Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Apr 17, 2012, 11:32 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7421 views)

Shortcut

Electricity usage meters?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone successfully used a home electrical usage meter to measure the power consumption of individual appliances?

Two brands I am considering are "Kill-A-Watt" and "Watt's Up? Pro".

I'm wondering if these meters would still provide reliable data given CFE's higher nominal line voltages, i.e., 127 VAC in Mexico as opposed to 115-117 VAC in the US.

Any experience?

Thanks,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 17, 2012, 2:08 PM

Post #2 of 9 (7402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Electricity usage meters?

sure I have a "Kill-A-Watt" meter in both Mexico and up north. And the electrical usage or watts is simply the amperage times the line voltage; both of which the meter measures.

Oh and just to make things difficult, the ideal acceptable line voltage level is 127 volts in Mexico and by statute they can be within 10% of that and be OK. Years ago my line voltage was closer to 120 volts. Then after a transformer was messed with, I would see a low of about 135 volts when everyone was drawing power and a high of 143 during periods of low usage.

I had to document same and take a printout to the electric utility (CFE) to ask for help.

These days, I and only a few other homes are connected to a new transformer and the voltage is usually within 1% to 3% of 127 Volts. But each neighborhood is different.

stevebrtx

Apr 17, 2012, 6:05 PM

Post #3 of 9 (7377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Electricity usage meters?

Pete's right, Kill A Watt, I brought one down 5 years ago, wouldn't be without it. When I buy anything new, the first thing I do is run it on the meter to see what the consumption is. Other times it's plugged in showing the voltage, when we have brownouts it tells me if we're getting 95, or 130 volts, both will light a bulb, but 95 will burn out a pump motor if not unplugged. In short, they're worth their weight in gold and should be standard issue for anyone living in MX and plugged into the CFE (can't furnish electricity)
http://www.chapalaweather.net

YucaLandia

Apr 17, 2012, 6:09 PM

Post #4 of 9 (7377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Electricity usage meters?

Mr. Kimpatsu,
The Kill A Watt meter works great here.

We've tested power usage at different homes in different neighborhoods on a wide variety of household loads: Incandescent lights, electric motors, all flavors of TVs, washers, dryers, fridges, fluorescent lights, fans, computers, etc. at voltages ranging from 117VAC to 135VAC.

The Kill A Watt meter reliably measures a Volt-Amp combination:
(Twinkle, twinkle, little star, Power equals I-squared R)
or... I x V for DC voltage or RMS voltage.

All the readings from the past 5 years matched expected values, regardless of input voltage - which fits the
I x V mechanics.

Check out http://www.yolisto.com/...wattage-consumption/ for some example Kill A Watt values - see the wiz1 post.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 17, 2012, 6:15 PM)

Papirex

Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7343 views)

Shortcut

Any idea if a Kill-A-Watt meter can be bought in México, or online? We are having lots of power problems lately, I don't think the “electricians” that work for CFE even know what a Watt, Amp, or probably voltage is. The electrical workers usually don't know what you are talking about when you mention them.

LyF was bad enough, but since CFE took over, things have gotten far worse. I would prefer to buy a Kill A Watt meter here, if possible. LyF had a telephone number to call in case of trouble. Since CFE took over, if you call it now, two things may happen. Either no one answers, or, you get the message that the number does not exist.

I have a cuñado that will be making a trip here from Washington state next month. Many, many things are stolen by the thieves working for Homeland Security from his luggage right in the Seattle airport, plus, with the excess baggage charges, it can be expensive to have him carry anything heavy down here now.

I never dreamed that the electrical service was as dysfunctional as it is down here when we moved here several decades ago. I do carry a card in my wallet with the mathematical formulas to determine Watts, Amps, and Volts. Watts = Amps X volts, Amps= Watts divided by volts, and volts = watts divided by amps. It is clumsy to use those formulas. It will be much easier to have a meter, since I need at least two values to determine the others.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

johanson / Moderator

Apr 18, 2012, 7:08 PM

Post #6 of 9 (7311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Electricity usage meters?

I was hoping someone else would have a better answer, Rex. Although I bet they can be found down here, I don't know where. I find it easier to order it via Amazon, etc, have it delivered to my Seattle Condo, and then bring it down for me. They are not that big.

redevil66

Apr 19, 2012, 5:12 AM

Post #7 of 9 (7299 views)

Shortcut

You can find it on Mercadolibre.com I just checked and it is around 400 pesos plus shipping.

stevebrtx

Apr 19, 2012, 1:49 PM

Post #8 of 9 (7269 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Electricity usage meters?

Trust me Rex, the meter is gold. For example, you just pull out the frig, plug it in and the frig into it, push the frig back in and forget it for a few days, then you can read the period of time of the "test" and how many watt hours it used as the frig cycles so you can project it out to a month or CFE cycle. I have a little under counter frig in the upstairs bar and ran a scan which shows it uses about $5 a month - I decided it's worth it to keep the cerveza chilled.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Axience123

Nov 20, 2012, 3:24 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4594 views)

Shortcut

Paid Survey for Messengers

Are you using a messenger such as Skype, Whatsapp, ooVoo etc.? Participate in a survey and win iPad (mini)! This is not spam – you can contact us directly: Gleb Zhukov at gleb.zhukov@axience.com. Please follow the link to sign-up for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4