Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sparks

Mar 7, 2012, 6:59 AM

Post #1 of 27 (14304 views)

Shortcut

Sprouting beans

Can't Post | Private Reply
Never seen mung beans here. Any other suggestions?

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

esperanza

Mar 7, 2012, 7:13 AM

Post #2 of 27 (14291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Sprouting beans

Alfalfa, soy, radish...radish sprouts are delicious.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sparks

Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 27 (14268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Sprouting beans

Gonna have to start looking for fresh beans and seeds. Been warned about those in plastic bags that may have been sealed for years ... and don't want to buy little packets of radish seeds for the garden

mazbook1

Mar 7, 2012, 5:25 PM

Post #4 of 27 (14244 views)

Shortcut

Sparks, You're better off with those sealed plastic bags of indeterminate age. That's the only thing I have ever used, and I have produced all sorts of sprouts many, many times over the years quite successfully. At least with the sealed plastic bags sold for human consumption, you don't have to worry about harmful contaminates that might be in bulk seeds sold primarily for planting. Those often have added antifungals and other poisonous things mixed in with them. With any sort of packaged beans, you should sort out the little rocks and broken bits that are invariably present, but you don't even have to clean them otherwise, since the sprouting seeds must be rinsed with fresh water (chlorinated is fine) every day until fully sprouted and ready to use.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Mar 7, 2012, 5:27 PM)

Anonimo

Mar 9, 2012, 6:19 AM

Post #5 of 27 (14202 views)

Shortcut

Haven't seen the beans to sprout, but then, I haven't looked for them. I have seen two kinds of fresh sprouts in the Pátzcuaro mercado.

Saludos,
Anonimo

sparks

Mar 9, 2012, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 27 (14182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Sprouting beans

Bought some of the greenest beans from a bin in a grocery store ... peruano and another similar

Soaked over night and a daily rinse. On day two they are starting to sprout and may have a taste test in a few more

mazbook1

Mar 9, 2012, 5:24 PM

Post #7 of 27 (14157 views)

Shortcut

Most instructions for sprouting don't recommend soaking overnight as the first step. If it's a bit too warm, and you let them soak a bit too long, they will start fermenting, rather than sprouting. I just put the dried beans or seeds in my sprouting jar, rinse thoroughly, then put the jar in a dark cupboard and be absolutely certain that I rinse again every 24 hours (or even less, since it doesn't actually hurt the process to rinse twice a day instead of just once).

I have quite successfully sprouted pinto beans, soy beans, mung beans (the one used for the "standard" sprouts) and alfalfa seed. Haven't got around to some of the others yet.

Camille

Mar 12, 2012, 1:01 PM

Post #8 of 27 (14087 views)

Shortcut

The semilla store in Bucerias has plenty of mung beans as well as many many other beans, all possible for sprouting. I know the semilla stores in the Guad abastos do too. And if you're in Ajijic, the store on the Carretera next to Gossips restaurant also has them. I use a plastic jar with plastic moscatero screen for a top, held in place by a rubber band. Good luck!

sparks

Mar 13, 2012, 3:29 PM

Post #9 of 27 (14031 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Sprouting beans

One batch went moldy over night. Had to toss them but added a little microdyne to the other.

Some stems a couple inches long and taste similar to Mung. In the fridge and ready for a salad

mazbook1

Mar 13, 2012, 4:33 PM

Post #10 of 27 (14022 views)

Shortcut

If you're not using chlorinated water for your rinses, mold could be a problem. As you see, a small dose of Microdyne will act the same way.

sparks

Mar 13, 2012, 5:31 PM

Post #11 of 27 (14018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Sprouting beans

No idea what's in our tap water ... so was using bottled water

rayitodeluna

Apr 20, 2012, 10:37 AM

Post #12 of 27 (13528 views)

Shortcut

How did your experiement turn out? I have had a craving for fresh sprouted alfalfa sprouts on a sandwich for a couple months. I have NO clue where I can get seeds to sprout here in the north of DF.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

rayitodeluna

Apr 20, 2012, 10:41 AM

Post #13 of 27 (13527 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Did a google search and realized - of coure ! You can sprout chia seeds to make microgreens!

http://thehappyrawkitchen.blogspot.mx/...ting-chia-seeds.html

link includes photos, instructions and anotherlinkto more instructions for those interested.

I actually have chia seeds in the fridge right now!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

Maesonna

Apr 20, 2012, 11:39 AM

Post #14 of 27 (13518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Sprouting beans

We can buy sprouts… alfalfa, broccoli sprouts, bean sprouts, and I forget what else—about 5 different types—at the supermarket (Comercial) here in south DF. Not sure about the seeds, but there are some seed stores in our town. Also, do you have any Nutrisa stores, or tienda naturalistas in your area?

rayitodeluna

Apr 20, 2012, 4:22 PM

Post #15 of 27 (13502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Sprouting beans

In Reply To
We can buy sprouts… alfalfa, broccoli sprouts, bean sprouts, and I forget what else—about 5 different types—at the supermarket (Comercial) here in south DF. Not sure about the seeds, but there are some seed stores in our town. Also, do you have any Nutrisa stores, or tienda naturalistas in your area?

