Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tashby

May 28, 2012, 8:54 AM

Post #1 of 9 (4232 views)

Shortcut

No me llames Oaxaquita

Can't Post | Private Reply
Interesting story from the Los Angeles Times about discrimination among and between different segments of the Mexican immigrant population, and how one Southern California school district has banned use of the term Oaxaquita.

http://www.latimes.com/...0528,0,3018233.story

La Isla

May 28, 2012, 9:37 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] No me llames Oaxaquita

In Reply To
Interesting story from the Los Angeles Times about discrimination among and between different segments of the Mexican immigrant population, and how one Southern California school district has banned use of the term Oaxaquita.

http://www.latimes.com/...0528,0,3018233.story

How sad that Mexican racism directed against indigenous people persists in the States. I was especially appalled that one child's American teacher made fun of him because his mother is from Oaxaca.

Marlene

May 28, 2012, 10:58 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] No me llames Oaxaquita

Sadly, as the article mentions, this type of treatment originates from Mexico.

The treatment follows a legacy of discrimination toward indigenous people in Mexico

La Isla

May 28, 2012, 1:37 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] No me llames Oaxaquita

In Reply To
Sadly, as the article mentions, this type of treatment originates from Mexico.

The treatment follows a legacy of discrimination toward indigenous people in Mexico

That doesn't explain why the American teacher treated her Mexican student in this degrading way.

Marlene

May 28, 2012, 2:48 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] No me llames Oaxaquita

Not all teachers should be in a classroom, no matter where they were born, or what their heritage may be. No teacher should "poke fun" of any student for any reason whether in the USA or in Mexico. In fairness to the teacher referred to in the article, we don't know what he or she allegedly did or said. The campaign sounds like a good move all around.

cbviajero

May 28, 2012, 6:10 PM

Post #6 of 9 (4115 views)

Shortcut

I've heard the term used here in Guadalajara mostly by people who coudn't tell you in which state Benito Juarez was born if their life depended on it.Oaxqueños are also referred to as chaparros,prietos y trompudos..racismo sin fronteras.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on May 28, 2012, 6:32 PM)

michoacan

May 30, 2012, 9:32 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3995 views)

Shortcut

La Maestra

Is it chisme that the teacher who teased the child is latina? I would like to learn the teachers ethnicity. Nevertheless, she should be suspended without pay. The problem should be examined about racism radiating from latino teacher.

diypartner

Jun 29, 2012, 4:48 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michoacan] La Maestra

[url=http://shop.partnerspestcontrol.com] DIY Pest Control

Vichil

Jun 29, 2012, 7:08 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3362 views)

Shortcut

I ran a vineyard in California and I quickly learned about the northerners and southerners ifrom Mexico. The workers coming from the north feel superioir to the ones from the south and I very quickly learned that you could not hire both to work in the same team,Aactually we never hired them to work together period as it was too much trouble. The southerners work in agriculture in Southern California and the central valley , workers from Jalisco, Michoacan Guanajuato in the Napa and Sonoma Valley, The Northerners were more apt to work in the sweatshops and various other businesses that employed illegals such as restaurants hotels and construction.

I once travel with a Mexican American foreman of a very large ranch in the central valley and he is the first one who told me not to mix the two in a team.

I once broke the rule without knowing and saw it first hand, we invited a Japanese landscaper from LA for Christmas with two of his workers. one indigenous from Oaxaca and a man from one of the border state, the northerners openly told us at the table that people from the south were too stupid to work in work shops, that they were primitive people without any education. The Oaxaqueño took it without a word but some people at the table jumped the northerner and it was a touchy situation.My friend from Oaxaca tell me they are called something like tacata or some word like this in Ajijic and they is extremely upset when they hear. it.

In a team we could mix people from central Mexico and Northern Mexico or from central Mexico and southern Mexico but we could not mix souterners with northerners. Discrimination based on the color of the skin and the origin is alive and well in Mexico.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jun 29, 2012, 7:12 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4