Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

lorirobin

Mar 30, 2012, 11:16 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5175 views)

Shortcut

CFE and Paying Online

Can't Post | Private Reply
We usually pay our electric in advance, when we return to the states, but for the last two years
CFE has made an error in their favor and trying to straighten it out
is such a hassle. It takes several trips, multiple copies of all statements
and a couple of weeks, coming and going.
Now they tell me I can pay my bill online. Great! But here's the rub.
They claim I can use my credit card from the USA. I don't have a Mexican
bank account or Mexican credit card.
Can anyone verify this for me?
Thanks,
Lorirobin

lorirobin

May 13, 2012, 1:16 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lorirobin] CFE and Paying Online

Well, I can answer my own question now.
After being assured by two different CFE officials
that yes, I could pay my Mexican electric bill online
using my credit card from the U.S. , I can safely say
it can't be done. Maybe with a Mexican credit card. I have
to assume the 'officials' I spoke with didn't know
the difference.

tonyburton

May 13, 2012, 1:34 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for taking the time to post the update!

stevebrtx

May 13, 2012, 2:57 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] CFE and Paying Online

More and more things are becoming difficult to deal with "cross border". I'm continually annoyed by things online which read my IP and won't open or dump a Spanish web site on me. A couple of months ago I ordered some "security" items and even though my CC are Laredo based my IP was read as MXN - I had a heck of a time getting it all straightened out.

In this fellows case, I suspect the bank NOB is seeing a MXN debit and backing away. However, that is happening in reverse worldwide with the new FATCA banking laws, more and more countries are refusing American customers opening accounts, they just don't want the hassle of reporting etc. So, it's a two way street we live on.

As far as the CFE, I read my meters daily and the rental agency I use has instructions NOT to pay the bill until I approve it, I don't trust them as far as I can throw one of their trucks.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

johanson / Moderator

May 13, 2012, 3:51 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4725 views)

Shortcut

I sure hope you are wrong; because I'm heading north Tuesday. But because of your tip, even though I was told that I could pay my Mexican Telcel account up north, I shall go in Monday and buy more time giving me two months of good time. And yes I will be back in less than two months.

Although I have a property manager who will pay my electric, telephone, water bill etc. when I'm up North, I know folks who do not have a manager and who estimate how much they will owe, and simply pay even more in advance, hoping that they will have over-paid when the next bill is due

Again, thanks for the tip.

bournemouth

May 13, 2012, 4:25 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] CFE and Paying Online

You can recharge your Telcel Amiga program phone in the north - but if you have a data plan, that probably has to be paid here:

http://www.telcel.com/portal/personas/amigo/recarga/recarga_extranjero.html?mid=1116#

Axience123

Nov 20, 2012, 3:12 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3106 views)

Shortcut

Paid Survey for Messengers

Are you using a messenger such as Skype, Whatsapp, ooVoo etc.? Participate in a survey and win iPad (mini)! This is not spam you can contact us directly: Gleb Zhukov at gleb.zhukov@axience.com. Please follow the link to sign-up for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4