Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 9:10 AM

Post #1 of 31 (22518 views)

Shortcut

Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply
Please, I am genuinely looking for a way to ease fears of a member of my family back home. I am not looking to debate or banter about "safety" in MX. Of course, everyone is welcome to comment as this is the internet.
:) (smiling)

I have a very dear cousin who is concerned about our safety - we are planning a weekend trip to Acapulco soon. She sent me a link to an NPR story
http://www.npr.org/...ives-bloody-drug-war

And even prefaced the email with "feel free to call me a paranoid American, but isnt there anyother place you would rather go?"

She is a very educated woman, who cares for me and my family a lot. I don't want to simply reply "a lot of foreign media overplay the situation" , I would like to link her to a more accurate reporting of goings on in Mexico. Before you ask, yes - she would actually spend time reading a link if I sent one.

I hope not too many of you rolled your eyes reading this thread ;) she is a dear cousin and friend and I don't want her to worry the whole time we are there. Of course, we will excersize caution, won't be driving a Hummer, wearing head to toe diamond jewelry or be toting our iPads everywhere. :)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

karenanron

Apr 23, 2012, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 31 (22506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply
We're moving to Mexico later this year and are getting the same bs from our friends. Ask her if she'd feel better if you went to south central LA. Pick any city in the US and you will find someone was killed. I also tell them "thanks for your concern, but we'll be fine. When you see me next, I'll be all rested and tan"....lol

RickS

Apr 23, 2012, 9:50 AM

Post #3 of 31 (22490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply
Of course your (uninformed) family is concerned.... they love you. I have the same experience from relatives (my wife's not mine!) every year when we travel south.

Personally I don't think there is anything anyone can say to you or your cousin. One can spout statistics and probabilities until they are blue in the face. It just doesn't work when one's mind is made up that you are putting yourself in harm's way.

chinagringo

Apr 23, 2012, 10:03 AM

Post #4 of 31 (22486 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Since the beginning of time, immediate family, relatives and friends have attempted to control the lives of others under the guise of love, caring or concern. IMO, there should come a point in time in each of our lives when one needs to "cut the cords" and actually live our individuals lives for ourselves. To some, this may sound extremely self centered or selfish but I would prefer not having to look back and have to say: "I wish I hadn't listened to someone else and missed out on a positive opportunity"!

I also don't buy into rationalizing by pointing the finger at some other city in the world in attempting to justify a decision.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Altahabana

Apr 23, 2012, 12:35 PM

Post #5 of 31 (22459 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think Rick is right. There is probably nothing either of you can say that would change the other's opinion about this issue. I would just repeat the stock answers in a non-confrontational way. I doubt you are going to find anything to link other than a private blog that is going to spin the situation in Acapulco in a convincing manner.

La Isla

Apr 23, 2012, 12:49 PM

Post #6 of 31 (22454 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Please, I am genuinely looking for a way to ease fears of a member of my family back home. I am not looking to debate or banter about "safety" in MX. Of course, everyone is welcome to comment as this is the internet.
:) (smiling)

I have a very dear cousin who is concerned about our safety - we are planning a weekend trip to Acapulco soon. She sent me a link to an NPR story
http://www.npr.org/...ives-bloody-drug-war

And even prefaced the email with "feel free to call me a paranoid American, but isnt there anyother place you would rather go?"

She is a very educated woman, who cares for me and my family a lot. I don't want to simply reply "a lot of foreign media overplay the situation" , I would like to link her to a more accurate reporting of goings on in Mexico. Before you ask, yes - she would actually spend time reading a link if I sent one.

I hope not too many of you rolled your eyes reading this thread ;) she is a dear cousin and friend and I don't want her to worry the whole time we are there. Of course, we will excersize caution, won't be driving a Hummer, wearing head to toe diamond jewelry or be toting our iPads everywhere. :)

She may be "a very educated woman", but if she's never spent any time in Mexico, then it will be hard for her to discount all the awful news about Mexico that appears daily in the UN media. On the other hand, she might consider that your first-hand experiences living here are a more valid view of the security situation than sensationalistic news reports trying to attract readers and advertising revenue. Maybe you should invite her for a visit so she can see for herself!

