Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

babycakes

Apr 5, 2012, 5:02 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2320 views)

Shortcut

Need Advice- FMT to FM2 for me and my car

Can't Post | Private Reply
I came in on an FMT (tourist visa) and also by car so I got a temporary tag for my car. However, since my husband found a job (Mexican national) it looks like we will be staying here longer term. I want to know if I change my FMT to an FM2 how that will affect the status of my car. Will I have to take it to the border no matter what? Or if I change my status to an FM2 will it also extend the permiso for my car as well (even if I have to visit an office here in DF to take care of it). If it matters, my 180 doesn't expire until mid June.

chinagringo

Apr 5, 2012, 6:01 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [babycakes] Need Advice- FMT to FM2 for me and my car

You will find the answers to your questions here:

http://rollybrook.com/car_things.htm
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

babycakes

Apr 5, 2012, 7:17 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Need Advice- FMT to FM2 for me and my car

I looked at it, I don't see my answer there! I need to know if changing my status from FMT to the FM2 I am also able to change the status of my car without having to go to the border with it.

Rolly

Apr 5, 2012, 8:38 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2270 views)

Shortcut

If you want to keep the car, DO NOT get an FM2 (Inmigrante); get an FM3 (No Inmigrante).
The problem with a car and an FM2 is that the only flavor of FM2 that allows you to have a foreign-plated car is
Inmigrante - Rentista. Since you will (I assume) be registering as a spouse of a Mexican national, you will not be a Rentista.
This is not a problem with an FM3. You will be able to keep the car.

You do not have to return to the border, but you do have to notify Aduana of any change in your visa status.
How to do that is explained here.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Apr 5, 2012, 8:43 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2266 views)

Shortcut

Yes, your car's Temporary Import Permit (from Aduana/Banjercito) is valid as long as your associated INM permit.

When you convert your FMM (FMT does not exist anymore) to a Inmigrante (FM2), then if you get an Inmigrante Rentista at ( slang: FM2-Rentista), then you can keep your car here on its Temporary Import Permit. Other categories of FM2's may not allow you to keep the car here. Pretty much all categories of No Inmigrante FM3´s have been allowed to keep your foreign plated car legitimate.

When you get your new INM permit, you have 15 days to go to your Aduana office to file a letter documenting the new expiration date of your new INM visa.

This is all described at Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico and

Moving to Mexico: FMM, FM2, or FM3?

steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

robt65

Apr 12, 2012, 12:49 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2043 views)

Shortcut

Hello babycakes,

Rolly and Yucalandia are both correct in their answers but I see that not all of your original question was answered. It is not required for you to go all the way back to the border where you got your original car permit or to any border crossing for that matter to get an update to your permit.

I am married to a Mexicana and live here in Queretaro. I originally had an FM3 and changed to an FM2. I also had my permit switched at that time and it was no charge. I believe that here in Mexico, every state has their own Federal Aduana Office. Ours here in Queretaro for example is next to a large military base in the City of Queretaro.

I had to take my car ownership papers as well as my yearly car license registration, my FM 2 Immigrante . . . . Rentista as well as some other information which I did not have to take but it made it a very easy process. I took along my marriage documents as well as my Passport and that was used. I also had a cargo trailer on my cars permit so I also took those ownership and current registration with me, which was lucky I did because they were also used.

The Queretaro Aduana Office had the necessary form on hand and all we did was to fill it out, show the documents they wished to see and the whole process took about 15 minutes. I was given a copy of the form and it was stamped by the Aduana office (this is important as it might be a few days before you have any kind of your new immigration papers in hand). Don’t worry about that as your stamped Aduana papers (that you should make a copy of) keeping the original in the car with your permit papers will have any necessary information on it. You do need to keep the original Aduana Stamped Paper Extension in the car at all times. You might also wish to get a copy of Article 106 and keep that along with those papers as well. Rolly can explain that article much better than I and why it is advantages to carry a copy of that.

So don’t worry . . . . Find your local (State) Aduana Office and head right on down, it really is pain free and it is also a no additional cost item, which surprised me.

Have a good time down here.

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4