Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mensamia

Jun 13, 2012, 5:45 PM

Post #1 of 35 (10870 views)

Shortcut

letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

Can't Post | Private Reply
I cant help wondering why this link is not on this forum. It is certainly pertinent. Could save some lives. Or are property values more important?

http://www.insidelakeside.com/...nned-from-tob-update

DavidHF

Jun 13, 2012, 6:21 PM

Post #2 of 35 (10850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

It was first posted on Crapola.com earlier today. I hope the OP put it on Lakeside Crime as well.

tashby

Jun 13, 2012, 9:48 PM

Post #3 of 35 (10819 views)

Shortcut

I cant help wondering why this link is not on this forum.

Seriously? Why doesn't that letter appear on this forum???

Maybe because that letter was first posted publicly on the internet about 4 hours ago, and describes an event that happened here 5 weeks ago, that everybody who has been paying attention already knows about.

Or there's some conspiracy going on to keep you uninformed.

Welcome back, mensamia.

johninajijic

Jun 13, 2012, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 35 (10816 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

Because it's old news.

arbon

Jun 14, 2012, 9:08 AM

Post #5 of 35 (10736 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread

"He also confirmed that a foreigner had been abducted while walking his dogs; one dog was killed and the man and another woman being held, were Released after being held overnight. This man and his family have since gone into hiding and will be leaving the area.

The third incident he addressed consisted of a foreign couple abducted from Chapala Haciendas along with three Mexicans; when brought to a hostage-holding house, the person in charge released the couple stating "we don't want anything to do with foreigners." "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mensamia

Jun 14, 2012, 5:32 PM

Post #6 of 35 (10643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

thanks Tashby,

doubt I am important enough for a conspiracy but speaking of conspiracy theories, wonder why Chapala.com, one of the largest expat information sites in the area has decided to stop reporting crimes (too many perhaps?, or bad for real estate?

bronco

Jun 16, 2012, 1:08 PM

Post #7 of 35 (10444 views)

Shortcut

chapalawebboard.com does discuss crimes, they just dont want long threads w/rumors. they may let a member mention a crime, but they monitor the thread carefully. (as it became too crazy during kidnap murder week). it is not "crap"-ola. they did post the victims story (expat) & pinned it. the next day it disappeared. this is not a site that specializes in reports. i contacted the victim (daniel) & suggested he post report on "lakesidecrimetrackers.com". (he did). why doesn't someone cut & paste that report & post it here? it was just reported few days ago, listed may 4th (or 6th).

bronco

Jun 16, 2012, 1:15 PM

Post #8 of 35 (10444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

if you go to lakesidecrimetrackers, the entire letter is posted. there have been many other incidents on hiking trail over the last several years. some reported some not, most attacks in broad daylight. in spite of this people are hiking, knowing the info, even the last horror. im not my brothers keeper, its their choice.

Rolly

Jun 16, 2012, 1:45 PM

Post #9 of 35 (10437 views)

Shortcut

why doesn't someone cut & paste that report & post it here? it was just reported few days ago, listed may 4th (or 6th).
Why not you?

Rolly Pirate

bronco

Jun 16, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #10 of 35 (10377 views)

Shortcut

the original letter from TOB is now re-posted on insidelakesideforum, mirador discussion. i believe this will be moved to the crime area which is in octagon section. as i recall when this was first posted on TOB, the victim signed his name- daniel. who edited it? the TOB? & why? the email was sent from europe. he was clear about that in his post.

mensamia

Jun 17, 2012, 8:41 AM

Post #11 of 35 (10301 views)

Shortcut

someone edited it to protect him and his family. Perhaps they did not realize he had already left the country. Or maybe the protection was for family or friends still in the area.

bronco

Jun 17, 2012, 1:10 PM

Post #12 of 35 (10247 views)

Shortcut

the man himself signed the letter, he 100% safe w/his family. no friends are @ risk. the man is very careful, & he wanted to also think people so he put his name. guess TOB is big sis. he is in EUROPE. the letter should be posted here. as well as a new yahoo group called chapalacrime. i noticed there are like 4 members but no messages. have no idea who the members are. if the letter is posted -w/out added dialogue, (clean & clear)- it will appear on google. thats where it should be. i also hope the new lakesidecrimetracker site featured it in the little moving box, it is posted now on the crime list.

mensamia

Jun 17, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #13 of 35 (10239 views)

Shortcut

Good idea, here is the letter, originally posted on www.insidelakeside.com on June 13, 2012

