Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tonyburton

May 9, 2012, 10:37 AM

Post #1 of 24 (4638 views)

Shortcut

On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Can't Post | Private Reply
The quoting and discussion of PMs on the forums is entirely inappropriate since PMs are, by definition, intended to be private messages.

The PM function can be turned off by any forum poster via:
"Edit Profile" [on the toolbar above this or any forum page] - ->
"User Profile" - ->
"Allow Private Messages" [Yes/No]
then.. scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit,
"Make Profile Changes" for the setting to be accepted by the system.

If you receive a PM that you consider completely inappropriate or offensive, please inform us via either a PM or e-mail, not via the forums.
We will take action against anyone deemed to have sent PMs that fall outside the site's guidelines.
This may include a warning letter and/or suspension of PM function and/or suspension of Forum access and/or complete ban.
Thanks!

Now, PLEASE can we move beyond expressions of personal feelings and get back to some informative posts and respectful discussion?

May 9, 2012, 10:40 AM

Post #2 of 24 (4617 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

happyjack

May 12, 2012, 11:08 AM

Post #3 of 24 (4426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

This forum began its downward fall a few years ago when it signed onto the drug war news propaganda. Like they wanted to go head to head with Boarderland Beat and NarcoNews. The elite pushed and pushed the non relevant and caustic rumors and stories that NO respectable news organization would ever touch. That´s Fine…it is a Forum. Propagated by an insurance agent who was by their own admission a risk agent who MADE MONEY selling policies to the trucking companies traveling the border areas. That was the beginning of the downfall and take over of Misconnect.
Fine, so the elite want some excitement. We have, of the elite, people who think they are experts on Mexico because their spouse has a Spanish surname AND they visit Mexico 2 weeks a year. Or there are the old geezers who are basically recluses, a captive of their home due to physical reasons and more…but …are still experts in all Mexico.
Or the ultra rich, with 2 or 3 homes in Mexico and a few others sprinkled around the world, giving advice on how to find a furnished apartment. The elite are a joke to Mexico, in MY Humble Opinion
Until the owners of this forum, who by the way do this for $$ per click, bite the bullet and clear away the regime that is chasing away the lurkers and preventing them from becoming active, the end is in sight. It is tough but being a business owner means making some tough choices. Readership is down and contrary to what the owners write, this has been noted on other areas of the internet that this site is failing.
The owners should bite the bullet, clear off all management and take back the reigns. Take the 6 or 9 month hit but build it back to a forum that is useful for the public and not just a place for the gang to hang out.

RickS

May 12, 2012, 11:43 AM

Post #4 of 24 (4421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [happyjack] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

..."in MY Humble Opinion."

When I see this written, I often find that the Opinion is far from Humble.

"Propagated by an insurance agent..." would you mind explaining this comment?

joaquinx

May 12, 2012, 12:14 PM

Post #5 of 24 (4413 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
It seems that we might have to pass a test in order to respond to a posting. I try to ignore some and read others.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tonyburton

May 12, 2012, 12:34 PM

Post #6 of 24 (4406 views)

Shortcut

What ARE you talking about?
You are, to say the least, totally misinformed.

stevebrtx

May 12, 2012, 2:18 PM

Post #7 of 24 (4385 views)

Shortcut

Garry, I'd like to send you a note, doesn't need to be in public. PM me and I'll give you a link.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Rolly

May 12, 2012, 3:13 PM

Post #8 of 24 (4360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Happyjack's e-mail address is dogdroppings. How appropriate!
He talks about what happened here two years ago, yet he registered only 2 months ago.
The insurance agent reference is totally off the wall.
His post is truly dogdroppings, but it was good for a laugh on a hot Saturday afternoon.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

May 12, 2012, 3:25 PM

Post #9 of 24 (4355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Happyjack makes an interesting point in contrasting "elites" (in good High Schoolish terminology) versus folks who have spent 10 years or more just trying to figure out how things actually work in the niche of Mexico where they live.

Other groups who regularly reply on Mexconnect? He forgot to come up with a category for all the still very active geezers on Mexconnect who married Mexicans and are doing their best to get to know their adopted country. He also leaves out the people who have fine friends and family members feeding them very good insights, creating ongoing experiences that prod them to say:
" If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants. "

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

don pedro

May 12, 2012, 4:48 PM

Post #10 of 24 (4334 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
What ARE you talking about?
You are, to say the least, totally misinformed.

i've been on here since about 1999,long before i moved here, until it became pay per view. now that it is not,it's still one of the best forums around here.
even better than mine-SNORK!
i'll take a cerveza fer that promotion-jeje!
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

tonyburton

May 12, 2012, 4:57 PM

Post #11 of 24 (4331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Your check is in the mail...

Moisheh

May 13, 2012, 5:34 AM

Post #12 of 24 (4261 views)

Shortcut

Strange that the off the wall post is from a person who is guilty of sending very nasty vulagr PM's. Fits the description of a troll. He is fortunate that the moderators are tolerant. Anywhere else he would be tossed. I dounbt he has ever been to Mexico or has a desire to visit.

Moisheh

Altahabana

May 13, 2012, 6:11 AM

Post #13 of 24 (4250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

I don't sell insurance, but I do represent trucking companies who have issues with insurance companies about casualty losses in northern Mexico, so I think the Happy fellow's reference to the insurance agent is about me. I usually only respond to specific questions about conditions in the Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Coahuila area and will probably continue to do so. My responses may not sit well with some, but the situation up here is not always sunshine and roses.

