Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

steve.lafler

May 16, 2012, 6:08 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4926 views)

Shortcut

Safe to drive Monterrey to Laredo on Cuota?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are headed north from Oaxaca in two weeks via car; we'll be driving into the U.S. at Laredo. We'll go straight through on the cuota--the final day in Mexico we will likely drive from Saltillo to Laredo. I've driven this stretch and crossed at Laredo several times.
My question: What is the current assessment of the safety of this stretch of road? Has anyone driven it lately?

texican

May 16, 2012, 6:41 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve.lafler] Safe to drive Monterrey to Laredo on Cuota?

I drove it two weeks ago without any problems

Altahabana

May 16, 2012, 6:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4909 views)

Shortcut

There have not been any publicized incidents along the cuota between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo since the latest rounds of problems. In my opinon there are no increased risks if you stay on the cuota and take the Colosio loop road directly to Bridge II.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on May 16, 2012, 6:48 AM)

careyeroslib

May 16, 2012, 7:29 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Safe to drive Monterrey to Laredo on Cuota?

We drove it a month ago with no problems. My only advice (you may already know this) is to watch out for traffic cops at the part where you leave the cuota and the speed limit suddenly drops to something like 40 km/hr. Ive seen cops waiting to catch people there, usually on Sunday mornings or other quiet times.

steve.lafler

May 16, 2012, 8:02 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Safe to drive Monterrey to Laredo on Cuota?

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. I do not worry too much about traveling on this stretch of cuota, but I thought it would be worthwhile to check in.

Altahabana

May 16, 2012, 9:11 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4868 views)

Shortcut

I think it is very prudent to ask. Although it wouldn't be apparent to someone passing through, the situation in this area has changed significantly in the last 2 1/2 months.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4