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #7 of 31 (22445 views)

Shortcut

Re: [karenanron] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply

In Reply To
We're moving to Mexico later this year and are getting the same bs from our friends. Ask her if she'd feel better if you went to south central LA. Pick any city in the US and you will find someone was killed. I also tell them "thanks for your concern, but we'll be fine. When you see me next, I'll be all rested and tan"....lol

"rested and tan!" the rested part isnt likely for me (mom to two young ones) but heck yeah, I do tan well ;) hope your move goes well.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 1:21 PM

Post #8 of 31 (22443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Of course your (uninformed) family is concerned.... they love you. I have the same experience from relatives (my wife's not mine!) every year when we travel south.

Personally I don't think there is anything anyone can say to you or your cousin. One can spout statistics and probabilities until they are blue in the face. It just doesn't work when one's mind is made up that you are putting yourself in harm's way.

Thats why I tried to word my post the way I did - she is doingit outof love and concern... But is also quite uninformed! Thanks Rick, with time perhaps she will worry less :)

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 1:25 PM

Post #9 of 31 (22437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply

In Reply To
IMO, there should come a point in time in each of our lives when one needs to "cut the cords" and actually live our individuals lives for ourselves. To some, this may sound extremely self centered or selfish but I would prefer not having to look back and have to say: "I wish I hadn't listened to someone else and missed out on a positive opportunity"!

Neil, this is exactly why the post was "how do I make her worry less" NOT " should I go to Acapulco or not?" . We are going, regardless of her concern. Just like we moved to Mexico City, despite concerns from everyone we knew. We love life here. I feel safe on a daily basis, doing life's normal tasks AND traveling for pleasure here in MX.

I do realize, there are family members/friends who voice concerns to try and tell people what to do, but I think my cousin realizes her email wont change my mind ;)

Who can deny gorgeous beaches and fresh seafood?! Not I ;)

Thanks for the response.

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 1:28 PM

Post #10 of 31 (22434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I doubt you are going to find anything to link other than a private blog that is going to spin the situation in Acapulco in a convincing manner.

Thats what I was wondering. Most the places I have read positive stories about life/traveling in MX have been personal blogs. My cousin is a blog reader, but Im not aure she would take that as "proof" . Im not saying I need to give her proof, but I honestly don't want her fretting all weekend either. Guess Ill just reassure her that we will be ok and will excersize caution.

Thank you

rayitodeluna

Apr 23, 2012, 1:34 PM

Post #11 of 31 (22431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply

In Reply To
She may be "a very educated woman", but if she's never spent any time in Mexico, then it will be hard for her to discount all the awful news about Mexico that appears daily in the UN media. On the other hand, she might consider that your first-hand experiences living here are a more valid view of the security situation than sensationalistic news reports trying to attract readers and advertising revenue. Maybe you should invite her for a visit so she can see for herself!

Yes, you are right - she has never been to MX and most of her traveling experience has been northern europe. Fortunately, she does have plans to come visit for a special occasion next spring, but until then (almost a year from now ) she will just have to take my word for it! I cant wait to show her (and her darling toddler!) around Mexico City. Her husband may or may not be able to come with due to job scheduling.

She was super worried about the trip down here (when we moved we drove through Texas, Reynosa, Matehuala, and on to Mexico City) but she did feel better when we arrived with absolutely no problems at all. This may just have to be the same way - after we go to Acapulco and have a great time, perhaps her fears will be eased a bit.

