Post deleted by Administrator |

ya'ax ich

May 11, 2012, 4:08 AM

Post #2 of 10 (3801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] sams or costco.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello Swiss Garry-
I recommend Costco. It has a better variety and better quality. For an annual fee, two memberships are available. Regular and Executive. The Executive costs more but you earn rebates on everything you buy. If you buy enough then you won't be charged the renewal fee next year. I've been a member for 7 years, and have never paid for a renewal.
Just pay the annual fee, and the place is yours.

Papirex

May 11, 2012, 8:44 AM

Post #3 of 10 (3777 views)

Shortcut

It doesn't really matter which club you join, they generally carry the same products at similar prices. Everyone gets a tiny discount if paying in cash. I belong to both clubs, for convenience only. I have belonged to both clubs for a long time.

When the discount stores were first starting, there were many of them. Sam's Club bought a Price Club store where we lived in Alaska, and they were the first to be there. Costco built a store there about a year later. I have always favored Sam's, but We do most of our shopping at Costco for their more convenient location here.

Sometimes, if Costco has temporarily run out of stock for something. We can go over to Sam's to buy it. I live in Cuernavaca, in Morelos state, we have both stores here. They stock the same items mostly, but a few things are different. I used to always buy CFC light bulbs at Sam's because they had a better variety of them, and the brands they sold lasted longer.

We originally had cards issued in The US, they are valid in any country that has those stores, you usually only need to tell the cashier where the card was issued, they press a couple of keys on the cash register, and the transaction proceeds normally. Because of a former manager, that was always a nightmare at Costco here.

We eventually got Mexican issued cards, I don't believe we had to show anything but our original US issued cards, as a new member, you may need to show your Mexican visa. You must enter the store, and ask to see the membership desk. They will usually make it easy for you, they will tell you if any other documentation is required, after you show them everything required they will take your photo and issue the card immediately. If you do not speak Spanish, finding someone at the membership desk that speaks your language is a coin in the air, but they will usually understand what you want.

Normal prices are usually much lower per item than at any supermarket, although the quantity is usually more. We do shop at several supermarkets here too. It is not really necessary to have a Costco or a Sam's membership to live well here, just a little cheaper.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

May 11, 2012, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 10 (3750 views)

Shortcut

Papirex

May 11, 2012, 1:05 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3736 views)

Shortcut

You can probably buy most of your large appliances at either store, they very seldom, if ever have any household furniture however, usually they just have patio furniture. We did manage to buy a very nice, and comfortable futon before we left México City at Costco however. We bought most of the rest of our furniture at the Sears store here. My US issued Sears credit card was accepted here, after a long distance phone call. Sears in México is owned by Carlos Slim, not by Sears and Roebuck. It doesn't make much difference though.

There are a lot of furniture stores here, be careful, and examine the workmanship very carefully. There is a lot of junk furniture sold here.

You will probably need to shop around to find everything you want. It may be important to remember that bed sizes in México are generally shorter than they are in The US. A king or queen sized bed are usually the same width, but about 5 inches shorter than in The US. Buying linens for US sizes can be a big problem here.

The Liverpool department stores might have them from time to time though. Liverpool is one of the highest priced stores here, but they always have a great selection of goods, including an imported foods section, with special dietary foods for diabetics, etc.

If you are going to rent, make sure the house has a stove in it, or you will need to buy one. If the house does not have a built-in dishwasher, do not even dream of putting one in a rental house, it is too expensive to have the necessary cabinet and electrical work done down here in a rental. When you leave, you must either leave the dishwasher, or restore the cabinetry to the original state. We bought a Maytag portable dishwasher at sears about ten years ago, still using it.

It is important to know that a renter is responsible for all household maintenance here, not the house owner. You will need to pay for repairing all leaking roofs, failed pumps, electrical and plumbing problems, etc.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

May 11, 2012, 1:48 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3729 views)

Shortcut

happyjack

May 12, 2012, 7:54 AM

Post #7 of 10 (3689 views)

Shortcut

You do not need to join to shop around. Do your own research and figure out which or both that you like.
You can not buy without a membership card but walking around is free and being retired, what´s a couple hours of walking around doing research?

Papirex

May 12, 2012, 8:52 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3681 views)

Shortcut

I don't know if they still do it NOB, or if they ever did it in México, but both stores used to offer a one day free pass that allowed a person to shop – for one day. It might be prudent to ask at the membership desk if they still offer them in México.

Both stores where I live do check your membership card before allowing you to enter. The only way I know of to enter without a membership card, is to tell the person at the entry that you want to go to the membership desk.

English speakers are rare where I live, so if you speak no Spanish it might be a good idea to have a bi-lingual person with you.

Good luck, Rex

happyjack

May 12, 2012, 9:18 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] sams or costco.

They sometimes try to check for membership cards in our stores too....purely a sales tactic since they will let you wander the store, if you ask them, and Sam´s will most of the time give you a free 1 day pass.
I just walk by, eyes straight ahead and cart in hand, past the hawkers saying "No Gracias" while trying to catch up with my card holder..aka the wife...who is already 2 aisles ahead of me and waiting for a cart to fill.

AlanMexicali

May 12, 2012, 11:46 AM

Post #10 of 10 (3660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] sams or costco.

In Reply To
"I don't know if they still do it NOB, or if they ever did it in México, but both stores used to offer a one day free pass that allowed a person to shop – for one day. It might be prudent to ask at the membership desk if they still offer them in México.

Both stores where I live do check your membership card before allowing you to enter. The only way I know of to enter without a membership card, is to tell the person at the entry that you want to go to the membership desk.

English speakers are rare where I live, so if you speak no Spanish it might be a good idea to have a bi-lingual person with you.

Good luck, Rex"

When Costco/Sam's first opened in Mexico they did not scan membership cards and it became a problem with people getting in the checkout line with carts full of stuff and then not having the right card [someone else's card, wrong face on the photo, or having an expired card and not wanting to renew that day. So for a few yeras or more they had the door people using hand scanners to verify the card was still current and checking photos. When people stopped trying this as word got out and they themselves saw this happening they went back to just looking to see if everyone had a card upon entering the warehouse.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4