On Sunday May 6th 2012 as I came down at night from a hike on the mountains above Ajijic near the Tepalo waterfalls, I ran into a group of 3 or 4 gangsters that had kidnapped 4 people (3 young men and a young woman). One of the gangsters shot one of my dogs and threatened to shoot me too. They joined me to the group and forced us to hike up the mountain through the bushes off the trails. A couple of times they made us sit on the ground. Way up the mountain they made us all lie down for several hours at gunpoint. Meanwhile the gangsters were constantly receiving cell phone calls or text messages and sometimes they were joking and laughing amongst each other. I also picked up fragments of their whispered conversations about shooting and dumping us. All I could do was pray to God that I would be unharmed and that my family would be OK. Many times when they neared me from behind I thought they were about to finish us off. After a long and chilly wait all night, their cell phone batteries were running low. They suddenly tied the hands of the woman and me and we were miraculously left behind. They warned us not to come down before 9 or 10 am. The other three young men were taken away. Their bodies showed up a few days later among the 18 butchered corpses discovered in Ixtlahuacan. They were the three waiters from San Juan Cosala. As the gangsters took all of my belongings, including my ID, I was worried that their cell leader might send them or other gangsters looking for me as a witness (even though I never saw any of their faces), so our family went hiding at a friendís house where we spent the nights until we were able to leave the country last Sunday (thanks so much guys, that was a tremendous blessing and a great act of hospitality!). Meanwhile we tried as best as we could to sell our belongings and get organized to move out of Mexico. With this situation on hand and the rapid escalation of violence and crime in the area, we no longer felt Lakeside could offer us a safe environment to raise a family and have reasonable business prospects. Our family of 6 had lived at Lakeside for 13 years and we loved it. Two of our children were born at Lakeside.

There have been lots of rumors about this event. One of them apparently came from the police chief, who said during the meeting on the Ajijic plaza that the tugs had told me they let me go because they donít mean harm to foreigners. Fact is they never said such a thing and this might create a false sense of security among the foreign community at Lakeside. From my very first encounter with the kidnappers, I had always looked down to avoid looking at their faces. I repeatedly told them I hadnít seen any of their faces and asked them not to harm me because I had a family. I suspect that maybe they let the woman and me go because of limited transportation capability. And God answers prayer!

Some people pointed out that my hiking on the mountains after dark was very imprudent. I had done it for years, though, and never had felt in danger before. That night, however, I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and I met my destiny.

Now weíve arrived safely at our new home far away from Mexico and are starting a new life. I want to express my deep felt gratitude to all the lovely people who went out of their way to help us out, to the new friends we made, to all the people who bought some of our stuff, to the folks who adopted my dog Daisy and my two cats. I also thank the gangsters for letting me go unharmed. I pray they will understand the immense evil they have committed and will repent and turn their lives around, while accepting the just punishment for their wrongdoing.

I also thank the moderator of this board for helping with filtering out any information in posts that might have given clues about our identity or whereabouts during the past month.

I ask for forgiveness to the young woman and (unfortunately too late) to the 3 young men, because in my ignorance and despair I mistakenly blamed them for being involved in criminal activities, which caused all of us to end up in the situation we found ourselves in. Yet, they were innocent, just like me. May they rest in peace and their loved ones once again find peace also.

Greetings to all the friends we left behind and to all our customers who allowed us to make a living during all these years. We will miss you.

Sincerely,

Edited

(This post was edited by mensamia on Jun 17, 2012, 1:34 PM)

cookj5

Jun 17, 2012, 7:34 PM

Post #14 of 35 (10182 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
if you go to lakesidecrimetrackers, the entire letter is posted. there have been many other incidents on hiking trail over the last several years. some reported some not, most attacks in broad daylight. in spite of this people are hiking, knowing the info, even the last horror. im not my brothers keeper, its their choice.

Except for the foreigner who wrote the letter everyone is referring to, all of those kidnapped in the recent series of abductions were taken from very public areas such as the Carretera highway or the Ajijic Malecon. As he said in his letter, he just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time when he stumbled upon a group of kidnappers leading several victims through the mountains. These unfortunates were abducted off the Carretera, a very busy highway, not in the mountains. There is no evidence that there are kidnappers roaming the mountain trails, looking for victims. I am familiar with a handful of incidents in the mountains over recent years, but the number is tiny compared to incidents in populated areas.

