Feb 28, 2012, 7:10 AM
Post #1 of 7
It is important to paint between November and May. This information comes from my 10 years of living here, my own personal experience and advice from two of the “best” Painting Contractors in the Ajijic area.
HOW TO PAINT YOUR HOUSE SO IT WILL LAST 5 + YEARS
Can't Post | Private Reply
Specifications for Painting your House
1. Scrape and wire brush off all loose and flaking paint.
2. Power wash entire house to remove loose paint, mildew and generally clean paint
3. Fill all cracks and make repairs.
4. Prime entire house with Berol Block Filler, Prisa PROMETAL or Fester Festerbond. Do not prime exterior with the old method of using Sealer, White cement and white paint as it will bleed through the final coats of paint and peel.
5. Paint 2 or 3 full coats of paint as it comes from the can. It may be thinned 10% on the first coat with clean purified water. If your Contractor wants to thin it, give him a 2.0 litre soda bottle of clean purified water from your tap per 5 gallon (19 liter) bucket.
Absolutely no more water than that.
6. Paint finish coats using a 5” or 6” brush or thick nap roller ONLY, NOT A CEPILLIO.
A cepillo does not put on enough of a paint film for durability.
7. Refinishing your wood beams on your Terrace or overhangs: Choose your stain color
and ask your Contractor to mix your stain with Pentadragon or Pentaprisa. This is a clear solution wood product that kills termites.
8. Refinishing your Metal Gates, Doors, Garage, etc: The surfaces must be sanded with
fine sandpaper first, like 220 wet/dry. Choose your color in an “Esmalte”paint, (oil base) in either Semi Gloss or Gloss. You can have your Contractor do this two ways, either by putting on a Red Oxide rust preventative primer first, then 2 finish coats of paint. Or you can have him purchase the paint with the Rust Preventative built in. It’s better to use the rust preventative separately, but not necessary unless rust is showing.
9. Ask your contractor for a 3 - 5 year Guarantee. The Contractors that I recommended
give at least a 3 year Guarantee and checks all his houses before the rainy season and repaints any areas that need it at no cost.
Note: Only use COMEX Vinimex paint or PRISA Poliprisa paint. It has a satinado finish. Matte finish paints are a little cheaper and do not last. Forget using inferior products like Tonal or Sherwin Williams. My house was painted 6 years ago with COMEX VINIMEX paint and still looks good. I may even get 7 years out of the paint job.
PAINTING - 5 YEAR GUARANTEE - THE BEST
ENRIQUE PINEDA (Speaks English)
Cell phone: 045 333 440 6364
RUBEN "CHINO" CHAVARRIA (Speaks English)
Cell phone: 045 333 150 9031