Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

hunteradvisor

Apr 23, 2012, 3:04 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3786 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Drivers' License

Can't Post | Private Reply
So we just realized that afyer nationalizing our truck we need to have a Mex license. Can you tell me if the exam includes a driving test in addition to written. Any chance there is reciprocity with my US license?
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

johanson

Apr 23, 2012, 3:31 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Mexican Drivers' License

Although things may have changed. I didn't have to take a drivers test when I first got my Mexican license in Jalisco 15 years ago, not did others who had active US drivers licenses a year or so ago here along the Northern shores of Lake Chapala.

Rolly

Apr 23, 2012, 4:12 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3764 views)

Shortcut

Driver's licenses are a state matter, and the rules vary among the states.
You might get better answers if you specify the state you live in.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Apr 23, 2012, 4:31 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3749 views)

Shortcut

Yucatan's driving test: Prove you can parallel park between 2 cones.
If you hit a cone, they move them further apart for you to try again.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

onebusyman

Apr 23, 2012, 5:00 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3739 views)

Shortcut

I just got mine in Nayarit and they asked me some questions about height, weight, eye color, blood type and any illnesses, took my picture and a week later I went back and picked it up (they were 'out' of driver's licenses so I had to wait until they got some more in!)

No written or driving test......paid my $325 pesos (they were on sale in March) and left.

Funny, the picture here is a bad as the one I had in Washington!?

esperanza

Apr 23, 2012, 5:51 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3727 views)

Shortcut

I just got a new license in Mexico City; my old one from Michoacán was due to expire.

I accessed the online payment form, filled it out, took it to the bank, and paid. The payment form was valid for 60 days.

When I got to the licensing office, they asked me for my proof of payment, voter registration card (official ID) and asked if I had ever had a drivers license. They did not ask to see my Michoacán license as proof.

They took my picture and my fingerprints. They printed and laminated my new DF drivers license and handed it to me.

That was all. In and out in half an hour.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Apr 23, 2012, 8:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3698 views)

Shortcut

In most states you can probably drive using your existing US drivers licenses. Me and my late Mexican wife did not get Mexican drivers licenses until our Alaska licenses were about to expire, we had nationalized both of our cars a couple of years before we got Mexican drivers licenses. We used to be able to renew our Alaska drivers licenses once every five years via mail, so we only needed to visit The DMV office every ten years there. Of course, they stopped the renewals by mail after we moved here.

My wife was involved in a little fender-bender accident here once after we got our Mexican licenses. It was decided that she needed to pay a small fine. Her Mexican license was taken to assure that she would pay the fine, and a temporary, pasteboard license was given for her to use. As she was walking out to her van, she asked a cop how long the temporary license was valid. He pointed to the Alaska license plates that were still on the car, and asked her if she still had a US license? When she told him yes, he said “No problem, use that one.”

There was no driving, or written test here, there was no vision or physical tests either. There are two Mexican states that will not issue a drivers license to a non-Mexican citizen. If you know the right people, there is usually a work-around for that restriction. Here in Morelos state, a drivers license is only good for one year for non-Mexican citizens, I need to renew my license every year here. Since my wife died a couple of years ago, I now have another three years before I can get dual citizenship, and a four year drivers license. Who knows where I will be in three years?

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sparks

Apr 24, 2012, 6:28 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3666 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Mexican Drivers' License

My experience in Cihuatlan - Jalisco

I paid $495 pesos at the Recaudadora Municipal. Take that receipt, visa, passport and proof of residence (Constancia or CFE Bill in your name) ... with copies of the last three to the Validad office. You also need to know your blood type and have a name and number of someone to contact in case of emergency. They didn't ask about a previous licence.

There was a simple eye test on the computer followed by 20 driving questions in Spanish. No driving test was required. I hear you can take an interpreter or the officer on duty may be helpful

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Papirex

Apr 24, 2012, 8:06 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Mexican Drivers' License

It is interesting that you mentioned blood type. My first drivers license had the wrong blood type listed for me. It was listed as being type O negative. I happen to be a military veteran, so I know my blood type is A positive. One of the few bits of medical knowledge I know about is that type O negative blood may be transfused into anyone, with no problems, regardless of the recipients blood type.

In a nation with few, or no blood banks, it would probably be just as much of a problem for an accident victims family to find blood donors with either blood type, so I had the blood type listed on my Mexican drivers license corrected. It now is listed as type A positive on every renewed license I get every year.

I think the untrained people in the transito office were just taking the easy way out for them, so they could get back to what they do best, goofing off.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4