Nice honour for Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.pvpulse.com/...s-architecture-prize

Yacatecuhtli

May 20, 2012, 10:24 PM

Post #2 of 16 (7279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Can't Post | Private Reply
 El presidente del Colegio de Arquitectos de Puerto Vallarta, Raúl Enrique Sánchez Tapia, has a very different point of view....

http://jalisco.milenio.com/...a4e33cdaa1b8d2b8e446

According to the Milenio, Seems that locals refer to the Malecón as the “Malechón”........

Además de colapsar los drenajes, señalan a la obra como una copia de paseo en Benidorm.

"Sánchez argumentó que dicha obra no puede estar ni siquiera nominada, mucho menos ganar una Bienal Nacional por dos razones: “No participó en ninguna asamblea local ni regional, […] cuando hay un acuerdo nacional de que para participar en la bienal se necesita participar en una asamblea regional; y la segunda, la inscripción tiene que ir a través del Colegio de Arquitectos de la localidad.
—Entonces, si se brincaron lo que estipula la Federación de Arquitectura ¿cómo llegaron a ser nominados?"

"In addition to collapsing drains, the work is pointed to as acopy of the paseo Benidorm (in Spain) .

Sanchez argued that the work can not even nominated, let alone win a National Biennial for two reasons: "It did not participate in any regional or local assembly, [..] when a national agreement that to participate in the biennial needs to participate in a regional assembly and the second, the registration has to go through the College of Architects of the town.

'_So, if it skipped what the Federation Architecture requires how did it come to be nominated?"

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

JRinPV

May 21, 2012, 7:06 AM

Post #3 of 16 (7263 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Probably bought it ! LOL
It was a boondoggle project, which we always get at the end of the administration's term, helps to put some money in some pockets.

donemry

May 21, 2012, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 16 (7248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

I have been kisteining to JR's jabs for many years. IMHO, JR is voicing a minority opinion in regards to the value of the new Malecon. He is and has opposed just about every change in Puerto Vallarta that has occured in the last 25 years.

JRinPV

May 21, 2012, 8:40 AM

Post #5 of 16 (7242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Well, you're welcome to your opinion, but you're quite wrong. I only post on things I personally don't like, many others, that I like, I don't post on, unless someone else criticises it. For example I was 100% for the burying of the electrical/phone/cable lines downtown and the extension of the Malecón, to mention just two.

Sculptari

May 21, 2012, 9:55 AM

Post #6 of 16 (7230 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Of course the project would get a nod from an association of architects - it contains every lame architectural cliche in the book! You could imagine the committee ticking off a) nod to local indigenous cultures b) sweeping curves as seen in the latest Euro projects c) elements of 'green' construction and energy saving d) natural materials if affordable. The trouble is they missed in the execution of all four of these elements. It looks like what it is - a project designed by a committee on a tight budget, so of course it will be honored by another committee.

I like how they wanted an indigenous connection, only to find that all peoples originally living on the Banderas Bay were wiped out by disease, just before the Spaniards arrived. No problem, we will appropriate the Huichol culture, who are (except for a tiny corner) a people from Nayarit. They are also well organized in business, and maybe had the last laugh at the stuffy State of Jalisco by including a lot of images of peyote cactus in the Malecon.

If JR and I were in charge of the project, we would rebuild along the lines of a 1400's stone fortifications, with real cannons, which would sink the ridiculously fake pirate ship, and force them to rebuild to traditional Tall Ship quality. Only then would they have the honor of docking at the new pier (when it is ready).
no longer active on Mexconnect

donemry

May 22, 2012, 8:22 AM

Post #7 of 16 (7179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Setting aside all of the "culture" issues, does the new Malecon look better than the old? Is it more pleasant to visit? Is it more appealing to its intended cunsumer, the short stay tourists? I think you are missing the point of all the changes.

JRinPV

May 23, 2012, 7:33 AM

Post #8 of 16 (7128 views)

Shortcut

It's easier to visit because there's no traffic, tourist will like it. Most of the locals don't like it, businesses are suffering - loss of parking, Morelos is two lanes now, so no parking there either. The original fancy 'modern' lights didn't illuminate the area and other lighting had to be brought in.
We still have to see what will happen when the rains come ?
The main complaint around town was that the change really wasn't needed and that the money could have been better spent, like going back to garbage pick-ups every day, like it used to be for years (over 30 years to my knowledge) but now reduced to 3 days a week.
It is now being dug up again to replace an old SEAPAL pipe that collapsed, even though SEAPAL had told city hall that it needed replacing before the construction was begun, this advice was ignored.

JGonz

Aug 31, 2013, 10:41 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2603 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Setting aside all of the "culture" issues, does the new Malecon look better than the old? Is it more pleasant to visit? Is it more appealing to its intended cunsumer, the short stay tourists? I think you are missing the point of all the changes.

Yes the new Malecon look 10 time better that the old one. It was expanded and the road the used to run along side the Promenade is now closed and is actually part of the new Malecon. It still has a traditional feel to it but with a modern twist. It's the best of both worlds.
----------------------------------------
Follow | Pinterest

RickS

Aug 31, 2013, 10:46 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JGonz] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Just in case you were not aware, you are replying to a Post that is over a year old. One can look at the date to the left to see if it is current.

Not saying you should not have posted, just saying it's a very old topic it that matters to you.

JGonz

Aug 31, 2013, 10:59 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Wow, I just noticed that. I should have looked at the date first.
Follow | Pinterest

donemry

Aug 31, 2013, 11:12 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2588 views)

Shortcut

The thread is still relevant. Perhaps JR could address how his concerns have worked out at this time.

Teo

Sep 1, 2013, 12:24 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

No harm in commenting on an old thread, JGonz.

I will say that despite the boondoggle element of the project, about which JR is probably quite correct, the "new" PV malecon turned out to be a very nice change. I like that vehicular traffic has been re-routed off of much of the malecon and a bike lane has been added to encourage that mode of transportation.

Vendors may have suffered a little but if you offer a good product at a fair price, people will find you. Maybe these businesses along the malecon will sell their wares at more competitive prices now instead of "water view" prices.

The best part of the new malecon is the absence of timeshare sales persons. Not sure if that was a part of the redesign but walking the malecon without the sharks yelling at you has been a big improvement.

JRinPV

Sep 2, 2013, 7:12 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] PV Malecon wins national architecture award

Still has a lighting problem, the original 'very hip and modern' lights didn't work at all. Efforts to add proper lighting have not been an aesthetic improvement. Hopefully the surface will survive better than that of the southern extension, that had to be completely replaced.

JGonz

Sep 5, 2013, 5:45 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2410 views)

Shortcut

I have noticed that some sections of the Malecon do need better lighting especially the seciton closest to the beach. On the other hand I do like what they did on the Los Muertos Pier. I think they did a great job on the lighting.

Here is a picture that I found online of the new Los Muertos Pier.

Follow | Pinterest

darrellk

Sep 9, 2013, 11:53 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2313 views)

Shortcut

We went and checked out the new pier and it's nice and I actually liked the closed off road. Made walking and sight seeing more pleasant. I did ask a couple store workers and they said at first it seemed like they lost business due to all the construction but it has returned. They also said that the economy hasn't returned so they may blame the loss revenue on the street closing when in reality it is the economy that has caused the problem..

All in all I think what they did is a major plus.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4