Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Sculptari

Feb 29, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #1 of 2 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Pick Proof Locks

Can't Post |
I don't know if this is the best forum, but 'pick proof' locks are now widely available in Mexico. They also have triple barrel throws. The cost is about $400 pesos, but installation often involves welding, so the costs can vary widely. You get four of the special keys with each set - in Canada you have to produce the receipt before any locksmith will cut a key.

Someone gave some really good advice about replacing your locks if you occupy a new place. The standard gate locks in Mexico are easily picked or 'bumped'. The locksmith said the standard lock could be defeated in less than 20 seconds and he could teach someone in a couple of hours. Unfortunately, 'graduates' of these specialty courses are returning to Mexico in record numbers - most of them against their will.

Excellent peace of mind for a fairly low cost.

chinagringo

Feb 29, 2012, 10:50 AM

Post #2 of 2 (5526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Pick Proof Locks

Can't Post | Private Reply
Before one "believes" that there are pick proof locks out there, you may wish to review some videos on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/...7l1861l0.7.1.5-1l9l0

Back in January, I purchased a combination cable lock with alarm for securing my laptop while away from where we were staying. One day the combination wouldn't work when I had it cabled along with my briefcase to a really stout easy chair. My solution was to either cut the cable or smash the combination casing. Calmer minds prevailed and the owner of the place went to YouTube and sure enough, there was a video on how to crack the combination in 15 seconds. Wasn't quite as fast as they made it sound but he was able to get the lock open in maybe a minute and a half. I don't remember the brand but it was a highly rated and fairly expensive option.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4