Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Sculptari

May 2, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4893 views)

Shortcut

Summer Sweats

Can't Post |
Summer is definitely on the way, getting hotter everyday here on the Pacific coast (properly - the Eastern Pacific). Good time to make sure you are stocked up on 'sweat' supplies. In particular, to avoid sweat rash. I use a silicone cream that I have never seen for sale in Mexico, it is sold as a medical item in the U.S. and Canada to prevent bed sores. There are many products designed for athletes, again never seen in Mexico http://www.trinowfitness.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=83.
Also great, are those microfiber shirts which immediately wick away sweat. The "Under Armor" company has made a fortune selling micro fiber underwear to military stationed in the Middle East. Does anyone else have tips to pass on?

Growing old in the tropics is an 'extreme' sport - who knew!?!?
no longer active on Mexconnect

La Isla

May 2, 2012, 9:46 AM

Post #2 of 17 (4860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Summer Sweats

Can't Post | Private Reply
Or you can move to the Central Highlands for the duration of the summer sweat season! If you feel hot, just walk on the shady side of the street.

morgaine7

May 2, 2012, 10:29 AM

Post #3 of 17 (4850 views)

Shortcut

Mexsana powder works well for me, and it's readily available, at least in Baja California Sur.

Kate

cookj5

May 2, 2012, 11:35 AM

Post #4 of 17 (4835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Summer Sweats

In Reply To
Or you can move to the Central Highlands for the duration of the summer sweat season! If you feel hot, just walk on the shady side of the street.

"Walk on the shady side of the street"? Wasn't that a rock n' roll song from the 50s? Or maybe it was a cheap romance novel...? Good advice though!

La Isla

May 2, 2012, 1:41 PM

Post #5 of 17 (4794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Summer Sweats

In Reply To

In Reply To

"Walk on the shady side of the street"? Wasn't that a rock n' roll song from the 50s? Or maybe it was a cheap romance novel...? Good advice though!

I believe the line from the song of the same name is "On the sunny side of the street". Not rock 'n' roll but a classic straight from the Great American Song Book, written in 1930. Here's a great version with The Benny Goodman Sextet with Peggy Lee doing the vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15MBSwHoa4. Enjoy!

esperanza

May 2, 2012, 2:23 PM

Post #6 of 17 (4783 views)

Shortcut

And then there's this one, with The Carter Family: http://www.youtube.com/...A&feature=fvwrel.

Maybe because YouTube detects that my URL is in Mexico, but I get a sidebar AND a pop-up advertisement for El Copetón on the video. Sheesh.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Sculptari

May 2, 2012, 2:23 PM

Post #7 of 17 (4783 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Whew La Isla - that version made me sweat. Here is the song I associate with that term, an Irish band, The Pogues, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaKWLoFYmQ Brilliant musicians, brilliant songwriters, brilliant arrangements, but their singer/songwriter was perpetually drunk on stage and had a mouthful of rotten, missing teeth.

Yes the master plan is to up into Los Altos, and beyond, in the summers to learn Spanish in an intensive environment. The problem is we are still traveling with a very old, nearly blind dog - which complicates things. Do you know of any language schools that teach in a cultural context, in a colonial city, perhaps? Sort of like a tour guide - but encouraging Spanish.

GringoCArlos

May 3, 2012, 8:03 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4641 views)

Shortcut

I like those sealed ice packs that you can refreeze and reuse. I can either recline in a chair in a shady spot, or on my sofa, and put it on my chest to cool down, In my mind's eye, I can see that photo on his website of Rolly asleep in his chair outside his house, but with his bare feet in an ice bath. Both work to stay cool. :-)

If you don't like the medicated scent of Mexsana powder, visit the baby aisle in the supermercado and get Johnson's Baby Powder. Just watch out for fungal skin problems if you use it a lot.

Gringal

May 4, 2012, 8:37 AM

Post #9 of 17 (4591 views)

Shortcut

Guess what? It was over 90F yesterday in the highlands of Ajijic, Jalisco, and getting hotter by the day. If I could figure out how to swing it, it would be "May away" for me. Some friends here just headed up to visit all their friends and relatives in northern CA for the month. Way to go.
Trouble is, you need those folks up there to put you up and put up with you.
We sweat. This, too, shall pass.

Goyo

May 4, 2012, 5:46 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4521 views)

Shortcut

for me all cotton everthing works best. living on the nayarit coast we get plenty hot and humid. i wear as little as possible for the situation i am in. and i have no air conditioning, just fans. i take lots of showers just to rinse with cool water. i think the sweating is cleansing but we need to watch out for dihydration. keep something like pedialite on hand. i drink a gallon of water a day in summer... sweat and pee all day and night.

leegleze

May 6, 2012, 7:17 AM

Post #11 of 17 (4424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] Summer Sweats

In Reply To
i take lots of showers just to rinse with cool water.