Well, I do have an invite to come to yourpart of town ;) have been waiting just awhile until my sciatic nerve can handle the drive down there.

We do have Nutrisas, but I have never seen seeds there. I have seen a Tienda naturalista nearby, but havent ventured in yet. That is another place to start for now! Thank you ;)

La Isla

Apr 20, 2012, 5:31 PM

Post #16 of 27 (13490 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Well, I do have an invite to come to your part of town ;) have been waiting just awhile until my sciatic nerve can handle the drive down there.

I have been included in that invitation. It's really a long ride even by car to that extreme southern end of the city, so you'd better make sure your sciatic nerve is completely healed before taking that trip.

rayitodeluna

Apr 20, 2012, 5:57 PM

Post #17 of 27 (13486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Sprouting beans

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well, I do have an invite to come to your part of town ;) have been waiting just awhile until my sciatic nerve can handle the drive down there.

I have been included in that invitation. It's really a long ride even by car to that extreme southern end of the city, so you'd better make sure your sciatic nerve is completely healed before taking that trip.

Thanks for the heads up. Riding in cars right now is...fairly impossible for long periods of time. And it seems, I am the furthest north and she is the furthest south so... What, two hours sin trafico?

(and my inlaws want us all to go to Acapulco next weekend... By car.yikes!)

La Isla

Apr 20, 2012, 6:04 PM

Post #18 of 27 (13483 views)

Shortcut

I would beg off that trip for the time being. Just plead extreme pain as your excuse.

rayitodeluna

Apr 21, 2012, 9:15 PM

Post #19 of 27 (13446 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I would beg off that trip for the time being. Just plead extreme pain as your excuse.

And if extreme pain isnt a good enough excuse......Then I need new inlaws! (una broma, I like my inlaws!) :)

I did want to comment that today I found alfalfa sprouts and mung bean sprouts at Chedraui in San Miguel Chalma. (far north in mexico city) . However, I am more interested in aprouting my own, so will be continuing the search for seeds and beans. Did start a batch of lentils to sprout, I want to make my inlaws this recipe since they love chicken salad, but also love vegetarian meals.

http://sproutpeople.org/...curried_lentils.html

And today I made my inlaws super simple tortas with refried beans (with queso oaxaca) , cream cheese with fresh herbs from the garden and a little milk blended together (to make it spreadable) , the alfalfasprouts, beans sprouts and for those that needed meat- low sodium turkey breast sandwich meat.

Everyone approved!

La Isla

Apr 21, 2012, 9:20 PM

Post #20 of 27 (13444 views)

Shortcut

Your tortas sound yummy! I'll try to reproduce them in my teeny-tiny kitchen though since I have no garden, the herbs will have to come from the market. What herbs did you use?

rayitodeluna

Apr 21, 2012, 9:37 PM

Post #21 of 27 (13442 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Your tortas sound yummy! I'll try to reproduce them in my teeny-tiny kitchen though since I have no garden, the herbs will have to come from the market. What herbs did you use?

Thank you!

I should have admitted... By "garden" I meant "haphazardly throw together container garden" , but it provides me with fresh herbs, nonetheless.

I only used basil and sage. Normally wouldnt have used sage, but it actually turned out really well. Since you are going to the market, I would recommend dill (mxn version is called "eneldo" I believe ), basil and chive (or green onion would probably work as well). Those would have been my first choices.

Although my suegra told me it smelled like mentha, which I do have in a container but didnt use ;) I didn't argue with her ;)

Hope it turns out! Let me know if you make any changes, Im sure good old cukes and tomatoes would be good if you want more substance and dont want to use turkey meat. :)

(This post was edited by rayitodeluna on Apr 21, 2012, 9:39 PM)

La Isla

Apr 21, 2012, 9:57 PM

Post #22 of 27 (13436 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the cooking tips. If we lived nearer to one another, I'd ask you to be my maestra de cocina : ) .

rayitodeluna

Apr 21, 2012, 10:03 PM

Post #23 of 27 (13435 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the cooking tips. If we lived nearer to one another, I'd ask you to be my maestra de cocina : ) .

Ay, Gracias, muy amable . :) I am far from an expert, but do love to eat and do love to cook! Perhaps one day we can have a cooking party and enjoy good food and good conversation as well :)

La Isla

Apr 21, 2012, 10:05 PM

Post #24 of 27 (13431 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like fun!

sarahyoung75

Apr 24, 2012, 4:05 AM

Post #25 of 27 (13371 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In fact, lentils sprouts are much higher in calories and protein than mung bean sprouts. Really this was a good site. Thanks for sharing.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4