Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

robt65

Feb 28, 2012, 5:38 AM

Post #1 of 4 (8054 views)

Shortcut

Question on Building Law in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
When one is either constructing new or adding onto an existing building where the two buildings are next to each other, what are the "rules" (if you will) for example, of building a barda or an exterior wall of your (my) home up against a (my) neighbor’s house. It seems that every inch of a property line is used here (in Mexico) for construction.

For example, I am going to add onto my existing home and it will call for extending an exterior concrete block and brick wall which will be right up against my neighbors’ exterior house wall. What are my obligations and what are his (my neighbors) rights as far as construction goes? Am I allowed to build right against his exterior house wall? Is there a required setback?

One thing I am a bit worried about is when my neighbors house was built many years ago the contractors laid a gas line along (his wall) on an indentation as well as a water line. If I build up against that wall and the neighbor has the need to replace or repair either of those lines, how is he going to do that? My intent is to let my neighbor know what my plans are, and to give him fair warning so that he may want to relay his (water or gas) lines so they are more accessible for any such repairs in the future.

My neighbor and I get along well. He was my landlord for 2.5 years before I bought the house next door. We have a good rapport and I want to keep it that way.

I also intend on adding some razor wire along my roof between the two buildings where his house roof line meets mine as right now it would be possible for a robber intent on entering my home to first go to his house roof and then simply cross over to mine. I want to cut that possibility off.

Any ideas or thoughts about this /these subject(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

robt65

Rolly

Feb 28, 2012, 8:23 AM

Post #2 of 4 (8033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Question on Building Law in Mexico

These are matters of local and/or state law. I would ask a local architect.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Feb 28, 2012, 8:42 AM

Post #3 of 4 (8027 views)

Shortcut

My masons say a minimum of a bricks width between houses. If they are glued together sound will carry and one neighbors gas or water problem becomes problems for both.

Have a friend that had to reroute water pipes to her solar pool heater because they were embedded on the outside of her wall. Neighbors said no

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Papirex

Feb 28, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #4 of 4 (8024 views)

Shortcut

You will probably need to check with your local government to get the answers you seek, since there are few, or no, building codes here. It is generally required that you build a second wall for your own house, abutting your neighbors wall though. You may be held financially responsible f your neighbor ever needs to replace his gas and/or water lines someday.

Here in Cuernavaca for instance, if you want an exterior wall higher than two meters, there are many extra conditions that must be met, to assure that the wall is strong enough to not collapse.

The razor wire across the roof is a very good idea, if it is legal. A couple of years ago, a ladrón climbed onto the roof of a house two houses from us. He broke off all of the exposed copper pipes on the roofs of four houses, including ours. Our next door neighbor was scheduled to have major abdominal surgery the next day. When she got up in the morning, she didn't have any water to even wash her face.

Another neighbor saw two policemen helping the thief climb down a wall to the street. Is it any wonder that most people here do not trust the police, and never report any crimes?

A fencing company started distributing flyer's advertising razor wire fencing, several homes now have razor wire fencing on the top of their exterior walls and their roofs. I have set several man-traps that are no risk to our dogs. As a former military policeman, I know how to do it. Do not ask me how, I cannot, and will not answer.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4