This Just in From Vallarta...

Can't Post | Private Reply
http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/...?chromedomain=usnews

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Feb 25, 2012, 10:35 AM

Post #2 of 38 (5938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] This Just in From Vallarta...

Just so people don't jump to the conclusion that this is just another sensational story from the NOB media, here is a link to a report in INFORMADOR:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/...C3_93OAMCcWlMCssBSMw

On then from today's INFORMADOR, the blame game has already started:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/...TUyQhKDZA-v-1mA1-n1w
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chicois8

Feb 25, 2012, 5:14 PM

Post #3 of 38 (5871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] This Just in From Vallarta...

You have to wonder why not more of these easy pick-en robberies, you have ships and tour companies enticing the adventure tourist to visit pure nature where no other tourists visit, lovely out of the way pieces of hidden paradise.
I guess they do not think the bandidos can't read...guess those visitors will have some stories to tell.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Feb 25, 2012, 5:32 PM

Post #4 of 38 (5866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] This Just in From Vallarta...

Puerto Vallarta and El Nogalito are hardly "out of the way places". This is the well-trodden tourist path for cruise ship visitors. It's a very sad situation. Fortunately there was no loss of life.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chicois8

Feb 25, 2012, 5:55 PM

Post #5 of 38 (5856 views)

Shortcut

This is what one of the PV papers say about El Nogalito:

You are literally in the jungle next to the river, listening to the water and looking out into the trees. When you park, you’re not sure quite where you are or where you’re going, and I’m glad I was there with friends who knew the right path for where to go. You sort of walk, and look, and see a crazy jungle insect, and look some more, and walk…and then you come out all in a beautiful jungle sanctuary overlooking the river.

I do not know where the robbery took place,maybe highway 200?

My point is if you advertise these hidden gems maybe un rata gets an idea to rob in and isolated area......
San Mateo, California

Vichil

Feb 25, 2012, 7:08 PM

Post #6 of 38 (5841 views)

Shortcut

They have a few places like that between Concha China and Mismaloya, it is not as isolated as it seems and it is the beauty of it for the tourists and the thieves who can take off in the hills and disappear.

bfwpdx

Feb 26, 2012, 6:15 AM

Post #7 of 38 (5782 views)

Shortcut

So you are admitting that no place outside the major urban centres are safe anymore???

donemry

Feb 26, 2012, 7:09 AM

Post #8 of 38 (5763 views)

Shortcut

Just for giggles, I googled "tourists robbed at gunpoint". 271,000 hits, the first four were Waikiki, West Palm Beach, Daytona Beach and SanFrancisco. What conclusion should one draw from this?

cbviajero

Feb 26, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #9 of 38 (5744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] This Just in From Vallarta...

In Reply To
Just for giggles, I googled "tourists robbed at gunpoint". 271,000 hits, the first four were Waikiki, West Palm Beach, Daytona Beach and SanFrancisco. What conclusion should one draw from this?

Maybe the mexican state dept.should issue a travel warning for the U.S.
Chris

Bennie García

Feb 26, 2012, 7:49 AM

Post #10 of 38 (5738 views)

Shortcut

Try "asaltan turistas" and see what you get.

arbon

Feb 26, 2012, 7:59 AM

Post #11 of 38 (5734 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To

Looks like you used the US Google, I just used the UK Google and got....

Tourists robbed at gun point in Nassau, Bahamas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

whynotwrite

Feb 26, 2012, 8:37 AM

Post #12 of 38 (5719 views)

Shortcut

Those were all flukes..(. HA! Good catch! ) . . . BUT..... it is way more scary and dangerous in Mexico. My neighbors told me so..... Did you hear about the 85 year old guy who was car jacked (at a 7-11 store at 10am), left with a broken leg and people walked around him, not wanting to give aid or help to call police...sorry, that was Detroit yesterday.

JRinPV

Feb 26, 2012, 8:59 AM

Post #13 of 38 (5717 views)

Shortcut

El Nogalito is about 1.25K off the main highway and that access road is pretty isolated. Good place for an ambush.

Vichil

Feb 26, 2012, 10:05 AM

Post #14 of 38 (5692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whynotwrite] This Just in From Vallarta...

Detroit is not a main tourist destination and comparing the two is absurd.
Any bad publicity for resorts areas hurt their economy and that is the point. It is pretty sad to think you cannot go 1/2 mile off the main road in a tourist area without having to think you may get assaulted because it is "remote".
I guess hat puts the zoo and the Chico place on the danger zone too...

chinagringo

Feb 26, 2012, 10:12 AM

Post #15 of 38 (5689 views)

Shortcut

The constant need to rationalize or minimize by pointing out what goes on in another country may be one of the lamest discussions ever. It wouldn't even be valid if you compared Cancun or Acapulco. Treat each location and whatever incident happened as an individual discussion and don't drag in information which means nothing.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

careyeroslib

Feb 26, 2012, 11:33 AM

Post #16 of 38 (5677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] This Just in From Vallarta...

I´m in Puerto Vallarta. Here are some local links which I hope may be somewhat helpful. People can draw their own conclusions.

1) Link re: the recent incident involving the tourists. Note that the article said this was another indication of the ineffectiveness of the administration of the current Mayor. A meeting of local officials was called on Thursday evening (23 de feb. de 2012)

http://www.noticiaspv.com/archivo/188011

A bit of background on El Nogalito.

