Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

salto_jorge

Jun 3, 2012, 5:51 AM

Post #1 of 5 (8960 views)

Shortcut

Has anyone used Stair Tread material inside their homes

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone purchased any product(s) that are gritty and can be applied to the outer edge of inside marble stairs?

Let me know if you know of a product, when at my local big box store, I was unable to find someone who could help me, just a blank stare or two.

I took a good tumble (again) down several steps and decided enough was enough after a few bumps, road rash and a visit to the green cross folks for a stich or two in my elbow. Green Cross has very short lines compared to a full service hospital when one is leaking blood and they have the tools to clean and sew one up.

AlanMexicali

Jun 3, 2012, 9:09 AM

Post #2 of 5 (8939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Has anyone used Stair Tread material inside their homes

In Reply To
"Has anyone purchased any product(s) that are gritty and can be applied to the outer edge of inside marble stairs?

Let me know if you know of a product, when at my local big box store, I was unable to find someone who could help me, just a blank stare or two.

I took a good tumble (again) down several steps and decided enough was enough after a few bumps, road rash and a visit to the green cross folks for a stich or two in my elbow. Green Cross has very short lines compared to a full service hospital when one is leaking blood and they have the tools to clean and sew one up."

http://www.directindustry.es/prod/brady-identification-solutions/revestimientos-de-suelo-antideslizantes-19105-748513.html

A Google Mx. Search: Los dispositivos antideslizante cinta para pisos

Try a swimming pool builder and supply company. I would also go to Grainger Industrial Supply as they have all safety items and sell to the public in Mexico. In thier seach: "antideslizante cinta" They have Brady tape in many widths listed.

http://www.grainger.com.mx/grainger

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 3, 2012, 9:27 AM)

YucaLandia

Jun 3, 2012, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8929 views)

Shortcut

A simple quick-fix may be to go to Home Depot or other Mexican retailer carrying 3M products, and buy a roll or sheet of 3M's "Safety Walk" tape or stick-on treads. We have been using them on slick ceramic tiles, marble flooring, concrete bull-nose stair tread edges, on the bathtub / shower-stall plastic and fiberglass floors for the past 4 years, and they worked really well, and we have not had a single failure, even in damp, wet, or sun-exposed applications.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

robt65

Jun 3, 2012, 11:51 AM

Post #4 of 5 (8910 views)

Shortcut

Good Morning Jorge,

There are several kinds of materials out there for the need you have, as I am sure you are aware. You can order on line from a NOB Home Depot or Lowe's for such adhesive backed material. You can also, (depending upon the material the stairs are made of) tape some straight lines (vertically or horizontally) on the steps, such as a liquid polymer, and sprinkle some fine washed sand on the wet adhesive material. I would suggest using a large tin can for the sprinkler with several pencil lead sized holes for sprinkling the material. This will last a long time and depending upon the color and material of your stairs will be hardly visible. Some adhesive backed pre manufactured materials are usually black in color and are not that nice to look at, but are functional. You might also (depending upon where you live) drop into either a swimming pool supply store or a marine (boat) store and you will likely fond some adhesive back material there. Several 3M products are available on the market and they are usually a very good quality product.
Hope this helps you a little.

robt65

Sculptari

Jun 7, 2012, 2:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Has anyone used Stair Tread material inside their homes

Can't Post |
I am kind of late to this thread, but thought I should mention that in the the slippery north, on boat decks, we would use epoxy and ground walnut shells. The marine epoxy would stick very well to marble, can be colored, and also sticks well to the walnut shells. The shells are commonly used in sandblasting and they are soft enough that if they break free, which is inevitable, they will not scratch like silica or black slag sand. Use masking tape so you can have nice, sharp lines.

There is another chemical for 'slip proofing' tiles, bathtubs and polished stone. It is a type of acid and many people make a small business of slip proofing public and private facilities. Too many people buy shiny, polished tile and stone, often at a great discount, not realizing this is meant for wall and counter surfaces.
no longer active on Mexconnect

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4