First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RickS

Mar 6, 2012, 11:14 AM

Post #1 of 36 (16193 views)

Shortcut

Cuota Fees

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just an FYI....

I made the trip from Guadalajara to Laredo, up through Lagos de Morenos and over to Hiway 57 just south of San Luis Potosi, last Thursday 3/1/12. The total toll charges on the cuotas was 618 pesos, or about $50 at 12.5 pesos/dollar. Although it was not my original plan I drove it non-stop.... leaving Ajijic at 6:30 a.m. and arriving at the border at 5:15 p.m. It took about 30 minutes to turn in my TIP and about 15 minutes to get through customs. I used Bridge II.

The tolls, once reaching Hiway 57 just south of Potosi (for those in San Miguel who might be interested), were 287 pesos or about $23.

Reefhound

Mar 6, 2012, 11:58 AM

Post #2 of 36 (16180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Cuota Fees

Did you turn in the TIP at the caseta on the road to the bridge or at the lane next to immigration building? I don't remember ever taking more than 5 or 10 minutes.

RickS

Mar 6, 2012, 3:36 PM

Post #3 of 36 (16136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Cuota Fees

I turned it in at the lane next to the main immigration building. This is where everyone else appeared to be turning theirs in as I was the 12th car in line when I pulled up.... when I left the line had doubled. I did not see the "caseta on the road to the bridge" (I assume that you mean Colosio). This was the first time that I had exited from this location and I had just driven 11 hours from Guadalajara.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 7, 2012, 11:49 AM)

Altahabana

Mar 6, 2012, 4:07 PM

Post #4 of 36 (16123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Cuota Fees

The caseta just before the toll booths where you can turn in the TIP is not always open. It is never open in the early mornings when I cross and I have only seen it open occasionally on weekends.

In case anyone is planning a trip through here soon, be aware that there have been two very public, major incidents in Nvo. Laredo over the past five days--the latest occuring Sunday evening at the Walmart on Reforma. There are sketchy details in the Laredo Texas paper and more in the Borderland Beat blog about the latter event. The major incident last Thursday occured on the road to Columbia bridge and a secondary event caused the military to close Colosio for a while in the afternoon.

Yacatecuhtli

Mar 6, 2012, 4:30 PM

Post #5 of 36 (16115 views)

Shortcut

Hi,
I will be making the same trip you did soon and have not decided on a routing yet. (will mostly depend on "events" closer to my departure date but... good to know it can be done in one day. That is what I would like to do.

was wondering if there was a reason that you chose the 57 over the 54 or (the 45 to 54)

Thanks

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

stevebrtx

Mar 6, 2012, 5:26 PM

Post #6 of 36 (16103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Cuota Fees

I'll be on the road to Laredo by 6 tomorrow morning, but I bypass Lagos and go to Augascaliente, Lagos is too spooky for me.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Yacatecuhtli

Mar 6, 2012, 5:30 PM

Post #7 of 36 (16101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Cuota Fees

so you will be taking the 80 to 45 to 54 route I guess. Are you planning on getting to Laredo in the same day or will you overnight somewhere ?

stevebrtx

Mar 6, 2012, 5:54 PM

Post #8 of 36 (16094 views)

Shortcut

I turn N short of Lagos on 45N, turn E at the S side of the Nissan plant and skirt Aguas and then 70 E to Ojuelos and rejoin the normal route. One day, from here at the lake it's 11 hours.

RickS

Mar 6, 2012, 6:30 PM

Post #9 of 36 (16083 views)

Shortcut

Yacatecuhtli, it was mainly a personal choice based on the following:

+ this trip I wanted to cross out at Laredo Tx
+ Within reason I wanted to see something other than the same ole road I had seen the last few crossings
+ I wanted to go the route that I felt 'could' be done in one day, whether I ended up accomplishing that or not

If by saying 'the 54', you mean the route that leads out of the northern section of Guadalajara towards Zacatecas City, I have traveled that winding 2-lane road before and liked it but would not take it if 'speed' was a consideration. But that route is void of toll roads all the way to Saltillo!

