Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bgracie

Mar 7, 2012, 4:18 PM

Post #1 of 10 (5359 views)

Shortcut

Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in Ajijic right now, and I met a woman last month in Sayulita who told me there is a women's shoe store in town that sells shoes made specially for walking in the cobbled streets. Does anyone know the name of this store? Thanks!

Vichil

Mar 7, 2012, 4:40 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

Last time I saw these shoes they were sold at the store Mi Mexico at the back, Corner of 16th de Septiembre and Colon (what ever Colon is called that far down towards the Lake). I have not been in that store for a long while so not sure if they are still there but that is where I saw them last.

esperanza

Mar 7, 2012, 4:49 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5351 views)

Shortcut

The shoes are known as the 'San Miguel sandal'. You can also buy them online at Zappos.com--http://www.zappos.com/vivanz-san-miguel.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Mar 7, 2012, 5:09 PM

Post #4 of 10 (5342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

I was in Mi Mexico this week - they have a good selection and more are due in shortly.

bgracie

Mar 7, 2012, 8:48 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

Thank you!

Gringal

Mar 8, 2012, 12:13 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5260 views)

Shortcut

I was in Mi Mexico this week and they do have them there, and expect a new shipment soon. If you're taking a trip to San Miguel, the factory is there and they are much less expensive, but that's another matter.

I've been wearing them for seven years and they have saved me from being a "fallen woman" on more than one occasion. However, some models are more stable than others. I wear the "cocktail combat" model with the heavy, wide heels. The flats are comfortable, too.

Musicman

Mar 9, 2012, 12:59 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

Do you folks buy online? If so, it must take weeks or months delivery. Or maybe I'm stuck on memories of the early 2000's.

Gringal

Mar 9, 2012, 9:02 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

Yep, stuck in the olden days. lol.

Nowadays, it arrives in days or weeks, depending on the shipper. Order online; give credit card number and off she goes. It the shipper doesn't fancy sending to Mexico, set up an account with a go-between like Merkalink. Store ships goods to Texas Merkalink branch; they handle the customs and transfer to Mexican deliverer such as Estafeta. Arrives on your doorstep. Tracking numbers supplied. If you hit a good sale and/or get free shipping from the store, you're saving bucks.

esperanza

Mar 9, 2012, 9:18 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Womens shoes made for walking on cobblestones

I recently bought a pair of shoes (not the SMA shoes) on eBay and asked that the seller ship them to me in Mexico City. They arrived within a week, no duty charged.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Zardoz

Mar 12, 2012, 2:40 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5014 views)

Shortcut

Keens are best for the cobblestones. My wife has them in many different colors and styles. They also are a sandal that protects
your toes. They also pass her fashion test that my Teva's don't. You need a shoe almost the opposite of the typical Vibram
soled hiking shoe. The bottom of any good cobblestone shoe must mold around the cobble giving you good footing without
being so soft they wear out. I wore out a set of water Tevas in three months before we figured out that I needed a different
rubber compound. For Men I would suggest Teva's, for women Keen's. Teva's are ugly, Keen's are at least some attempt
at fashion and Berkenstocks are hopeless on the cobblestones but they make great house slippers on the tile floors.

Z

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4