Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Rolly

May 26, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3072 views)

Shortcut

Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have added an article to my website on getting married in México.
As always, comments, suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Rolly Pirate

stevebrtx

May 26, 2012, 9:28 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

Rolly, I read with interest and have questions. I was married to my second wife, the first time, in Juarez at what looked like a feed & grain store? - so you'd have to consider it a "civil" ceremony. We didn't do anything like "register" it as I can remember. We were married later in Colorado and subsequently divorced up there some years later. So, am I still married to her down here, or up there, by virtue of the MXN civil marriage? And, if so, was I a bigamist when I married my third wife? And, if the answer to any of these is "yes" - where can I borrow a gun, I can't handle any more of those kind of problems, I'm "retired" from that part of life.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

cbviajero

May 26, 2012, 12:16 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

In Reply To
Rolly, I read with interest and have questions. I was married to my second wife, the first time, in Juarez at what looked like a feed & grain store?

Sounds like quite a wedding Steve,where'd you go on your Luna de Miel?

stevebrtx

May 26, 2012, 3:22 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

I was just sitting here with an adult beverage listening to quiet music, looking out at the puffy white clouds over Michoacan and thinking about my life - no particular reason, but I always thought of myself as a pretty quiet, even meek, go along to get along sort of guy, but as I review my life, facts seem to negate that illusion - which is a bit of a shock to me?

I was married four times to three women which in itself makes me the black sheep of the family. But, in this case, my first wife and I had been separated for something like two years while I tried to make something that couldn't work - work. Finally I filed in CA where she was and met a lovely lady in Denver where I was - but I wasn't officially divorced yet, so on a whim we drove from Denver to El Paso on a weekend and got married in MX (I figured that wasn't "official"). Then about 6 months later we scheduled a nice "official" wedding in CO, mainly for her family (mine was already tired of me). As it turned out the official divorce papers arrived express mail about noon and we got married at 4pm - maybe cut that one a bit close, ya think?

Even after tying the knot twice, it was a slip knot. She was a nice lady, her only mistake was me - so, I've always wondered about the MXN wedding thing. As it turned out, and part of the reason we got married the first time was that, she was offered a job with IBM in Albuquerque and after driving 720 miles back to Denver from the "wedding" she got on a plane the next morning to San Francisco to start training for the new job, so no Luna de Miel.

cbviajero

May 26, 2012, 4:10 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2979 views)

Shortcut

Steve the fifth time might be the charm,do you how many lovely viudas and divorciadas are out there looking for a guy like you?You were climbing palm trees a couple of weeks ago so I guess you're still up to it,just saying....

stevebrtx

May 26, 2012, 5:24 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

Don't get me started, I've got a "story" for everything - ha. When I lost my 3rd wife to cancer 7 years ago everyone said "oh, you'll find someone else" because that's the kind of things people say to try to make you feel better (or to make themselves feel better?). I soon realized people that when folks tell you "oh, you'll find someone else" and you tell them "no" they won't accept that. So, I started telling them "oh, it could happen, if she's about 40, very bonita and very very rich, it could happen". They don't say anything, but you can see them thinking "what the heck would someone 40, beautiful and rich want with you?" - but, it tends to take the noise level down to zip - ha.

Now I just smile and say "I've had my quota and then some, I've been blessed and now it's time for me to just go on down the road as I am, I really don't mind".

richmx2

May 26, 2012, 7:58 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Getting Married in México -- a new webpage

I did some research on same gender marriage in anticipation of a book one of our authors was working on (but was unable to continue for scheduling reasons): same gender marriages from Mexico City are recognized as legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Denmark (and, although there hasn't been a test case, would "probably" be accepted by all the European Union countries according to my Dutch diplomatic source), Canada, Argentina, those U.S. states which permit same gender marriages (though I never got confirmation from the Attorney General of Iowa... the office was "pretty sure" Mexican same-gender marriages would be recognized, but the issue had never come up) and by the Suquamish Tribe in Washington State.

Uruguay is also a "probable", and some Brazilian states, though I wasn't able to track everything down. As far as I can tell, if a jurisdiction recognizes same gender marriage, a same gender marriage in a foreign jurisdiction is considered valid under the same regulations as opposite-gender marriages.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

sandykayak

May 29, 2012, 1:27 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2798 views)

Shortcut

Makes me feel better; I've "only" had three husbands!!

I married #1 in Venezuela and we were divorced in Miami 13 years later. When I married #2 I was always worried when I went back to Venezuela to visit family as I knew that Ven does not recognize a foreign divorce. I had two options: have the US divorce legalized (I think they said through the Ven Supreme Court but that sounds a bit extreme) or start from scratch and file for divorce (based on lengthy "separation") in Venezuela.

WAAAAY too much of a hassle, don't you think? Sometimes it's easier to do nothing. :)
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4