you are over 75, so, the best thing is to self-insure and, if you can, keep what you have in Ontario as a backup.

Moisheh

Jul 1, 2012, 11:47 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Health Insurance

Not only is Mexican Health Insurance for older persons expensive the coverage can be poor. One can buy expat insurance with a large deductable that may work for you. Skymed may not help in your case. I think that once you have been out of Ontario for that 212 days you have to return and reapply with some sort of waiting period. You cannot just show up in an air ambulance and be covered. Pesonally I would never bother with IMSS. In some areas it is alright ( not great) and in others the local vet would do a better job. There are some excellent medical facilities in Mexico but they are not cheap unless you are comparing to US costs.

Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4