Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Yacatecuhtli

Mar 13, 2012, 10:25 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4072 views)

Shortcut

How Arrest of Gang Leader Sparked Chaos in Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
"The capture of the leader of an emerging gang in Guadalajara sparked days of chaos, suggesting the CJNG still has the strength to strike back, but the arrest could mark a changeover of criminal power in Mexico's second largest city."

"This risk of greater violence only rises in the weeks and months that follow a major arrest. As many analysts, including InSight Crime, have pointed out, the arrests or killings of big capos often cause a spike in bloodshed, as erstwhile lieutenants and adversaries battle over his empire. The news that Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman was recently almost nabbed in Los Cabos by the Federal Police has fueled speculation that his arrest is imminent, and sparked worries that this could gravely complicate Mexico’s attempts to consolidate recent security improvements."...............

Full article here http://insightcrime.org/insight-latest-news/item/2342-how-arrest-of-gang-leader-sparked-chaos-in-guadalajara

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

bournemouth

Mar 13, 2012, 10:31 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] How Arrest of Gang Leader Sparked Chaos in Guadalajara

I'm not sure that "chaos" continued beyond Friday - perhaps some Guadalajara residents can fill us in on that.

Bennie García

Mar 13, 2012, 11:36 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] How Arrest of Gang Leader Sparked Chaos in Guadalajara

The "chaos" was limited to Friday. And the article also states that Zapopan is a wealthy suburb of Guadalajara which shows a complete lack of knowledge of local geography. After a brief description of Friday's events probably 80% of the article runs on with information on parts of Mexico far from Guadalajara.

These sites that claim expertise in the narco situation are generally rubbish. Unfortunately their readership hasn't figured that out.

tashby

Mar 13, 2012, 2:57 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4015 views)

Shortcut

As soon as I read "sparked days of chaos" in the first sentence, I dismissed the whole thing as utter bullshit.

My Spanish teacher lives at Lake Chapala during the week and returns to Guadalajara for the weekend. I just returned from class where I asked him if he got caught in the mess Friday afternoon when he and his brother normally drive back. He said that they hadn't because they waited until 7:30pm to return. Otherwise, he said Saturday was perhaps a little quieter than normal in Guadalajara, and Sunday was just another day.

The future is of course unpredictable, but that never seems to stop the supposed "experts".

cbviajero

Mar 13, 2012, 3:53 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] How Arrest of Gang Leader Sparked Chaos in Guadalajara

GDL Noticias reported that there were 60% fewer traffic accidents than normal friday night due to the empty streets,saturday business as usual,we stayed home friday night.
Chris

Yacatecuhtli

Mar 13, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3979 views)

Shortcut

Re: How Arrest of Gang Leader Sparked Chaos in Guadalajara

I do not think that this article says anything that has not already been said in the Mexican press. But since some people do not read the Mexican press I thought some might find it insightful.

There certainly was a great deal of chaos on my street where passengers were forced off a bus, (that I use fairly often), at gun point and then the bus set ablaze.

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

sparks

Mar 13, 2012, 6:02 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3975 views)

Shortcut

What's most interesting to me is how top heavy these groups are and so dependant on a few leaders. The members must not trust anyone and their only option is to fight over the remains. Strange crew

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4