Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bronco

May 16, 2012, 5:30 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4258 views)

Shortcut

meeting ajijic plaza w/police

Can't Post | Private Reply
the mexicans i know kind of laughed @the idea. in general they do not believe the police. why would you? personally i do not see the point in this meeting. if death toll is 22 or 27, we can read this info. how can anyone give an "update"? as things change hour to hour. even if they were honest, they cant predict what will be tomarrow. this seems like a glorified version of all the other meetings. & a rehash of news we already know. personally i do not feel threatened. this has not changed my life @ all. (i never go out after dark except in winter, the safety warning does not apply). did anyone attend tonight?

DavidHF

May 16, 2012, 8:12 PM

Post #2 of 16 (4198 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

Laugh along with your Mexican friend. If you didn't attend you didn't learn anything.

tashby

May 16, 2012, 8:14 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4196 views)

Shortcut

the mexicans i know kind of laughed @the idea.

I attended. The Mexicans weren't laughing.

johninajijic

May 16, 2012, 10:47 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

So describe in detail what happened.

Reefhound

May 17, 2012, 6:56 AM

Post #5 of 16 (4087 views)

Shortcut

I think those kinds of meetings are good even if you learn nothing new simply to let the police know the case is being followed and their progress is being noted. It establishes a pattern of being sorta "accountable" to the public and fosters communication.

Chapala Payaso

May 17, 2012, 9:36 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

These types of meetings are public relations events to allow the citizenry to vent. It is impossible for the police to be everywhere or to always arrive at a scene of an event in very short order. The locals do not trust the police as they feel they have been infiltrated by the narcos. For me it comes down to protecting you and yours as best you can. Don't act as to bring attention to yourself. For example, Canadians would be better off not wearing shorts.

There are two main risk factors. The first is the every day robberies and home invasions where the goal is to get money or something that can easily be sold, usually in GDL. These are risks that can be minimized and are a problem for all. The second is the indiscriminate narco violence meant to intimidate or pressure governmental agencies as well as local citizens. So far, this type of crime has not been directed at foreigners. But it is escalating going from young men and now to young women/girls. When it will go to school children and foreigners, if it does, is unknown.

I had occasion to drive to Chapala yesterday and was impressed by how few people were out and about walking or driving. The violence has certainly had a chilling effect on the population. The locals know some of those involved in drug trafficing and a critical mass will eventually be reached where those individuals disappear permanently. The people will say enough is enough and take matters into their own hands, especially given that they do not trust the police. When is the question.

bronco

May 17, 2012, 12:09 PM

Post #7 of 16 (3994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

several police chiefs have been killed in this area. how can you expect them to give you insider info? i have detailed reports from mexicans & expats who were @the meeting. the only thing that was promised was protection for the schools in joco. (that was an issue). they told the mexicans to go to work, send the children to school as normal, no curfew. my friends say they will take extra precautions for the next 2 weeks. whether they laugh, roll their eyes, shrug their shoulders, they are not as naive as you may be. they also know what they can ask for, what they cant, & do not expect the results as you. the meeting was excatly as i predicted. what did YOU learn?

Vichil

May 17, 2012, 12:22 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3989 views)

Shortcut

Detail, bronco the Chapala police cannot do anything about the joco schools, they are in a different municipality. No police chif was killed in Chapala either. an assistant yes an police chief no.

johninajijic

May 17, 2012, 1:08 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

I drove my maid home from West Ajijic, down the Carretera and turned right at Farmacia GDL. I have never seen so much stop and go traffic since the snowbirds were here last year. Must have taken 15 - 20 minutes.

bronco

May 17, 2012, 1:23 PM

Post #10 of 16 (3963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

vichil, police/officials have been killed in mexico. it is dangerous to talk too much. they did speak about the schools, to change class schedules to be able to have police on duty. as they cant have them on duty all day long. they are trying to do this in different areas. that may have been the successful part of the meeting. we know they arrested people, but that was reported before the meeting. what did they say that was so earth shaking? what more did you learn? even if they know something may be down the pike, they cannot reveal the info so soon. they are all in danger, including the mayor. the only meeting that had some success w/the one in dec'11. 2 boys were put in jail for the murder of chris kahr. this thing is huge, cartels are more powerful than the government.

johanson

May 17, 2012, 1:25 PM

Post #11 of 16 (3958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

Jphn wrote "I drove my maid home from West Ajijic, down the Carretera and turned right at Farmacia GDL. I have never seen so much stop and go traffic since the snowbirds were here last year. Must have taken 15 - 20 minutes"

Did you see any reason why the traffic was so bad? About a week ago the same thing happened to me, and it was the darn garbage truck :) holding everything up.

Pete

bronco

May 17, 2012, 1:29 PM

Post #12 of 16 (3957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

yesterday there was a huge amount of traffic, it was market day. that was in ajijic. chapala is different, @ least thats what i heard.

don pedro

May 17, 2012, 3:54 PM

Post #13 of 16 (3910 views)

Shortcut

tiangis in chapala is on mondays. nobody that actually lives here calls it market in either place. it's about 4-5 times the size of ajijic
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on May 17, 2012, 6:38 PM)

PITAtres

May 17, 2012, 4:36 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

You might look more intelligent if you spelled it correctly?

don pedro

May 17, 2012, 4:58 PM

Post #15 of 16 (3892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PITAtres] meeting ajijic plaza w/police

oh darn i forgot the "u" but it doesn't change my intelligent and handsome looks-eh! but somehow it brought you crawling outta yer slimy lair 3 pains in the butt. do all 3 hurt equally?
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

CanuckBob

May 19, 2012, 6:31 AM

Post #16 of 16 (3714 views)

Shortcut

Some of the traffic lights in Ajijic were screwed up yesterday and the day before. They were showing red for all directions, etc., etc. This caused most of the traffic slow downs.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on May 19, 2012, 6:33 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4