As a regular hiker, I never hike alone, or after dark, as the foreigner habitually did, and I am always prepared for emergencies. I feel safer in Ajijic's mountains than its busy streets. Further, I feel safer here at Lake Chapala than I ever did living in San Francisco, L.A., or Portland OR before moving to Mexico.

bronco

Jun 18, 2012, 8:15 PM

Post #15 of 35 (10092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

re read my post. i never said were other kidnaps there. there have been several INCIDENTS there, in broad daylight, over the several years. i know of @least 7 or 8 confirmed. one highly publicized (a friend), one reported, other victims too scared to step foward. also mexicans. daniel was the only one experienced this kind of crime in that location. clear? no one is stopping you from hiking there, certainly not me.

mensamia

Jun 19, 2012, 7:05 AM

Post #16 of 35 (10045 views)

Shortcut

. daniel was the only one experienced this kind of crime in that location. clear? no one is stopping you from hiking there, certainly not me.

maybe Daniel was the only one who had the money to pick up and leave the country.. and then write the letter. I would imagine any kidnap vicitms that got away with their lives would not write about it while still living there.

bronco

Jun 19, 2012, 1:09 PM

Post #17 of 35 (9991 views)

Shortcut

yes. there were 10 people who escaped a kidnap right after that. (different location & they were mexican, we all know the story). no they are not writing about, especially if the kidnappers have their I.D.s i honestly dont know of any other foreign people who have been kidnaped here in this area. (you never know). as for the other hiking attacks, they were quite dangerous. my friend had an award posted but no luck. understand we did not have a crime web-sight before. so "guad reporter" did the best they could. (also what is this "grain of sand" thing? i like your posts, but its like a chronic advertisement. sounds like a spa. sorry had to say that).

mensamia

Jun 19, 2012, 1:56 PM

Post #18 of 35 (9979 views)

Shortcut

Bronco, it is from a poem by William Blake, written centuries ago and still true now. He was referring to the microcosm/macrocosm aspect of life which is recently scientifically trendy... but he was referring to it centuries ago. Our world is but a grain of sand, floating in a gigantic, immeasurable solar system. It puts things in perspective for me. He talks about eternity and infinity and how they are all relative. All we really have is here... and now.

bronco

Jun 19, 2012, 5:16 PM

Post #19 of 35 (9948 views)

Shortcut

yes i knew. but repetition diminishes the impact. meanwhile to return to topic: i read that kidnaps w/foreigners are more prevalent in mexico city. not so much in guad. (thank you for the poem).

cbviajero

Jun 19, 2012, 5:19 PM

Post #20 of 35 (9948 views)

Shortcut

Have either you or bronco ever posted a single positive thing about Mexico?

mensamia

Jun 20, 2012, 5:07 AM

Post #21 of 35 (9894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

If I want to read the positive spin there are tons of commercial and real estate sites that describe it as paradise. I want to know what is happening because I own land in Mexico and don't want to build until it is much safer. The positive stuff about Mexico doesn't bother me, but the crime does... so I talk about it, trying to understand it, trying to find resolution.

mensamia

Jun 20, 2012, 5:10 AM

Post #22 of 35 (9890 views)

Shortcut

you're welcome, point duly noted. Can you please supply the link where you learned that foreigners are targeted more for kidnapping in Mexico City?

I met an female English journalist in Mexico City in 2009, and at the time the kidnapping and extortion had been going on for some time. She told me that as a journalist, she wanted to report it, but as a mother she wanted to protect herself and her children. She feared reprisals against journalists and told me that crime against foreigners was greatly under-reported. She told me after living in Mexico for nearly 20 years, she was leaving for a safer place... and this was in 2009. She warned me then that being a gringo in many parts of Mexico was not going to be safe. I didn't heed her message and bought the land anyway in what I thought was a safe area. Several foreigners have been killed in that 'safe' area. Now I am heeding her message... and sharing it.

(This post was edited by mensamia on Jun 20, 2012, 5:26 AM)

johninajijic

Jun 20, 2012, 7:17 AM

Post #23 of 35 (9863 views)

Shortcut

mensamia - On and on about this incident that is "old" news and history now. You people go on and on about so much crap. It's one of many stories of Lake Chapala area. You own land here and want to know when it's safe to build on Paradise. Well maybe never for you because you're paranoid. Stay where you are, it's safer in Mexico than where you live NOB.

Rolly

Jun 20, 2012, 7:28 AM

Post #24 of 35 (9859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

To put it a bit more delicately than John, there is little to no chance that the security issues in all of Mťxico will improve in the foreseeable future. There is some talk that the next administration may withdraw the army. Whether that will change much is debatable.

Rolly Pirate

johninajijic

Jun 20, 2012, 10:03 AM

Post #25 of 35 (9828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] letter from Ajijic kidnap victim

I'm sorry, but I disagree and only time will tell. We all can hope for the best.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4