I presume your '45 to 54' means from Guadalajara to Aguascalientes to Zacatecas then up to Saltillo on 54. I have taken that route twice before including last year. Going that route again 'violated' my 'been there done that' criteria. But that is a good route and probably as good a route as going over to 57 and up.

An interesting side note on 'events'.... As mentioned by Altahabana elsewhere, there was a major event in Nuevo Laredo last Thursday. It started around noon and went on for several hours. Several cartel members were killed in a confrontation with the Federal Police, some of whom were injured. This 'event' was mainly on Hiway 2, the road to the Colombia crossing. The interesting part is that..... 3 hours later at 5pm I came into N. Laredo on Hiway 85 up from Monterrey. AND one would have never known nor guessed that a few hours earlier a BIG shootout had occurred. Things on my route looked as normal as they could be. Saw a couple of municipal police just standing around or sitting nonchalantly on a motorcycle but simply nothing out of the ordinary. So my point is that none of us can know when something might come down and even when it does, a few hours later things are back to normal (granted I did not head towards the Colombia crossing on Hiway 2 where I might have either been stopped from traveling or seen a great deal of police presence).

RickS

Mar 6, 2012, 6:53 PM

Post #10 of 36 (16073 views)

Shortcut

Steve would you please expound on our comment 'Lagos is too spooky for me'....

When I was heading out that way, a friend said that there had been some 'incidents' in Lagos in the past. There is a bypass so one does not actually go into Lagos. And of course after Lagos there is the 'open but not really' new road right beside hiway 80 which is decrepit. Locals seem to use the new road some but.... It's been in that condition for several years now and no one seems to know why they don't just open it up and use it. Actually a small portion of it is used.

AlanMexicali

Mar 6, 2012, 7:11 PM

Post #11 of 36 (16068 views)

Shortcut

I also would be interested in why the new road Hwy. 80 is not open all the way, but do see some cars and small trucks on it. The bus doesn't use it from Ojuelos to Lagos or back except the small portion you mentioned.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 6, 2012, 7:15 PM)

Altahabana

Mar 6, 2012, 7:20 PM

Post #12 of 36 (16060 views)

Shortcut

One small correction--it was a marine unit that took down the Zeta convoy last Thursday, including the top guy in this area. These events are probably of more concern for local residents than motorists in transit, but they can happen along any routes the Zetas regularly use.

stevebrtx

Mar 6, 2012, 7:49 PM

Post #13 of 36 (16055 views)

Shortcut

My problem is the danger on that 2 lane road with all the trucks etc. nothing to do with other problems. Eventually if they ever open the "new" good road I'll go back to it, but the few times I drove the lagos road it scared me to death. Plus one year I got stuck in a religious pilgrimage, that was a real mess.

AlanMexicali

Mar 6, 2012, 8:18 PM

Post #14 of 36 (16047 views)

Shortcut

We got stuck on that road during the religious pilgrimage also, 2 Januarys ago, but it was going the opposite direction we were going and only slowed us down about 1 hour or so.

Yacatecuhtli

Mar 6, 2012, 10:22 PM

Post #15 of 36 (16030 views)

Shortcut

Re:Cuota Fees

Thanks for the information rick and steve. I am really looking for the fastest route between Guadalajara and Laredo. Have never crossed at Laredo, usually cross at Nogales, but need to go east this time.

RickS

Mar 7, 2012, 11:14 AM

Post #16 of 36 (15970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Re:Cuota Fees

" I am really looking for the fastest route between Guadalajara and Laredo."

Well, I've been 'both' routes and I believe (and mapquest agrees) that the route through Lagos De Moreno over to Saltillo (bypass) will be the fastest. The route through Aguascalientes/Zacatecas/Saltillo is about 50 miles shorter but because one has to go through Aguascalientes (yes, there is a 'bypass' but it is riddled with traffic and signal lights) and through the heart of Saltillo it will take longer in time.

Steve objects to driving that gawd-awful highway 80 from Lagos up to Ojuelos de Jalisco. I agree that it is a narrow 2-lane and full of truck/bus traffic but I just drove it and would do it again.

If you want any 'tips' about that route, let me know.