Yep, and by the time you're half dried off, you're sweating buckets again. Try putting on makeup to go out for the evening ... most of the makeup ends up on your neck before you take a step outside! I dispense with everything but lipstick in the summer beccause I think to myself : "Who am I trying to impress anyway?" Women can relate to wearing bright cotton prints to hide the fact that they're not wearing a bra, and men take advantage of the ease of just taking off their shirts.

But have you noticed how the Mexicans dress? The men wear cotton undershirts to wick off the sweat from their outer shirts, and long pants with cotton socks. The women tend to still dress in polyesters, but often carry umbrellas to stay out of the sun. Like them, I carry a little terrycloth facecloth if I go out to pay the electric bill. Now THAT makes me sweat!!! :)
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

May 7, 2012, 3:18 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4282 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

Sculptari

May 8, 2012, 6:21 AM

Post #13 of 17 (4234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Garry Ladouce] Summer Sweats

Can't Post |
Here's a Pogue's song that brings the thread back on topic - Summer in Siam. It captures the spectacular beauty of the tropical rain, but also has a sense of melancholy, probably because it sounds like the singer put tequila in his morning juice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n3RjNBb104&feature=related

rockydog85251

May 18, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3856 views)

Shortcut

When we first moved to Mazatlan, we were told be carry around a terry cloth wash cloth to mop up sweat and to SURE to drink lots of water and plenty of electrolytes. We still use the electrolytes whenever it gets warm and now even our gardener likes a glass of it when he is here working. It will prevent cramps that are so uncomfortable.
Willie

Sculptari

May 18, 2012, 6:27 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Summer Sweats

Can't Post |
Now this is kind of embarrassing - but my Trinidad friend (Trinidaddy - now gone, blind & diabetes) told me to cut de holes in mee pockets - one towel for mee privates. an anudder for my face. Don't get dem mixed up mee Brudder, Mon!!!

rayitodeluna

May 20, 2012, 11:37 AM

Post #16 of 17 (3748 views)

Shortcut

Growing old, and caring for the young! I have a 1 yr old and 2.5 yr old... These are things we do (or don't do) to stay cool.

Drink tons of water, and avoid soda/tea/coffee . Iced tea is ok every once in awhile, but its my understanding that drinks with caffiene are dehydrating.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies. They have more water in them ( and isnt that more appetizing than a hot meal right now anyway?)

Try to stay out of the sun between 11am-3pm , if you have any choice in the matter. The earlier you run your errands the less hot it will be outside.

Don't forget sunscreen and hats, or umbrellas like other PPs mentioned!

Keep in mind where in the house you place your fans. Rme,ber that fans essentially pull the air behind them into the air... One day I wasnt thinking and placed the fan in front of a hotspot in our house - a window that facing the afternoon sun. The fan was blowing HOT air! I moved it 12 feet so it was in front of a screened door that leads into a garage. The garage is covered by a real cement roof, and is actually cooler than the rest of the house. (figures!) then the fan was pulling the nice, cool air from the garage into the house. That is now the fans permanent spot!!

I love having bright, airy rooms. But when its 90 degrees plus, we keep the window coverings on the windows that face the afternoon sun shut. It helps with keeping the house not too too hot.

I put cups or bottles half full of water in the freezer at night and throughout the day. I for one, can not stand to drink hot/warm water. I then add water to them and drink water all day like that. This helps me drink more water.

Remember that dehydration causes more health problems than just feeling hot. It may be a good idea to up your fiber intake to prevent such problems, if you catch my drift.... ;)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

sfmacaws

May 20, 2012, 6:04 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Summer Sweats

I don't use AC, and I live in a tropical part of the country, because it makes it seem hotter when you go out of it. I don't think you ever adjust to the climate if you are in AC most of the time, thus you are always uncomfortable when outside. I try and stay out of places with AC unless it is an extremely hot afternoon. I did sleep with it (set on 26°) for 2 nights last week because the humidity was so high. Until it rains regularly, it is the humidity that is uncomfortable.

The Maya here in Yucatan don't like cold drinks, they prefer tepid or 'room temperature' because they say you absorb the water better and it keeps you cooler. I used to think they were nuts but lately I've found that I too prefer water that is air temp. I also drink one bottle of Electrolit a day to keep a balanced magnesium/potassium mix.

I'm not a morning person but even I get up earlier in the summer, and I take a nap most afternoons. I nap in a hammock under a fan or on a floatie in the pool, usually I wake up chilled on the floatie. There is something really wonderful about falling asleep in air that is the perfect temp without coverings. It feels really luxurious to me, it's one of the things I love about summers here.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4