Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Jubalpalooza

May 20, 2012, 3:19 PM

Post #1 of 7 (9303 views)

Shortcut

Taking cars to mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a 2 friends that asked me if I can take their cars to Tijuana to get repaired. I have no problem helping them out, hoever, i dont know the legalities of "importing" a car to Mexico that is not in my name. Also, would I need to have it insured for such a task? Any information would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

Rolly

May 20, 2012, 5:00 PM

Post #2 of 7 (9284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jubalpalooza] Taking cars to mexico

TJ is is the "free" zone of Baja which does not require paperwork for taking a car as is required in the mainland of México, so that is not a problem. Insurance, however, may be a problem. Usually you cannot insure a car you don't own.

Rolly Pirate

Goyo

May 20, 2012, 5:06 PM

Post #3 of 7 (9279 views)

Shortcut

why don't your friends take them into tijuana for repair? the cars don't need importation. insurance is recommended for all of mexico and i believe recently tijuana passed its own law requiring some level of public liability insurance for all cars. you will need documentation if a ratero, er, i mean a transito pulls you over. no matter what if that happens you will be paying a mordida anyway. the most likely trouble spot seems to me to be bringing the car back. if you are asked to show documentation entering the US make sure you are covered for any inquiry. and be sure you haven't had drugs stashed in your car while in the shop... that happens too. but, regardless, there are plenty of great tacos in tijuana.

morgaine7

May 20, 2012, 5:10 PM

Post #4 of 7 (9278 views)

Shortcut

From what I understand, stolen cars from the US are a problem in that area. I'd also suggest carrying a notarized letter from the owner, preferably in English and Spanish, giving you permission to drive it into Mexico for the purpose of repairs (or whatever you both agree upon). It may save you time if you get stopped.

Kate

cbviajero

May 23, 2012, 4:16 PM

Post #5 of 7 (9199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] Taking cars to mexico

In Reply To
. and be sure you haven't had drugs stashed in your car while in the shop... that happens too.[/reply

That is a very good point Goyo,don't why 2 friends would ask the OP to take their cars to TJ for repairs,could be perfectly innocent but it sounds strange.

RickS

Jun 12, 2012, 7:53 PM

Post #6 of 7 (8932 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Taking cars to mexico

I'm sure this info is somewhere, but I've looked and can't get all the answers....

A friend is driving to Cabo for 3 months next winter. Is a car permit required to drive into Sur?

Rolly

Jun 12, 2012, 8:49 PM

Post #7 of 7 (8925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Taking cars to mexico

No

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4