Rick

stevebrtx

Mar 7, 2012, 5:57 PM

Post #17 of 36 (15925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Re:Cuota Fees

Clean shot today, 11 hours, Riberas to the middle of Bridge #2, then 20 minutes to get on across. 4 military checks, 2 Feds with the big scanners and one "Fruta". Easy run if you call 11 hours in a Jeep as fun. Only 4 more tomorrow then 2 hours in the air.

careyeroslib

Mar 8, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #18 of 36 (15847 views)

Shortcut

Re; Bridge II. Does anybody know if the topes on the US side just after you cross have been improved at all? They were brutal in July (about 3 in a row, one very large indeed.

Thanks.

RickS

Mar 8, 2012, 2:50 PM

Post #19 of 36 (15845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Cuota Fees

They are still gargantuan!!! I was driving a Camry with a lot of luggage and I drug bottom. I guess they are there to impede someone from flying through there in a get-a-way, but really!

stevebrtx

Mar 9, 2012, 5:44 AM

Post #20 of 36 (15790 views)

Shortcut

Still there, even in my Jeep their proud and tall.

Altahabana

Mar 9, 2012, 5:59 AM

Post #21 of 36 (15782 views)

Shortcut

The topes which are alongside the secondary inspection area are there for the protection of pedestrians crossing over from the bus inspection/parking area to the building where foreign visitors get their I-94s. There was a fatal accident a few years ago involving a pedestrian and a number of injury accidents.

The last two-part barrier just past the secondary inspection area before the public streets/IH 35 begin, was added within the last two years, reportedly because of a couple of incidents where persons transporting contraband failed to stop. Those last two topes/barriers are quite formidable.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Mar 9, 2012, 6:01 AM)

careyeroslib

Mar 9, 2012, 9:16 AM

Post #22 of 36 (15752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Cuota Fees

Altahabana, one quick question, is Bridge I any better in terms of reasonable topes?

I know you donīt recommend Columbia. So, can you recommend another crossing with topes where it is possible not to scrape if one is going very slowly. Piedras Negras?

Altahabana

Mar 9, 2012, 11:11 AM

Post #23 of 36 (15740 views)

Shortcut

I hardly ever cross from Mexico to the US at Bridge I, but there aren't any topes comparable to those at Bridge II that I recall. There isn't the need for them because there is no pedestrian traffic cross traffic in the small cramped secondary inspection area.

I don't think topes at the new bridge in Eagle Pass are as high either. Same reason as Bridge I in Laredo---the layout is different than it is at Bridge II in Laredo. I haven't crossed at the old bridge in Eagle Pass for years but I doubt topes are much of a problem.

I guess it's because I have gotten accustomed to them from crossing daily, but I don't find the series alongside the secondary inspection area that bad. The two stage metal ones at the end can be a real challenge.

As an aside, I don't recommend Columbia because of events like the one that happened on March 1. There have been serveral other full scale encounters on that road in the past two years that didn't draw coverage outside the local area. The only balacera occurring directly at a major bridge in the Laredo corridor happened at Columbia four years ago.

Like earthquakes in California, these types of events are inevitable. The Zetas constantly use Highway 2 to move men and materials around in the Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Coahuila frontera. The military is out there regularly looking for them. And, without being too sardonic, unlike tourists and ex-pats in transit, the military knows what they look like.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Mar 9, 2012, 11:23 AM)

careyeroslib

Mar 10, 2012, 12:45 PM

Post #24 of 36 (15661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Cuota Fees

Thanks as always Altahabana.

It was actually the full scale metal ones at the end of Bridge II which were too much for our low-slung fairly heavily packed Camry. We had just gotten new tires shortly before and when we had the car checked to see if the undercarriage had been damaged they informed us the front tires were shredded. Until we are able to get a tougher car I have to find another bridge going north (going south was fine).

Apologies to RickS for diverting this thread.

Thanks RickS, Altahabana and everyone.

Altahabana

Mar 10, 2012, 3:11 PM

Post #25 of 36 (15627 views)

Shortcut

Bridge I should work fine. But it can be a disorganized mess during holiday crossing periods.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4