Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

robt65

Mar 6, 2012, 3:38 AM

Post #1 of 9 (8016 views)

Shortcut

47 Years Later . . . . . . What a Difference!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I finally had the opportunity to revisit Mexico City after a 47 year absence. What a difference! Since I had to go to the Canadian Embassy on personal business, I read many experiences by folks who "say" they have driven in Mexico City and their (for the most part) horror stories had me concerned enough, to get a lift from a doctor friend who lives there on his return from his weekend retreat in our pueblo, rather than drive myself.
Needless to say I had tried to prepare myself for the "shock" of a bigger and certainly busier Mexico . . . . . . but such a difference, I wasn't prepared for. So it was only for one night and day . . . . . it gave me a quick prep for future visits. I was happy that I had the chance to use the taxis, a couple of buses, as well as a restaurant or two and a hotel. All in all a very nice city with very pleasant experiences of the locals in and around the areas I had to go to.

Even using the bus service back to San Juan del Rio, was a breeze. The folks back NOB (are you listening Greyhound!?!?!?!?!?! ) sure could take a less or two on clean bus stations from the Northern Cross Autobus Terminal.

On a Monday morning I was fully prepared for a traffic nightmare of GRID Plus! It really wasn't any uglier than say L.A., or for that matter C.D. Queretaro. Next time I visit, I am surely going to drive myself. Heck I have been on Blvd Quintana in Queretaro at “siesta time” and the traffic wasn’t any worse or ugly. I didn’t really enjoy the driving in it, but it certainly wasn’t impossible or a “war zone”, as some people lead one to believe.

I must say, it was the locals who impressed me most. Friendly and helpful . . . . .. everyone of them. Most spoke very good English right down to the hotel doorman and desk clerks. The hotel (Hotel Parque Satelite)at $750 MX Pesos a night was a bit pricy for my taste but again, it was a very large room with a king bed that was in excellent condition.

The in-room water pressure was a real treat after not having it for a while and hot water as soon as the tap was turned on was greatly appreciated. Great towels and in room coffee service which had real coffee and not just one small cup of it . . . . but rather a packet of vacuum packed coffee grounds large enough to provide four full cups, a wakeup service that didn't let me down and a rather nice and affordable restaurant in the lobby.

The location of the hotel right off Hwy 57 at Blvd. Manuel Avila Camacho 1998 (www.hotelparquesatelite.com sure was handy for a driver, and getting back on the 57 was just as easy. The hotel is located only 12 kilometers from the Canadian Embassy (about 20 minute drive (with a little preplanning, to make sure I was in a taxi and on the road before 6:15AM to avoid long commuter traffic delays as suggested by my doctor friend)). This allowed for a nice leisurely breakfast at a (believe it or not), pretty good VIPS not far from the embassy. A good double decker toasted egg, spinach, cheese, tomato, onion and bacon sandwich as well as a nice size orange juice and all for 84 Pesos, I felt was a bargain. I was comfortably full and ready for a day’s ‘work.

I will surely return, as I really do believe that DF and surrounding area has a lot more to enjoy than I was able to that day. Next time I will plan for at least a couple of weeks for a number of casual and unhurried visits to interesting places in your really hospitable city. So my hats off to Mexico City, I was surely impressed.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 6, 2012, 3:43 AM)

La Isla

Mar 6, 2012, 6:51 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] 47 Years Later . . . . . . What a Difference!

From the name of your hotel, I gather you were staying in Satélite, which strictly speaking is not in Mexico City but in Naucalpan in Mexico State. Maybe the next time you visit, you'll stay in a hotel closer to the heart of the city (where I live!), so you'll be able to enjoy all it has to offer, and at a better price.

robt65

Mar 6, 2012, 8:15 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] 47 Years Later . . . . . . What a Difference!

Hi Marsha,

My friend the doctor who lives in Mexico, gave me a ride to Mexico. I believe he lives not so far from that hotel and that is where they usually stop for their dinner on their way home. I have never known them (he and his wife) to cook at home. They are always eating out. Since we were at that hotel for dinner, he suggested that the hotel was not that far from the embassy, so I stayed there. To him, that was an economical hotel. (smiling) I for sure will stay closer to the center of the city next time, as it will be for a holiday and not for business. I am sure it is far more interesting anyway.

