Post deleted by Administrator |

YucaLandia

May 12, 2012, 3:44 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] restaurants. cancun

Can't Post | Private Reply
ask for pargo

Just like there are many varieties of Red Snapper, there are many varieties of pargo - all tasting pretty good - like roses by any other name. If she likes snapper/pargo and cannot find any, she might like the more common mero (small groupers), or . boquinete (hog-fish). You could consider La Habichuela - less than a 2 block walk from the downtown bus station.

Walk out the front door of the bus station, turn left and walk to Av. Uxmal. Cross Uxmal and turn left again. Walk block down Uxmal to Av. Margaritas and turn right onto Margaritas. Walk 1 block down Margaritas to La Habichuela - on your right near the end of the block. Good food, but more expensive than a taco stand.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

May 12, 2012, 4:12 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3475 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

RickS

May 12, 2012, 4:59 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] restaurants. cancun

Steve, I realize different locals have different names for things.... I am familiar with the name "Huachinango" for red snapper. I asked for that recently around Puerto Morelis and got what I know as red snapper. Is this name used also around Merida or just Pargo?

Sunnyvmx

May 14, 2012, 6:23 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] restaurants. cancun

Here in Catemaco in the state of Veracruz we also use Huachinango for Red Snapper and Robalo for Snook. Our most popular fish is freshwater and mostly farmed called Mojarra. It's a Tilapia and very popular. From the sea we also get the Grouper and Pompano. For shellfish we have oysters, shrimp, conch, crab, scallops, and of course freshwater snails called Tegogolos that the boys dive in the lake and river for and are sold at roadside stands.

While sitting at a patio restaurant on the main plaza in Veracruz, I was approached by a walking vendor with a small pail. He offered to serve me a conch salad and I readily accepted. I immediately saw that it wasn't conch and asked him what it was and then to my amusement he stated it was Tegogolos from Catemaco. I had traveled 3 hrs. from my home in Catemaco where I would never try the snails to Veracruz and enjoyed a plate full. From now on I try to be more adventurous here at home rather than waiting for another trip.

playaboy

May 14, 2012, 10:39 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3396 views)

Shortcut

El Cejas in Mercado 28. It has been around forever and is great

YucaLandia

May 14, 2012, 12:49 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3388 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] restaurants. cancun

Good question. From what I can tell, the fishermen around Progreso often call any of the varieties of pink-red snapper: Huachinango, while the guys I fished with at Isla Holbox called it pargo. At least 2 of our major chain grocery stores sell it as pargo. ... But those are all just personal observations - nothing I can document. It's odd to me, but you can buy fresh pargo at some grocery stores, but the 10 or so restaurants where we go for fish, generally don't have it. ???
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 14, 2012, 12:49 PM)

chicois8

May 17, 2012, 12:55 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3312 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I am going to send her your post. thank you kindly sir. I am not a big fish fan but I promised that i would start seeing as we are in a place where fish is important.

You had better get used to eating fish since 99% of Progreso restaurants specialize in seafood..........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4