Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johanson

May 17, 2012, 9:55 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4493 views)

Shortcut

Earthquake

Can't Post | Private Reply
Did any of you feel the earthquake that hit a little after 10 PM?

Axixic

May 18, 2012, 1:24 AM

Post #2 of 13 (4484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Earthquake

I've read since then that it was 6K North of Joco which explains why I thought there was an explosion or a truck hit the house in Joco. It wasn't a gentle rolling quake like the last one, but one that shook the house and felt like it made noise. From the second floor, I looked North for evidence of an explosion before I knew there had been a quake. I've been here for 7 years and this is the first year I've felt quakes. What the Heck is going on?

texican

May 18, 2012, 5:16 AM

Post #3 of 13 (4468 views)

Shortcut

I live in Villa Nova and I really felt it. It shook the house pretty good

(This post was edited by texican on May 18, 2012, 5:17 AM)

stevebrtx

May 18, 2012, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [texican] Earthquake

And - - - the power has been off since 7:30 last night, so we're running on "Jeep" power today - but, I notice as usual the rich folks up on gobblers knob had their lights blazing and this morning the priest in San Antonio has loud speaker power to drone on and on, so guess we're special?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

johanson

May 18, 2012, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 13 (4392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Earthquake

I've been a snowbird now since 1997. So far I have been present up north when they hit up there and lakeside when they hit our area. Sadly I missed this earthquake this time because I just arrived up north two days ago.

Darn :)

chinagringo

May 18, 2012, 8:51 AM

Post #6 of 13 (4391 views)

Shortcut

Any guesses as to how long it will be before Pete starts complaining about fog, wind and rain?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

stevebrtx

May 18, 2012, 9:08 AM

Post #7 of 13 (4383 views)

Shortcut

I missed this one, I was going to order a quake detector and add it to the weather station. Princeton U has a program, so guess if they're getting this close I need to add one. Of course that would probably require electricity to operate and at the moment - 15.5 hours and counting - we don't have any. Turns out the cable guys stringing fiber - yes, we red headed orphans in the very lowest parts of lower Riberas soon will have fiber at our local pole - now, if we could have water, streets and electricity that would be icing on the cake, as it is, it's only icing - no cake. Anyway, they over stressed a pole and it broke taking two more with it, so if it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all - and, AND, THIS AIN'T EVEN THE RAINY SEASON YET WHEN WE EXPECT POWER TO GO OFF?

But, survival is a matter of being prepared, I recently created my version of a "miners hat" with an old cap and an LED light, works great. http://chapalaweather.net/hat.jpg

tonyburton

May 18, 2012, 9:09 AM

Post #8 of 13 (4382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Earthquake in 1568...

Answer: Pretty much the same kind of thing as was happening in 1568! ~
see: The 1568 Earthquake in Mexico
which includes a prediction:
"The 1568 earthquake’s epicenter was close to the junction of three major rift valleys, each with its own parallel systems of faults. The first is occupied by Lake Chapala, the second follows the Tepic-Zacoalco depression, and the third includes Sayula and Colima. The movement is part of the gradual splitting of a large triangular block (on which sits Puerto Vallarta) away from the Mexican mainland. This will eventually result in the formation of a new island..."

and:
Did You Know? Puerto Vallarta will become an island and float away

Musicman

May 18, 2012, 12:40 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Earthquake

stevebrtx, where is "gobblers knob"?

stevebrtx

May 18, 2012, 12:48 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Earthquake

Upper Chula Vista, I look up at them from some windows and I've only seen those lights go out once in nearly 5 years, we can be blacked out (as we are now) forever and their lights burn brightly from the mansions on the hill. Someone up there either "is" CFE, or owns a chuck, or knows someone because they never go dark, not in storms, not in disasters of any kind - and to be completely blunt, "I'm darn jealous"!

johanson

May 18, 2012, 6:03 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Earthquake

"Any guesses as to how long it will be before Pete starts complaining about fog, wind and rain?
Regards,
Neil "

Something is really wrong Neil", the weather aint that bad. But give me two to four weeks of working on my taxes etc, and I will start getting homesick and right on schedule as I do every year, I will start complaining about the bad weather :)

Musicman

Aug 12, 2012, 2:08 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2782 views)

Shortcut

Johanson, you gotta be done with your taxes. How about an update on the summer rains there. I always enjoyed the rainy season and still believe it is the best time to be lakeside. Weather in Phoenix is great: only expected to be 114. Yikes!

johanson

Aug 12, 2012, 4:30 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Earthquake

I had business and wasn't able to return to Ajijic until July 6th. And as you said the best time of the year to be here lakeside is when the summer rains start

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4