Regards,

robt65

rayitodeluna

Mar 18, 2012, 11:05 PM

Post #4 of 9 (7765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] 47 Years Later . . . . . . What a Difference!

Robert,
How good to hear the visit was so positive! The only disappointing thing is you didnt get a chance to run into this Mexpat and her family in the north of the city.

I too, have found that the people here are EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. Before we moved, I assumed people would be like New Yorkers (big generalization, not always true I know. Sorry new yorkers) and not stop or have time of day for anyone.

Let me tell you, my assumption was the furthest from the truth. The thing I love the MOST. Is that you dont truly need directions to your destination when you depart. Just lean out the window and ask, everyone replies! And if they dotn know, they apologize, calling you dear, viejo, amigo, carnal, or some other term of endearment.

The people in my neighboorhood are even nice to people that are often ignored back "home" where I am from. When I see a homeless (or very poor) person beggin for mony, I almost always here the chilango reply with "ahorita no, mi amor" or "oye viejo, no traigo cambio" or something else equally polite. I NEVER heard anyone call a homeless person in the States "dear" or "old friend" .

Now, i have my share of complaints about living in a big city, but in general I am enjoying Mexico City. Here is to hoping next time we can share that VIPS meal ;)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

(This post was edited by rayitodeluna on Mar 19, 2012, 11:26 AM)

La Isla

Mar 19, 2012, 10:26 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] 47 Years Later . . . . . . What a Difference!

A belated welcome to Mexico City, fellow honorary chilanga! Let me know if you're ever in my neighborhood (I live near El Angel and the US Embassy), so we can go out for cafe and a chat.

A word of caution about asking for directions: Most people will be happy to tell you how to arrive at your destination even if they have no idea how to get there! What I love is when someone stops me on the street to ask for directions because it means that I don´t look like a tourist. Even if I can't easily "pass" for a Mexican, I look like I belong here, which makes me feel really good.

rayitodeluna

Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 AM

Post #6 of 9 (7706 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
A belated welcome to Mexico City, fellow honorary chilanga! Let me know if you're ever in my neighborhood (I live near El Angel and the US Embassy), so we can go out for cafe and a chat.

A word of caution about asking for directions: Most people will be happy to tell you how to arrive at your destination even if they have no idea how to get there! What I love is when someone stops me on the street to ask for directions because it means that I don´t look like a tourist. Even if I can't easily "pass" for a Mexican, I look like I belong here, which makes me feel really good.

Thany you for the welcome , La Isla! I would nothing more than to sit and enjoy a cafecito with you :) i dont get to go down town very often, we live further north and my inlaws dont have much time for touring el Centro with me :( Perhaps when we return from a quick trip back home, we can meet up :)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

La Isla

Mar 19, 2012, 12:22 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7700 views)

Shortcut

Where exactly do you live? Is it possible for you to get here on your own on public transportation? Well, any way you can get here, I'd be happy to meet you. Just drop me a PM when you're ready to come down to the heart of the city.

rayitodeluna

Mar 19, 2012, 1:23 PM

Post #8 of 9 (7692 views)

Shortcut

Im sure I couod get there with public transportation, I just havent tried yet. My inlaws are super protective and are convinced we would be kidnapped (rolling eyes. But I appreciate their concern) .

I also would be traveling with my 2.5 yr old and almost 1 year old!

I will drop you a PM when we return, and perhaps Ill just take a taxi. Or if you can help me figureout the bus system, am willingto do that as well. We livein Tlalnepantla !

Thanks so much !

La Isla

Mar 19, 2012, 1:33 PM

Post #9 of 9 (7688 views)

Shortcut

Yikes, Tlalnepantla is far from where I live, out there in the State of Mexico. If you're going to be coming in with your little ones, public transportation would not be a good idea. And a taxi would cost a fortune. Maybe if you could convince one of your in-laws to give you a ride . . . : ). Tell them you're coming in to the city to meet a respectable older woman, maybe that would help.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4