La Isla

Apr 23, 2012, 1:44 PM

Post #12 of 31 (22424 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You're welcome!

cookj5

Apr 26, 2012, 4:10 PM

Post #13 of 31 (22247 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I get the same scared attitude from many NOB folks. I publish a weekly photo-journal blog about our adventures living at Lake Chapala and traveling all over Mexico. Fairly regularly I get comments on the blog to the effect of "yeah, it looks like a beautiful and fascinating place, but what's it REALLY like?" If they have spent any time at all looking through my blog posts, and they still can't overcome their fear of traveling here, there's really nothing I can say. Some folks probably should just stay home. They can be murdered in their beds just as easily (and less expensively) there than here.

For those interested: http://cookjmex.blogspot.mx

May 20, 2012, 6:47 AM

Post #14 of 31 (21726 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

Rolly

May 20, 2012, 7:50 AM

Post #15 of 31 (21703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply
Ignore the fear mongering. You have been given good advice in other posts.

Rolly Pirate

rayitodeluna

May 20, 2012, 7:51 AM

Post #16 of 31 (21704 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks all for the input.
We just spent a week in Acapulco and had a blast. Great weather for it, beaches werent too crowded, the girls had fun.

I can see other people are concerned with the saftey there, they have started a campaign to tell travelers to tell other people of their safe and fun time spent there. There are " Habla be de aqui" signs hanging up all over town... Could just be a tourism tactic I guess.

It was great, thanks again!

May 20, 2012, 8:20 AM

Post #17 of 31 (21688 views)

Shortcut

Rolly

May 20, 2012, 8:30 AM

Post #18 of 31 (21681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Swiss Garry] Answering family fears of traveling to "dangerous" places in MX (Acapulco)

| Private Reply
You could start by spelling my name correctly.
Of the 50,000 or so deaths attributed to the drug wars, the vast majority have been the bad guys; some security forces, and very few innocent civilians. To quote 50,000 deaths as proof that México is dangerous to the average person, resident or tourist, is disingenuous.

Rolly Pirate

May 20, 2012, 8:52 AM

Post #19 of 31 (21673 views)

Shortcut

bournemouth

May 20, 2012, 9:09 AM

Post #20 of 31 (21662 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Garry - why are you being rude to Rolly - he's asked you to spell his name correctly yet you persist with your error.

joaquinx

May 20, 2012, 9:17 AM

Post #21 of 31 (21658 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Members of this forum often place other contributers into one of two categories: those we listen to and those we don't. You are beginning to fall into the latter category.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

stevebrtx

May 20, 2012, 10:04 AM

Post #22 of 31 (21647 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I lived in Chicago, traveled out of there for 3 years, not dangerous? There is an invisible line just S of downtown, the Loop if you will, where you don't cross, day or night. And about once a year some yahoo from Indiana decides to go to the big city and makes a wrong turn of the expressway and you read about him in the papers the next day.

As for your "respected" sources, thanks for the laugh, the NYTimes? - ancient - yes, slanted, blind to what they don't want to print and so far from "hallowed" the word isn't in the same language. Years ago when people didn't have access to the news sources we have today they, the "Gray Lady" was a king maker, beyond reproach (so many thought) today they're just "beyond".
http://www.chapalaweather.net

May 20, 2012, 10:30 AM

Post #23 of 31 (21638 views)

Shortcut

stevebrtx

May 20, 2012, 11:15 AM

Post #24 of 31 (21601 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You certainly have two options and both are totally at your disposal and choice. You can join in, pull in the hackles and become a productive member, or if you insist, and persist, in poking the bear I'm sure they will oblige you and ban you, your choice. But don't, in either case, play the "poor me card" whether it's ethnicity, personality or circumstance, it doesn't buy you a lot here because there are those here with considerably more diverse heritages, considerably more miserable personalities and circumstances you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. It is your choice.

PS: Rolly isn't much on disliking people, he doesn't have the time or temperament, he hates my politics, loves my weather station, so go figure.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

May 20, 2012, 11:35 AM

Post #25 of 31 (21599 views)

Shortcut

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4