Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

sfmacaws

May 8, 2012, 8:00 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Garry Ladouce] mangos.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I work at knowing nothing about the Gulf coast around Progreso. However, there are mangos for sale on street corners all over the city of Merida and I can't imagine that it would not be the same out there. Pick your flavor, Manilla, Ataulfo, Paraiso and start tasting. The smaller ones sold in front of houses are generally from a tree in back, often sweeter but you need to overlook the occasional worm. Or, you can buy them at any supermarket or any produce stand. They won't be hard to find in June.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

May 8, 2012, 8:06 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4320 views)

Shortcut

sfmacaws

May 8, 2012, 8:12 PM

Post #4 of 15 (4319 views)

Shortcut

I am a fan of the Ataulfo myself, although Manilla are almost the same. The Paraiso is prettier but the true season for it is a bit later than for the others. If you buy a Paraiso now, it is a bit too stringy for my taste. In another month they will be wonderful. They all grow here, and the season is extended a bit with imports from Honduras. Plentiful and cheap mangos are one of the benefits of living in the tropics, one of the many benefits but an important one.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

May 9, 2012, 7:21 AM

Post #5 of 15 (4292 views)

Shortcut

May 9, 2012, 10:39 AM

Post #6 of 15 (4263 views)

Shortcut

Vichil

May 9, 2012, 4:18 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4239 views)

Shortcut

Are you talking about Xtabentun? It tastes more like yellow Izarra than Pernod.

Aaron+

May 9, 2012, 6:56 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] mangos.

There is Xtabentun dulce, found easily anywhere liquor is sold in the Yucatan, and Xtabentun seco, harder to find, better for mixing or just straight unless you like clingingly sweet. There´s a pleasant, informative article about the D'Aristi family brands in
http://www.yucatanliving.com/...as-sweetest-tour.htm,
but, shame, the author did not mention or was not aware of there being two varieties of D'Aristi Xtabentun. The anise base is better tasted in the seco, in my opinion.

YucaLandia

May 10, 2012, 7:16 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] mangos.

Yum !

Both of them beat balché. Where do you buy your Xtabentún Seco ?

Our bottle of "Xtabentún Crema" is old, and we have not bought any recently, so, I'd like to find out which of the 3 varieties is best and where to get it. La Eurapea?

. . . . . . . . .
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Aaron+

May 10, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] mangos.

Oops, the Crema is commonly found, is the dulce. The seco notes that it is seco.

Where to find? Hit and miss most places that sell liquors down here. OR... the small D'Aristi family store off Correa Racha, mentioned in the cited Yucatan Living article.

May 11, 2012, 10:03 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4112 views)

Shortcut

Aaron+

May 11, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] mangos.

Not a drinker, huh? Good for you!

Whether nationals or expats, I venture that few would be care if you did not stock Xtabentuna crema, and almost no one is aware of the seco version. If you personally like anise liquors (arak in the Middle East through Iran), Xtabentun is a bit softer reflecting its honey content. My seco is sometimes tried by those with curiosity, but mostly just appeals to me.

If you go to the Yolisto website, whose population includes a notable quantity of drinkers -- mostly beer and whisky, with some tequila -- they may be a better cohort for suggestions on stocking your bar.

For the broadest selection of fine wines and liquors, and deli type foods to go with them, perhaps the better selection in Mexico is found wherever there is a branch of
http://laeuropea.com.mx/

Within the last year, Merida received its first branch of La Europea, in the City Center mall.

sfmacaws

May 11, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4103 views)

Shortcut

Well, I was given a bottle of Xtabentun 4 or 5 years ago and it is still in my cabinet and still a full bottle, no one so far has wanted any. I dislike the taste of anise or licorice so I won't be drinking it. I've offered it to guests and set it out at parties but, alas, no takers.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

May 11, 2012, 3:58 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4095 views)

Shortcut

sfmacaws

May 11, 2012, 9:52 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4048 views)

Shortcut

Not many Americans at the beach, they are pretty much all Canadians out there. Just remember it is 'oil sands' not 'tar sands' and you'll be fine.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4