Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

sparks

Mar 5, 2012, 1:03 PM

Post #1 of 3 (5016 views)

Shortcut

Langostinos

Can't Post | Private Reply
My neighbors who supplied them yesterday call them Langostinos but search Google and all you find are fotos of shrimp. To me these were real lobsters. I can't link fotos on my Blog so here's the post

Langostino on the beach in Cuastecomate

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

mazbook1

Mar 5, 2012, 2:23 PM

Post #2 of 3 (5002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Langostinos

Yes, that is a confusion in Mexican Spanish. Those should be called langosta, but actually that is the Maine lobster (with claws) and your pictures are of the rock lobster, a different specie, in European Spanish called a bogavante. Langostino seems to be used in all the coastal areas of México to refer to both the rock lobster and the much smaller crayfish (crawfish, crawdad, etc.) that are small cousins of the Maine lobster (claws and all, very tasty). In European Spanish, langostino does in fact refer to a king prawn, a variety of shrimp, which is called a camarón in México (just as all shrimp are).

There is nothing quite so confusing as regional names for different "sea" food critters even if they live in fresh water, plants and birds; animals not so much. This is the same in English or in Spanish.

tonyburton

Mar 5, 2012, 4:02 PM

Post #3 of 3 (4988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Langostinos

and, for a good laugh, see http://es.wikipedia.org/...sambiguaci%C3%B3n%29

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4