Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rayitodeluna

Nov 3, 2012, 8:02 AM

Post #26 of 27 (3961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sarahyoung75] Sprouting beans

Can't Post | Private Reply

Just wanted to update that we have sprouted many more times since this post lentil beans, as they are readily available and delicious! Have introduced about 25 people to sprouts in the past 3 months ;)

Also, found a store that sells seeds , and inquired about seeds for sprouting (germen) . He said the people who sell alfalfa seeds in their local market but their seeds from them. I informed him that wasnt enough proof for a mother feeding her young children raw sprouts from an unknown source and asked to be shown the bag they came in... Read the bag(s) and there was no mention of any additives. He showed me some other seed he sold that DID have fungicide in it - they had a pink powdery coating. Then he showed me the bag for those - which clearly stated in large bold letters that the seeds contained fungicide.

So I bought some (he had to varieties of alfalfa) and they didnt srpout that great anyway! ::)

Also discussed with my brother who works on a research farm at his university the entire subject. He informed me there are powdery coatings that would be obvious to the human eye and also liquid coatings. He said to be sure that I could rinse the seeds in warm water before starting the sepouting process and it would remove 95% of anything coating the seed.

I havent made the alfalfa sprouts again, even though my brother was VERY convinced that they were fine. He isnt a parent, so clearly not as paranoid as I am.

So we will stick with beans that I can buy at the store - safer and at least I know they arent coated in something strange!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

rayitodeluna

Nov 13, 2012, 7:48 PM

Post #27 of 27 (3892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Sprouting beans

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good news! I found soy beans at Comercial Mexicana in their bulks foods section. Have them soaking right now and will let you all know how they turned out.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4