Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

ekammin

May 12, 2012, 3:00 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3101 views)

Shortcut

Could someone help me figure this out?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am referring to the evident increase in crimes and murders in Mexico, in particular, the Lake Chapala area.

Several years ago, I spent some time in the area around Ajijic. At no time did I feel especially menaced, just taking the precautions which would be normal in any NOB city (e.g., don't walk around flashing expensive jewelry at night in the poor area of a city).

If I were to return to Ajijic now, would there be any change? In other words, would I have to feel that I might be the victim of some violence, or would the situation be similar to that in the US during Prohibition, when the gangsters blazed away at each other, while leaving the average person alone?

I have read dozens of posts on this subject, that just end up making me feel as confused as ever.

(This post was edited by ekammin on May 12, 2012, 3:02 PM)

chinagringo

May 12, 2012, 3:24 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Could someone help me figure this out?

I think you are asking a question which doesn't have a "one size fits all answer" for everyone. Granted these latest events in the Lake Chapala area might cause someone some anxiety for the next couple of weeks but what usually happens is that a period of calm will follow and people will return to their normal habits. I can think back to 2006 when we met some people for dinner at the Cozumel Restaurant in Chapala and went our separate ways about 9pm. The next day, they commented about how uncomfortable they had felt walking to their car while we had no such feelings. As you are probably aware, Michoacán has been on the "hot spot" list for a number of years and we go there every trip. Only felt uncomfortable one time when we drove through a very small village with dirt streets and were eyeballed by one particular group of younger guys.

As it stands right now, we have no plans to bypass the Lake area on our next trip and I don't see us revising our typical evening dinner schedule.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Vichil

May 12, 2012, 4:13 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3065 views)

Shortcut

I live here and I do not think you will feel any difference. People on the street are not different from what they were except maybe for this last week when some of them were more somber.

I am the one who has changed. I do not walk alone in deserted areas any longer, I do not walk back at night from restaurants unless I am with a bunch of people . I do not open the door without checking through the peep hole anylonger. The doors are locked at night securely when they did not used to be.

I feel that until we know if we ever know what happened to the people who were kidnapped and why it is prudent to be on your guards. The last events are extremely disturbing and sad and I have changed, I find myself down and not as outgoing as I used to be.

(This post was edited by Vichil on May 12, 2012, 5:05 PM)

johninajijic

May 13, 2012, 7:30 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2982 views)

Shortcut

NO!!! They have only kidnapped Mexicans. It's a drug turf war that doesn't involve Americans, unless you're using or dealing drugs. You just go about your business, be aware of your surroundings like in every foreign country. Don't wear jewelry or carry lots of cash. Don't walk back streets alone or after 9:00 PM for now.

We have lived here for 11 years and still feel perfectly safe.

stevebrtx

May 13, 2012, 2:21 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Could someone help me figure this out?

I'm 69, I'm technically "old" and I've earned the right to hate change. Ironically I was the agent of change as a tech salesman for 30 years, but 5 years ago I found my little slice of heaven here and now I hate change - don't screw it up. Then we didn't talk about violence, we didn't worry and cartels and murder were a world away - now they're here at our doorstep. True, and sadly true, the most recent were almost all young MXN men, so is that supposed to make me feel better? - more secure?

I'm bitter and sad, bitter because I found my niche and if someone screws that up I have to start over and I'm too darn old, too darn poor and too tired to do that many more times. I'm sad, of course for myself, but more for our hosts who, for the most part, are good people who hate this as much as we do - and at least at the moment are the ones being targeted. We can get in the car (something some of them don't even own) and go "home" - where do they go? - they are home, have been for 800 years.

Last Monday morning I was awakened by 5 gun shots in the "park" in lower Riberas near me, a few minutes ago I received 3rd hand information that 5 bodies were found in a house in Riberas yesterday. I can't verify this, have not heard it anywhere else (what else is new). Are the two things connected? - I'll never know, but you can't imagine I'll not think about it now and then and wonder if I heard the end of 5 fellow humans.

I wrote in my blog the other day "Mexico has lost its soul".

Do I worry? - not much, I'm on the 2nd story roof regularly working on the weather station, I drive Guadalajara all the time, I was up in the palm trees the other day on a very tall ladder - all potentially fatal. But, much more and I may have a sign painted in Spanish to hang on the front gate saying "DON'T SCREW IT UP FOR ME".
http://www.chapalaweather.net

cbviajero

May 13, 2012, 3:07 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Could someone help me figure this out?

Steve, climbing tall ladders to get into the palm trees at 69,you are the man,mis respetos,you weren't tapping into your neighbors power line to lower your CFE bill were you? Just kidding!That's probably the most risky situation you'll find yourself in Mexico,cuidate amigo.
That was a very thoughtful post.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on May 13, 2012, 3:59 PM)

stevebrtx

May 13, 2012, 3:19 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Could someone help me figure this out?

Odd you should mention that, I've been watching the casita meter and while it's a small amount, but I'm beginning to think I'm not the only guy on the meter. I'm going to read the meter in a bit, throw the main breaker and read it in the morning and see what I see.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

bronco

May 14, 2012, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2729 views)

Shortcut

ekammin, wait a few days more. the police & army are here to see how things go. people are going home before 9pm as a precaution. i tend to agree w/post #4 (johninajijic).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4