Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

geri

May 21, 2012, 1:00 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2846 views)

Shortcut

Of tents, tarps and teachers

Can't Post | Private Reply
They are here, maybe 20,000 of them, camped out in centro Oaxaca for the annual teachers protest. From Avenida Benito Juarez west and Calle Murgia south, all streets are closed to vehicular traffic. In fact, it's a challenge to walk since only a narrow path exists between the tents where teachers listen to speakers, sit staring, knitting, embroidering. No doubt negotiations are underway somewhere.

Food stands abound and smells of fried bananas mix with fresh cut pineapple. More cookeries will pop up this afternoon and evening, no doubt. I didnt get a whiff of any weed. Not much police presence. The teachers of Oaxaca should write a manual for the OCCUPY movements in USA and globally, since they have this down pat, having done it during May for about 30 years I'm told.

sfmacaws

May 21, 2012, 1:16 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Of tents, tarps and teachers

Too bad they don't put as much effort into teaching. Sorry, I'm a bit disgusted with the teacher's union.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Vichil

May 21, 2012, 2:03 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Of tents, tarps and teachers

It is pretty disgusting, they hurt the businesses of people who do business in the center, not to mention people who make their money from tips like the waiters , they hurt tourism and give a bad image of the city and of the teachers.
Schools are not out yet and they basically abandon their post for the sake of politics, it is pretty bad for the children and the State as a whole.There is no reason for thm to be in the center except for the publicity since the admnistrative center have moved. Preety awful in my opinion.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4