1) In October 2010, the proprietor of the only restaurant in El Nogalito was arrested in a major sting operation. He was, at the time a major local kingpin for the Sinaloa cartel. Note that his nephew was at the time a municipal official. See this link.

http://www.vallartaopina.net/...cat=loc&ele=8937

2) In November 2011, another known Puerto Vallarta narcotraficante was found murdered in El Nogalito--a village of 170 people. See this link.

http://www.vallartauno.com/...UNODICIEMBRE2011.pdf

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Feb 26, 2012, 11:47 AM)

chicois8

Feb 26, 2012, 2:23 PM

Post #17 of 38 (5634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] This Just in From Vallarta...

In Reply To
So you are admitting that no place outside the major urban centres are safe anymore???

I admit nothing,I see nothing, I hear nothing!!!!!

But when large tour companies tell the world where tourists will be taken so they really can be taken........
San Mateo, California

JRinPV

Feb 27, 2012, 8:41 AM

Post #18 of 38 (5539 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] This Just in From Vallarta...

In Reply To
It is pretty sad to think you cannot go 1/2 mile off the main road in a tourist area without having to think you may get assaulted because it is "remote".
I guess hat puts the zoo and the Chico place on the danger zone too...

This implies that 'banditos' are laying in wait for anyone to come by, which is ridiculous. This was a well planed robbery, no tourists have had any problems at all in that area, the only other incident was several years ago in another remote area, close to Las Palmas - nearly 50K away from Nogalito, when a horseback tour was held up. The road to the zoo is surrounded by the village of Mismaloya and Chico's is on the main highway.

Vichil

Feb 27, 2012, 11:31 AM

Post #19 of 38 (5510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] This Just in From Vallarta...

The name may not be Chico but it is the place that is past the zooon what used to be a dirt road not the place on the main road.
Considering what is happening in El Nogualito it is not as tranquil as you make it sound. If tours are going there the roads could be patrolled. In Chiapas when there were lots of problems on the San Cristobal Palenque route they put in armed police on the buses and killed 2 of the 3 thieves that were assaulted the buses. They used to have armed guards as well on buses going through La Selva Negra. These things come and go in waves and hopefully, they will discontinue tours there or clean up the area.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Feb 27, 2012, 11:36 AM)

JRinPV

Feb 27, 2012, 1:26 PM

Post #20 of 38 (5482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] This Just in From Vallarta...

It's Chino's Paradise, not Chico's.
One bus maybe twice a week (when cruise boats that sell that tour are here) doesn't warent a guard and anyway, it should be the responsibility of the tour operator. We don't have banditos in the hills, this isn't Guerrero !
Also one incident in, god knows how many years ? doesn't warent anything.
Apparently it was one guy with a gun and a knife.
As usual the crazy American Media is blowing it all out of proportion, sadly.

Poncho32

Feb 27, 2012, 2:09 PM

Post #21 of 38 (5464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] This Just in From Vallarta..

If tours are going there the roads could be patrolled.
We live 1.5 miles south of the intersection of highway 200 and the turn to the east into El Nogalito.

As stated in one of the other comments here, from that point to the restaurant way back in the jungle its a good mile of one lane dirt road and quite ruff in places with no turn arounds let alone places to pass.
To think this road can be patrolled is foolhardy at best.

This incident that happen last wednesday is not the first time that bus loads of people are robed way back in there.

The tour buses get a rake off from the restaurant, thats why they go there , the cruise line tour directors need to wake up and stop booking these kinds of tours, no differently than if these types of occurrences were in the U.S. and they are there also.

JRinPV

Feb 28, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #22 of 38 (5380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Poncho32] This Just in From Vallarta..

The latest 'chisme' is that they have caught the guy and that he was a waiter at the restaurant in El Nogalito.

donemry

Feb 28, 2012, 10:05 AM

Post #23 of 38 (5373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Poncho32] This Just in From Vallarta..

In Reply To
If tours are going there the roads could be patrolled.
We live 1.5 miles south of the intersection of highway 200 and the turn to the east into El Nogalito.

As stated in one of the other comments here, from that point to the restaurant way back in the jungle its a good mile of one lane dirt road and quite ruff in places with no turn arounds let alone places to pass.
To think this road can be patrolled is foolhardy at best.

This incident that happen last wednesday is not the first time that bus loads of people are robed way back in there.

The tour buses get a rake off from the restaurant, thats why they go there , the cruise line tour directors need to wake up and stop booking these kinds of tours, no differently than if these types of occurrences were in the U.S. and they are there also.

When did the "last" incident of a mass robbery occur in Nogalitos? I cannot recall any such incidents. Of course the tour companies and restaurants work together, but that is incidental to the trip itself and provides a certainty of quality and price for the tourists. You may argue the quality and price if you wish, but many tours include the meal in the package.

Poncho32

Feb 28, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #24 of 38 (5342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] This Just in From Vallarta..

When did the "last" incident of a mass robbery occur in Nogalitos? I cannot recall any such incidents. Of course the tour companies and restaurants work together, but that is incidental to the trip itself and provides a certainty of quality and price for the tourists. You may argue the quality and price if you wish, but many tours include the meal in the package.

First of all price has nothing to do with the problem.
What I was pointing out is the reason that tour bus goes there.

Lastly, the same thing happened last year, along with a murder and not at the same
time.
As I closed below( the cruise line tour directors need to wake up and stop booking these kinds of tours) The latter is the real point.

Poncho32

Feb 28, 2012, 1:21 PM

Post #25 of 38 (5339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] This Just in From Vallarta..

He could of been the same guy last year, there is a fool born every minute.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4