Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

sparks

Jun 7, 2012, 6:36 AM

Post #1 of 3 (11950 views)

Shortcut

Green almonds

Can't Post | Private Reply
I ended up on this board Google searching for green almonds with the header below from 2005 but it turned out to be about garbanzos

green almond-like things sold on the street

Searching because my almond tree has almonds and a neighbor says they are good green ... with sal y limon like everything else.

I also get the idea Mexican almonds are not the same type that are grown in California and dried.

Only seem to find gourmet cooking articles on green almonds

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

sfmacaws

Jun 8, 2012, 4:03 PM

Post #2 of 3 (11899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Green almonds

I'm guessing that what you have is a tropical almond, Terminalia catappa, which is common along tropical coastlines. The first time someone told me it was an almond I didn't believe them because it looks nothing like the almond trees in Calif. In fact, it is not related to those almonds. It is used in cooking and has an almond flavor. There is a small amount of pulp around the seed which is what I've seen used for cooking, the seeds are also eaten but generally raw. I've never cooked with it, although I've eaten cookies and other baked goods made with it and they were good and almond tasting. The trees are very, very common over on this side of MX and they are a very attractive tree, with a wide flat shape and they can get quite tall. They do lose a lot their leaves in the winter and look pretty sparse for a short time. They are very resistant to salt and grow in the sand close to the water, a good tree for beach front. Google the latin name or look for Tropical Almond on some of the better garden sites.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sparks

Jun 8, 2012, 4:17 PM

Post #3 of 3 (11893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Green almonds

That's it by descrption and fotos. Very common here on the west coast. Had to replant it after Jove as the roots were not deep enough but lots of them down then. Thanks

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4