Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Mar 29, 2012, 12:08 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5948 views)

Shortcut

White Fish Steaks ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know if Costco carries any kind of white fish (such as Halibut (or other bottom fish), Swordfish, Albacore) steaks? I like fish that doesn't taste or smell real fishy. Usually the oilier a fish is the less I like it. I absolutely do not like smelly fish.

Thanks

robt65

joaquinx

Mar 29, 2012, 12:36 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] White Fish Steaks ?

Costco carries Halibut. In addition, if any fish smells fishy, it's old. It should (must) smell like sea water.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

robt65

Mar 29, 2012, 3:38 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] White Fish Steaks ?

Thanks for the tip! I really appreciate it. We are headed there on Saturday for sure! I do appreciate it. I know how to tell freshness, as I have fished for many years on the Pacific Coast in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Now that's halibut and salmon country!

robt65.

HarryinNM

Mar 31, 2012, 4:38 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5857 views)

Shortcut

We have a distinct preference for buying our seafood from local vendors. Pargas (or Snapper) is almost always available from or fish mongers. We find it mild and delicious. Not, of course, in the same class as halibut but excellent.

We shun seafood offers at Sam's, City Club, and the major supermarkets due to freshness issues with those mass marketers.

Harry in Cuyutlan

robt65

Mar 31, 2012, 5:04 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HarryinNM] White Fish Steaks ?

I know a lot of folks like Red Snapper but to me, it definitely is a stronger oily fish and smells a bit too strong for my preferences. I'd take a Costco Sam’s Club or HEB halibut steak any day over a Red Snapper. Having lived a while in Prince Rupert (Halibut capitol of Canada) I have seen the "fast freeze" mother ships for the commercial fishing fleet, and I can tell you they do an excellent job. A good brand frozen Halibut is very, difficult to tell from a fresh caught these days. "Fresh caught” usually isn't cooked or bought until a day or two after it has left its home in the sea; then it probably sits in the fridge at home for a day and then if lucky gets cooked. Fresh "fast freeze" process takes place within 20 minutes after being on board the commercial fishing ship.

I do respect your preferences but I also respect mine. Enjoy your Snapper and I will enjoy my Halibut steak. Hopefully if I am real lucky, it will be a “left handed” Halibut.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 31, 2012, 5:07 PM)

chinagringo

Mar 31, 2012, 5:20 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5846 views)

Shortcut

Robt:

As you personally know, I have been much the same as you with my fish preferences. For years, I would only eat sushi prepared from tuna or salmon until I received an "education" from a Japanese/Chinese chef I worked with. He created sushi with fresh snapper and a number of other unknown flavors that were right tasty and definitely not fishy. As he explained to me, it is all about the source and the handling! While I really enjoyed his examples, I wouldn't order those same fish cooked because of the smell and the heavier taste.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

HarryinNM

Mar 31, 2012, 7:43 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] White Fish Steaks ?

I am truly sorry, Robert, that you have had such poor experiences with snapper. I, too, have some considerable experience with fresh halibut, having caught it (for personal consumption) along with other species including salmon, in the waters off Kodiak Island, AK and around Cook Inlet near Anchorage. Based on my experience, I must assume that the snapper you have had has not been properly cared for from the ocean to your table. It is certainly not an oily fish and if it appears so, it is probably not as fresh as it should be.

And, Neil, we have had a heck of a time finding truly fresh finned fish in ABQ. For that matter, we had a horrible experience with scallops purchased from one of the super markets there. Contrariwise, we have been eating wonderful fresh seafood here in Cuyutlan, CO, - several times weekly - for the past five months. In New Mexico, we may have fin fish every couple of months (shrimp much more frequently) because of unsatisfactory quality. Since we'll return to NM in about a month and be shopping in ABQ again, any suggestions regarding seafood sources would be most appreciated.

As you both indicate, I, too, am commenting only in the interest of sharing useful information, and from personal experience.

Harry in Cuyutlan

chinagringo

Mar 31, 2012, 8:13 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HarryinNM] White Fish Steaks ?

Harry:

Having moved to Albuquerque from years of living on the Oregon Coast, one of our biggest disappointments has been the lack of quality seafood. Then again, what can one expect in the middle of the high desert? Much like beef, we have boiled it down to shopping at Costco and are quite selective about what we choose to purchase. Beyond Costco, we have tried a number of other specialty sources and have not been impressed.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4