Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Sculptari

Apr 7, 2012, 3:15 PM

Post #1 of 1 (3399 views)

Shortcut

Vigilante or Valiente?

Can't Post |
I have a concept of these two terms, which in Sam Quinones book , gives the impression they are still very much alive in Mexico. Vigilantes, of course are when a group of local people (more often described as a 'mob') take the law into there own hands, and carry out an immediate, and often brutal, justice. Valiente is a more complicated term to me, and I was wondering if anyone can explain it. As I understand is it a town bully, hired to avenge what someone considers a vile act.

The context, and the debate here is over the "Tatoo Bandit". The one in the hills of Puerto Vallarta who robbed three cruise tourists on a tour bus, prompting international coverage. It has now been reported -not IN ANY NEWSPAPER Of ANY KIND - but still what is considered a reliable source, that the bandit was found shot dead, and the police were informed of his exact location. The impression, from this source, was a warning to others not to try this ever again. Of course, there are wild speculations every way, and we never know the truth.
no longer active on Mexconnect

(This post was edited by Sculptari on Apr 7, 2012, 3:16 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4