Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Karen K

Feb 29, 2012, 1:15 PM

Post #1 of 9 (12515 views)

Shortcut

apricot trees for Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but I tried several searches and got nowhere. I'm in Colima and I want to buy some more fruit trees. I really want an apricot or two that will do well at 5,000 ft elevation. I need a reliable nursery. I've been to Cd. Guzman and bought a Mandarine that turned out to be a navel orange and a "limon real" that turned into a (como se llama) fruit like a giant lemon with a skin 3 inches thick and hardly and juice.

I will be buying other fruit trees like apples, etc. as well. Any advice?

rockydog85251

Feb 29, 2012, 2:32 PM

Post #2 of 9 (12503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Karen K] apricot trees for Colima

Try some of the viveros in GDL or Ajijic/Chapala areas..

Good luck!
Willie

Vichil

Feb 29, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #3 of 9 (12494 views)

Shortcut

stone fruit do best with a dormancy period which you get with frost. We had a peach tree and an apple tree which did not do well and cut down. We also had one of these local peach tree which had pretty unineresting fruit so we cut it down
We use the fruit of the lemon real after the fruit drops from the tree and we do lots of lemonade with it and marinades. We planted the seeds of a lemon we got at the supermarket and it is now abou 3 feet tall, I am hoping we will get fruit eventually.

sparks

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07 AM

Post #4 of 9 (12470 views)

Shortcut

Wondered where you live in Colima that's 5000'. The city itself is closer to 2000

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Karen K

Mar 1, 2012, 8:17 AM

Post #5 of 9 (12456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] apricot trees for Colima

I live near the volcano close to the Jalisco border. It is about 1600 meters in altitude. It is known as Ex-Hacienda La Joya and I own a small part of it. Colima is the state and I'm about 45 minutes to the city.

Karen K

Mar 4, 2012, 12:38 PM

Post #6 of 9 (12379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] apricot trees for Colima

Thank you for your advise. We will see what happens. The first year I was here, 2004/05, there were 6-7 hard frosts but they have lessened to no frosts this year. Is it global warming or just a phase?

Maesonna

Mar 18, 2012, 2:44 PM

Post #7 of 9 (12077 views)

Shortcut

Citrus fruits are very promiscuous in their interbreeding. Thus there exist plenty of individual ďmuttĒ trees that donít fall neatly into a particular classification of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc., or donít resemble their parents. Apparently you got some like these. With fruits other than citrus, this problem is less likely.

Iím in Mexico City (about 2200 m.) and I bought an apricot tree at the local plant market which is turning out very well. I canít offer you any advice about shopping for plants in Colima, but here people sell plants bred and acclimatized to the local environment.

JamesCruise

May 19, 2012, 12:53 AM

Post #8 of 9 (11420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] apricot trees for Colima

I have plant two apricot trees in my garden. It died two days before. Can anyone tell me which type of soil is good for Apricot?

(This post was edited by tonyburton on May 19, 2012, 11:38 AM)

RickS

May 19, 2012, 9:27 AM

Post #9 of 9 (11400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JamesCruise] apricot trees for Colima

http://www.botanical-online.com/...ish/apricotflora.htm

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4