Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jennifer rose

Nov 18, 2002, 5:51 PM

Post #1 of 20 (6576 views)

Shortcut

"Ajijic esta en Jalisco?"

Can't Post |
Afternoon, DHL office in Morelia. I hand over two small boxes, still shrinkwrapped, along with a piece of paper on which the recipient’s name, complete address, state, codigo postal, and phone number have been printed. I tell the clerk that I’ll need a DHL box for these items.

“Not until you complete this factura,” she says, sliding a multi-part form to me.

“I do not believe that I am required to complete this factura,” I tell her.

“Oh yes you are,” she retorts, adding that I should keep the figures low to keep the taxes low.

“I am not! And there is no tax.”

“Yes there is. You won’t have to pay the tax, but the recipient will. The tax will be determined at aduana.” Like she’s talking to a retarded child.

“But this is only going to Jalisco.”

“It still has to go through aduana.”

“Since when? You mean to tell me there’s an aduana between Michoacán and Jalisco?”

“It has to go through aduana before it can go to Jalisco.”

“Is this some new kind of law that was enacted while I was sleeping?”

“I’m telling you….this has to go to aduana, and there will be tax on it.”

“And I’m telling you this much. There will not be any tax on this. Understand? It will not have to go to the aduana. It will be delivered directly within the Mexican Republic. There is no duty on shipments of software between Jalisco and Michoacán. I promise you that much. I am not making this up. Believe me.”

The clerk looks at the address again, and says “Ajijic’s in Jalisco?”

To which an old man waiting in line, chimed in, “Yes, Ajijic is in Jalisco, Jalisco is in Mexico, and there is no damn duty!”

The poor clerk turned beet red.

(This post was edited by jenniferrose on Nov 19, 2002, 5:53 PM)

Georgia

Nov 18, 2002, 6:08 PM

Post #2 of 20 (6285 views)

Shortcut

New Mexico is in the United States?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Happens everywhere. Don't be disheartened. My daughter was attending school in New Mexico where she met the love of her life, a Texan. They were to be married in New York in 1983. She was a New Mexico resident. I went to the city clerk to find out what she had to do to get her marriage license since she was living in New Mexico. I was told she had to go to her consulate.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, "I must have misspoken, that's New Mexico, not Mexico."

"I heard you the first time, dearie. And since when is New Mexico part of the United States. You're trying to get illegal immigrants in here, I know."

Couldn't convince her. Gave up. Went to another clerk.

And I did want to move back to Boston, where most people knew that New Mexico is part of the USA.

They're all out there ... in positions of responsibility, and I seem to run into them all!

skwala

Nov 19, 2002, 3:02 PM

Post #3 of 20 (6184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] New Mexico is in the United States?

My aunt lived in Albuquerque. On a trip to New York, she wanted some purchases sent home. The clerk brightened and told her that she new a lot about Albuquerque; her sunday schoo had a missionary there.

Skwala

alex .

Nov 19, 2002, 3:34 PM

Post #4 of 20 (6192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] cy-oks indians

In first grade we built tee-pees in class as our teacher was presenting a lesson about what she called the cy-oks (Sioux) Indians. Mom had a fit, went to the school and told the lady off.
Alex

DavidMcL

Nov 19, 2002, 5:35 PM

Post #5 of 20 (6164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex in TJ] cy-oks indians

In Reply To
cy-oks

Aren't they based in Seattle?
David McL
WebJefe

arbon

Nov 19, 2002, 6:22 PM

Post #6 of 20 (6146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] cy-oks indians

Can't Post |
Good one David,I missed it,laughing & thinking of a boy named "Sue"

arbon

Nov 19, 2002, 8:33 PM

Post #7 of 20 (6120 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well David,before I came to Canada. I thought the O'Keefe Ranch was in the O'Kanagan Valley.Wink

pedro naco

Nov 19, 2002, 8:41 PM

Post #8 of 20 (6116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] cy-oks indians

Can't Post |
not seattle-its my understanding that the cy-oks were chaste in alberta and ended up in some foy-ay or is that foy-err.

DavidMcL

Nov 19, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #9 of 20 (6108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] cy-oks indians

Dinja know? The O'Gopogo grew up on the O'Keefe Ranch, and was weaned on O'Keefe beer before he was released into the O'Kanagan lake, which is the northern neigbour of the O'Kanogan river in Warshington, which exports its M'AcIntosh apples to Mexico!

(hadda get a m'Mexico relevant part in there or the W'Ebjefe might delete it!
David McL
WebJefe

arbon

Nov 19, 2002, 9:11 PM

Post #10 of 20 (6097 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
But David there was a Mex-connection,when the Spanish were looking for gold,some went South & some went North,every time they asked where to look, they were directed North,until they got to Sage Mesa,winter was setting in, so they turned around & went back.Never got the gold, just cold.

esperanza

Nov 19, 2002, 9:17 PM

Post #11 of 20 (6100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] cy-oks indians

Actually, they took up baseball and moved to a couple of large cities in the USA...and became the Boston Red Sy-ocks and the Chicago White Sy-ocks,

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Mereja

Nov 20, 2002, 6:49 PM

Post #12 of 20 (6028 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Isn't the Okanagan River area the only place that there are those little animals called nagas that you get naugahide from?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I knew somebody who actually beieved this story.

pedro naco

Nov 21, 2002, 5:19 AM

Post #13 of 20 (6002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] cy-oks indians

Can't Post |
my wife is a school teacher(grade6) and last wk. she had occassion to mention her grandmother who is 102 has seen many changes in her life(they were discussing the beginning of 20th century).

one little fellow raised his hand and asked in all sincerity"wasn't every thing in black and white then-they didn't have colour did they".

Georgia

Nov 21, 2002, 5:36 AM

Post #14 of 20 (6000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] cy-oks indians

I believe you have that confused with Cryllics. These furry little creatures from are fascinating. They invented an alphabet and, if you own one, you will find that a cryllic coat is very warm - almost like mink.

pedro naco

Nov 21, 2002, 3:50 PM

Post #15 of 20 (5962 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
actually georgia,you're confused-the cryllics were a lesser known tex/mex rock band who used to open for the nylons at their live concerts-i know this because my cousin gerry used to play for them before he became famous.

pedro garcia

Georgia

Nov 21, 2002, 4:40 PM

Post #16 of 20 (5951 views)

Shortcut

Your cousin, Jerry, was he, by any chance, born on the mountain on the south side of the Lake at the Jocotepec end? You know, Cerro Garcia.

esperanza

Nov 21, 2002, 4:51 PM

Post #17 of 20 (5951 views)

Shortcut

You people are nuts. I love it.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

pedro naco

Nov 21, 2002, 4:56 PM

Post #18 of 20 (5949 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
you've got the wrong gerry ,georgia, my cousin is greatfully dead.

pedro garcia

Georgia

Nov 21, 2002, 6:00 PM

Post #19 of 20 (5948 views)

Shortcut

Ah. Le acompaño en sentimiento.

Gone away

Nov 21, 2002, 9:56 PM

Post #20 of 20 (5965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jenniferrose] "Ajijic-Dog's dead let him sleep in peace now!!!!!

Can't Post |
This has been flogged to death by now, time to quit and go on to bigger and better things.

(This post was edited by RM on Nov 21, 2002, 9:58 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4