Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

michoacan

Jun 9, 2012, 10:02 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2792 views)

Shortcut

NAFTA Under $50.00 Exemption Eliminated?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I used to send things from the USA to myself and pay no import duty. Limitations were, the items had to have been made in USA, were listed on the "allowable items" SHCP/SAT list, and were accompanied by a machine printed receipt from the seller. Is this policy still in effect? I find the demand of paying 44% import duty on a forty dollar made-in-USA item to be a little stiff. A nickel and dime cross-border shipping company is the culprit and no there are zero options for where I live.

Does Hacienda have a web page where this type of information is covered?

Thank You

Bennie García

Jun 9, 2012, 12:17 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michoacan] NAFTA Under $50.00 Exemption Eliminated?

In Reply To
I used to send things from the USA to myself and pay no import duty. Limitations were, the items had to have been made in USA, were listed on the "allowable items" SHCP/SAT list, and were accompanied by a machine printed receipt from the seller. Is this policy still in effect? I find the demand of paying 44% import duty on a forty dollar made-in-USA item to be a little stiff. A nickel and dime cross-border shipping company is the culprit and no there are zero options for where I live.

Does Hacienda have a web page where this type of information is covered?

Import duty or total charges for the service including their fee and shipping?

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Jun 9, 2012, 1:59 PM)

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 9, 2012, 1:52 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2752 views)

Shortcut

michoacan sez:

I used to send things from the USA to myself and pay no import duty.

In the past, how did you send these things to yourself?

Via the Post Office? Package delivery service? Just curious if it makes a difference.

A...cross-border shipping company is the culprit.

Is the 44% import duty they're charging you on top of their shipping charges?

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

michoacan

Jun 9, 2012, 1:59 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] NAFTA Under $50.00 Exemption Eliminated?

D.H.L. and FedEx. Both offices claimed the under fifty dollar rule was in effect.

It affected only Aduana duty of course. Adding twenty two dollars twenty cents to each shipment is not peanuts.

rockydog85251

Jun 9, 2012, 6:58 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2700 views)

Shortcut

I order our herbal supplements from the US....just the ones I can't get here and the company charges about $25 USD per order for international shipping, on top of the handling charge which isn't much. One time I got a call from the aduana's office in GDL, telling me the order was being returned to the shipper because there was something wrong with the paperwork. They reshipped and I received the 2nd pkg with no problems. A couple of orders later, another call came from the "aduana"...after speaking to the very nice young man - in English - he explained that there is now a new rule that the pkg cannot weigh over 2 kilos without having to have import documents and pay duty !!! So he returned that shipment too! I was finally able to find out the he was actually in the DHL office but worked for the aduana. I then placed a call to the shipper and after a long time (toll free) they finally came back on line and confirmed that yes, there is a new weight limit. So now they ship in smaller increments and everything seems ok - so far.....now awaiting a new shipment that should arrive any day.
Willie

michoacan

Jun 10, 2012, 9:16 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] NAFTA Under $50.00 Exemption Eliminated?

Thank you. My shipments are under two kilos, well under that.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4