Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Chapala Payaso

May 9, 2012, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4146 views)

Shortcut

Dogs vs Fleas

Can't Post | Private Reply
I live in a sparsly populated mountainous fraccionamiento. Lots of overgrown weeds and brush abound. I also have 4 large long haired dogs who are prone to gather up fleas. I have tried collars, drops, and shampoos all to no avail. But now, while not 100% flea free, they sleep at night without scratching or biting. A friend put me on to this and I thought I should share it with you.

I sprinkle about one teaspoon of garlic powder on their dog food. It takes a while to get results, maybe 10 days, but the fleas do not like the smell or flavor and tend to vacate the premises. I very seldom can find a flea on any of them. Hope this brings some peace to your pooch.

lamur

May 9, 2012, 1:13 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Dogs vs Fleas

Just be careful..it can be harmful to your pooch.

"Giving dog and cats garlic to get rid of fleas is not advice able because garlic contains sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Also, some dogs may be sensitive to garlic. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea"

Chapala Payaso

May 9, 2012, 1:21 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lamur] Dogs vs Fleas

Thanks for the input. Can give me reference to read?

Axixic

May 9, 2012, 3:26 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Dogs vs Fleas

Read this and decide:

http://petremedycharts.blogspot.mx/...-garlic-to-dogs.html

There is a green colored, supposedly all natural, flea spray that has the odor of chlorophyll and seems to work as a flea repellent and deodorizer. It's $40 pesos a bottle. I found it at the large tienda next to the Pacifico fish market in West Ajijic. I've been told it is sold at other tiendas around the lake. It kept the fleas off my dogs and one is a 125 lb. flea magnet.

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 9, 2012, 5:04 PM)

sandykayak

May 23, 2012, 1:48 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Dogs vs Fleas

Can you post additional info on the green remedy? If I can't find in Miami (or online), I'll need to get some on my next trip to Chapala. tx
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Axixic

May 23, 2012, 4:57 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Dogs vs Fleas

I'll have to look for it at the tienda where I bought it before. I know some tienda's on the South-side have it but I doubt you want to drive that far.

The tienda where I bought it last year is next to Pacifica the new fish store in West Ajijic. It's the large tienda a few doors West of Pacifica, the one that has been there a few years and carries many NOB items that are cheaper than at Superlake.

bournemouth

May 23, 2012, 5:13 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3585 views)

Shortcut

Do you mean Super La Huerta? - nice people, useful location.

Axixic

May 24, 2012, 2:45 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Dogs vs Fleas

Yes, that's it.

sandykayak

May 24, 2012, 4:49 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3539 views)

Shortcut

What I'd really like ismthe contents to seem if I can find it stateside, if poss. Tx
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4