Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Mar 25, 2012, 4:08 PM

Post #1 of 17 (7813 views)

Shortcut

Papas - Papas - Papas

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK . . . . . . . . , so what kind of potatoes does one use here for a good baked potatoes on the grill or a great bowl of mashed potatoes!?

I have tried twice now some white colored pale yellow skin potatoes for mashed potatoes and they come out tasting and with the consistency like Poi !

I am open for an education in Mexican Potatoes! (smiling) '

robt65

DavidHF

Mar 25, 2012, 7:44 PM

Post #2 of 17 (7792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Papas - Papas - Papas

You need the Russets that are grown in Sonoara. If you can get those they're perfect. If you can't you're SOL. The whites are tasteless and the reds don't get big enough to be bakers.

esperanza

Mar 25, 2012, 8:11 PM

Post #3 of 17 (7784 views)

Shortcut

For mashed potatoes, I have used those white potatoes with the pale beige skins ever since I've lived in Mexico. I cook them till they are very tender, mash them with milk, lots of butter, and salt to taste. IMHO, they are as good as any mashed russets.

There is nothing to compare to a baked russet, though. I've never seen one for sale in Mexico--although some folks do say they see them once in a while at SuperLake in San Antonio Tlayacapan, just east of Ajijic.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DavidHF

Mar 26, 2012, 10:40 AM

Post #4 of 17 (7741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Papas - Papas - Papas

Pancho always has russets for Thanksgiving thru Christmas. Occasionally other times too.

Rolly

Mar 26, 2012, 10:50 AM

Post #5 of 17 (7739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Papas - Papas - Papas

Who is Pancho, and where is he located?

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Mar 26, 2012, 11:00 AM

Post #6 of 17 (7734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Papas - Papas - Papas

Pancho is the boss at SuperLake, in San Antonio Tlayacapan, Jalisco--just east of Ajijic.

chinagringo

Apr 8, 2012, 5:31 PM

Post #7 of 17 (7520 views)

Shortcut

Some of the very best fries I have had in Mexico was at La Burger just outside of San Miguel de Allende. One can see them run the potato through a french fry press and then immediately place the cut fries in the hot oil. From there, you can watch them go directly to the plate to accompany your burger choice.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Apr 8, 2012, 5:31 PM)
Attachments: DSCN1308.JPG (31.9 KB)

Anonimo

Apr 8, 2012, 6:03 PM

Post #8 of 17 (7512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Papas - Papas - Papas

Hamburguesas Richard's, in Morelia Centro, makes excellent fresh cut French Fries by the two pass method.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

happynz

Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM

Post #9 of 17 (7407 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Papas - Papas - Papas

Yeah, yeah, I don't want to get into the whole French Fries v Chips (as in fish n' chips) debate, but instead focus on what a gorgeous pile of potato goodness you have pictured there.
Así pues...aquí estamos...

Anonimo

Apr 14, 2012, 9:01 AM

Post #10 of 17 (7366 views)

Shortcut

**REAL** Heinz Ketchup in the picture. That's a real plus.
EDIT: In Neil's attached picture.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Apr 15, 2012, 3:38 AM)

chinagringo

Apr 14, 2012, 9:14 AM

Post #11 of 17 (7363 views)

Shortcut

I am guessing that their condiments and meats come from Costco in Queretaro? Definitely one of the very best burger and fries that I have ever consumed in Mexico but at $130MXN, it should have been.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Apr 14, 2012, 2:49 PM

Post #12 of 17 (7341 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
**REAL** Heinz Ketchup in the picture. That's a real plus.

Is there a difference between mexican Heinz and nob Heinz?I don't think HJ Heinz would have approved of any tampering with the original recipe.

esperanza

Apr 14, 2012, 2:59 PM

Post #13 of 17 (7339 views)

Shortcut

Chinagringo, in the first place there is a Costco in Morelia. If the wonderful folks at Richards needed to buy something at Costco, they wouldn't go to Querétaro for it.

Second, it is highly unlikely that they go to Costco for their beef, either. 99% of restaurant owners don't. Richards is a 100% Mexican operation--and not a large operation, at that, in spite of having one middle-size restaurant and two separate tiny spaces spots. The Morelia Mercado de Abastos would be their purveyor for most of their raw materials, possibly including even the beef. They peel, cut, and fry their own plain ol' white (not russet) potatoes throughout the day, as they take them from 100-pound bags.

Richards is one of the things that I truly miss about Morelia. I didn't often need or want a hamburger-and-fries fix, but when I did, nothing but Richards would do.

chinagringo

Apr 14, 2012, 3:05 PM

Post #14 of 17 (7337 views)

Shortcut

Apparently I wasn't clear to you anyway. The reference was to the Heinz bottle in my photo from La Burger. It was La Burger that I was referencing as possibly shopping at Costco in Queretaro or they could possibly shop at the one in Celaya?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Apr 14, 2012, 3:07 PM)

esperanza

Apr 14, 2012, 9:00 PM

Post #15 of 17 (7308 views)

Shortcut

You were replying to a post made by Anonimo, according to the quote line in what you wrote.

Anonimo

Apr 15, 2012, 3:37 AM

Post #16 of 17 (7293 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza, for an excellent burger experience in el DF, we enjoy those served at Hamburguesas a la Parilla stand, at the corner of Calle Colima and Calle Morelia, Colonia Roma Norte. That is about two or three blocks north of Av. Álvaro Obregón.

The juicy, grilled hamburgers are very good, but the place has two drawbacks: there is no seating, but you could take your food across the street to the Parque Pushkin; and worse, they don't have French Fries!

But to balance that, they do sell Jarritos sodas, including the tamarindo flavor.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Apr 18, 2012, 6:27 AM)

sarahyoung75

Apr 18, 2012, 2:34 AM

Post #17 of 17 (7222 views)

Shortcut

Yellow potatoes are considered "all purpose", which means that you can use them to cook easy potato recipes like mashed or baked potatoes. Russet are perfect to cook mashed potatoes and also are good for baking.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4