In my opinion, there is a general uneasiness with the situation in Mexico on most ex-pat and travel forums as the extent of the problems are becoming harder for any objective observer to deny or minimize. Maybe that general feeling contributes to less traffic and fewer topics.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on May 13, 2012, 6:17 AM)

Moisheh

May 13, 2012, 8:30 AM

Post #14 of 24 (4221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Depending on the community and of course the individual some expats are in denial. I think that sometimes they feel that if Mexico is a "bad" place it is a reflection on their judgement. Others are simply concerned about the value of their homes. If Mexico becomes a full war zone they ( and I) will lose their investment. I would imagine that for many they might not recover from such a loss. Being old may be hard to handle but being poor and old is much worse.

Moisheh

May 13, 2012, 9:51 AM

Post #15 of 24 (4190 views)

Shortcut

tonyburton

May 13, 2012, 9:56 AM

Post #16 of 24 (4182 views)

Shortcut

Don't worry; you're fine!
I believe he was referring to happyjack [as I was].
It is sometimes easier to see which posts refer to which by viewing them in "threaded" form rather than flat [this viewing option is shown at the top right of each thread of posts, next to "Print Thread".]

Moisheh

May 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

Post #17 of 24 (4162 views)

Shortcut

Swiss gary: Calma te.Not meant for you. It was for happy whatever. Sorry if I upset you.

Moisheh

Gringal

May 13, 2012, 1:04 PM

Post #18 of 24 (4124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Your statement that some might suffer serious economic hardship if they had to abandon their properties due to the retirement areas in Mexico turning into a war zone is right on target. We own two properties in different Mexican "retirement" destinations. It would hurt, badly, to leave empty handed. Knowing this, we try to keep a positive attitude towards the future without sticking our heads in the sand.
We also remind ourselves that at least some of our forebears had to leave the "Old Country" under severe duress. They arrived at Ellis Island with very little...........but went on to become successful in the new world, even with minimal English language skills. Granted, they were younger than we are at the time, but if we have to go........we will make it. (They didn't have pensions, after all, to fall back on. lol.)

This "elite" business is utter nonsense, in my not so humble opinion.

Moisheh

May 13, 2012, 3:03 PM

Post #19 of 24 (4079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

Gringal: When we first bought property in Mexico I was still subscribing to the theory that you never invest more in Mexico than one can afford to lose. But that went by the wayside as we spent bucks on the house and then bought the lot across the street to build a large shop for my RV. I am way past the point of no return. I could walk away but it would hurt both financially and mentally. My father's parents and my father also came here with less than nada. But as you say they were younger. Can you imagine trying to start all over again? Thankfully that will not happen to us but I know many who are way overextended and losing their Mexico home would almost leave them homeless. Of course this discussion is what we in Canada call beer parlour philosophy. I cannot see the whole country falling apart. Heck maybe the cartels could buy our homes!!! I do know someone who sold a home to a cartel member but that was 15 years ago. They were paid in cash.

Moisheh

cindym

May 14, 2012, 8:12 AM

Post #20 of 24 (3997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

In Reply To
Depending on the community and of course the individual some expats are in denial. I think that sometimes they feel that if Mexico is a "bad" place it is a reflection on their judgement. Others are simply concerned about the value of their homes. If Mexico becomes a full war zone they ( and I) will lose their investment. I would imagine that for many they might not recover from such a loss. Being old may be hard to handle but being poor and old is much worse.

Moisheh

I agree with this view, I see many people become overly defensive when the topic of crime comes up. It appears they are really defending their personal decision to move here, the crime issue is not really being discussed. Too many times the first reply is a negative comparison to some other place.

Gringal

May 16, 2012, 9:13 AM

Post #21 of 24 (3852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cindym] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

If we had to "abandon ship" here, it would be a loss from which we could not recover in the sense that we would not be able to use the proceeds from the sale of our properties here to re-establish ourselves are homeowners elsewhere. We would survive, but not at our current level of comfort.
Having said that, it things ever get "bad enough", there is no point in being in denial and hanging in there because we can't let go of "things". That's how some people in Europe lost their lives back when. Others left when they saw how it was going, came to the U.S. and went on with their lives. Let us hope things never reach that pass here.

I'm an optimist, in general. I think things will get better. Don't have any reason to think so, but...........

May 16, 2012, 9:51 AM

Post #22 of 24 (3841 views)

Shortcut

Gringal

May 16, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #23 of 24 (3813 views)

Shortcut

There was Germany, but there were other places who hauled in the welcome mat for some of their residents, so I was not limiting my reference to that country, although that was the extreme example. One of my college professors told his story about how that went, and fortunately, he did let go and bring his family to the states before the jackboots arrived at his door. He didn't have much, but he and his family stayed alive.

My point is that, in order to overcome fear, one of the best ways is to imagine the very worst case scenario and decide what you would do. In other words, to bring yourself to a state of mind where you would be willing to "let go" as emigrants did some generations ago. If you can get past that mental hurdle, you can find peace no matter how bad the situation gets. Saying "It can't/won't happen" is cold comfort as we watch the situation escalate.

donemry

May 17, 2012, 8:17 AM

Post #24 of 24 (3749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] On the subject of Private Messages (PMs)

I would think the worst case scenario would be when expats and/or tourists are being dragged out of their houses and shot on the street. Now that I postulate that, I cannot imagine it happening.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4