Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

ericbrittan

Feb 25, 2012, 10:01 AM

Post #1 of 14 (5590 views)

Shortcut

car permit with new FM3

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all.

Drove in a vehicle to leave in Melaque last Nov. Paid 300.00. Since got my FM3.

QUESTION: at the office in Manzanillo they said I must report to the Aduana office, and show my FM3 card and temporary car permission....true?.

Has anyone done this and will I get my money back?
Thanks

EB.

chinagringo

Feb 25, 2012, 10:10 AM

Post #2 of 14 (5586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ericbrittan] car permit with new FM3

From all that I have read on this and other forums, a visit to Aduana by yourself or representative is necessary so that they update their records and your deposit is put on hold. You won't receive a refund but this procedure is supposed to extend the time period on the deposit defaulting back to Aduana. Apparently this new procedure is necessary each time you renew.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Feb 25, 2012, 10:12 AM

Post #3 of 14 (5586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ericbrittan] car permit with new FM3

True!

I'm assuming from your post that you drove in under an FMM and then, within the 6 month timeframe, got an FM3 (old name). Your responsibility at that point was to inform Aduana of this fact 'immediately'. Their computers will be updated with this information and your temporary import permit (TIP) will be still valid as long as your FM3 is valid, including renewals.

It is my understanding that you will NOT get your deposit back (because your US-plated car is still in Mexico temporarily according to Mexican law).

Rolly

Feb 25, 2012, 10:24 AM

Post #4 of 14 (5581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] car permit with new FM3

One more repeat for emphasis.

You must inform Aduana of any change in your visa, including annual renewals.
If you don't, you'll lose your deposit.
You can get the deposit refunded only by taking the car out of the country.

Rolly Pirate

ericbrittan

Feb 25, 2012, 3:21 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] car permit with new FM3

Thanks all......now I get it.......seemed to good to be true you could get back your deposit without driving back out!

EB.

dstan

Feb 27, 2012, 8:57 PM

Post #6 of 14 (5474 views)

Shortcut

Im in the same boat re change of immigration status from FMM to FM3 and have been wondering what to do about my car deposit. I understand now that I have to inform the Aduana of the change. Can anyone please inform me how I do that? Do I send registered letter, or have to appear in person...? Is there a listing of Aduana's in Central Mexico? thank you

Rolly

Feb 27, 2012, 9:04 PM

Post #7 of 14 (5470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dstan] car permit with new FM3

Read here: http://rollybrook.com/car-in-México.htm

Rolly Pirate

dstan

Feb 27, 2012, 9:39 PM

Post #8 of 14 (5464 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the information. Im relieved as I was told I have to appear in person, which is a hassle for me as I do not live near either Guad or DF. Have you heard of anyone who has actually sent such a letter and had an outcome? I'm assuming I should send letter DHL/registered...and lastly, where can I find the address of the Aduana in Guadalaraja? thanks again

mazatman

Feb 28, 2012, 10:39 AM

Post #9 of 14 (5422 views)

Shortcut

I mailed my documentation, registered, to the Aduana HQ address. They received it but I never heard a peep from them. I did not send any original documents such as the vehicle permit, just photocopies of everything, maybe that had something to do with their failure to reply?

Subsequently I went to the Manzanillo Aduana where they issued me with the official vehicle permit renewal letter.

BTW, Manzanillo not only wanted to see my vehicle and check the VIN, they even took several fotos of my chariot.

YMMV
Rod

papa chango

Feb 28, 2012, 10:49 AM

Post #10 of 14 (5416 views)

Shortcut

There is an office at the Guadalajara airport. But I do not know if it can process your car permit.
Papa Chango in Ajijic

DavidHF

Feb 28, 2012, 1:13 PM

Post #11 of 14 (5396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [papa chango] car permit with new FM3

Yes, they will issue a letter showing the expiration date of your FM3.

wiloran

Feb 29, 2012, 10:21 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatman] car permit with new FM3

I did the same as mazatman. I mailed a registered letter and copies of everything required to the DF address and have never heard a thing. At the aduana office in Vallarta they gave me a phone number, but I've never had a response when I've called. Not sure what to do next.

sparks

Mar 1, 2012, 5:03 AM

Post #13 of 14 (5311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatman] car permit with new FM3

>>>>> BTW, Manzanillo not only wanted to see my vehicle and check the VIN, they even took several fotos of my chariot.

Thanks on the Manzanillo update. I don't know anyone here that's done it yet

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

dstan

Mar 6, 2012, 9:12 AM

Post #14 of 14 (5179 views)

Shortcut

is there a list of Aduana offices with mailing addresses (for DHL deliveries) that can issue the vehicle permit extension once my immigration status has changed? I guess the nearest one to me is in Guadalaraja as I understand the sub-station in PV cant do anything about this.
I know this is an evolving process, but have you heard of anyone who has successfully contacted the Aduana by mail and gotten satisfactory response on this matter?
thanks

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4