Can't Post | Private Reply
The plot thickens.....

sfmacaws

Feb 26, 2012, 12:40 PM

Post #27 of 39 (10399 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

This deserves a more detail explanation. If the car has US plates, one might ask, "How did the car get into QR?" Is it like Hotel California where you can check in but can not check out? If it was a QR car with QR plates, why do I see cars with QR plates here in Veracruz?

It is rather like the Hotel California. After a few years in QRoo, most people just stop asking for reasons, anything is possible. I don't think I ever asked for a reason, perhaps I did and the answer was a shrug.

I have a QRoo license but I'm going to have to go and get one from Yucatan. When I went to renew my license in Tulum they told me that they didn't have any of the blanks to issue them on and weren't sure when they would get them. But, they said, it's OK because all the police know we don't have them so you are fine. Same thing with the license plates, Tulum didn't have any but Playa (Solidaridad) did and they were happy to renew my plates. Whatever. I still have a place over there but I live in Merida now and I'm happy about it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Aaron+

Feb 26, 2012, 4:13 PM

Post #28 of 39 (10376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chucdoti] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

I am curious if a hybrid is an good option to bring with me to Mexico. I would love to purchase something cheap to drive but also very serviceable there

Getting back to the original question, anything mechanical or electrical that is exotic is not readily serviceable here if skill and training are needed for the personnel, and parts for the repair. Hybrids remain a "luxury" vehicle here.

Auto mechanics throughout Mexico are fairly familiar with CRVs, RAVs, and the various Ford and GMC SUVs as well as the various Jeep models. Topes CAN and do damage vehicles, in particular but not exclusively sedans, particularly if you hit a tope inadvertently. Some topes are small mountains.

Forget about warranties on cars bought outside of Mexico being valid in Mexico.

careyeroslib

Feb 28, 2012, 1:28 PM

Post #29 of 39 (10335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

We also have a Camry Hybrid here part-time and as for buying a Hybrid for Mexico, I would say say NO!!!!

If you break down in the middle of nowhere, you want something simple that any mechanic can service. We have our Camry serviced here in Puerto Vallarta (simple oil change, etc.) and only one mechanic is trained to do even that. Others look at its engine, etc., and go "Eeek, what is all this?" (They won´t touch it).

While you didn´t ask, I would also say, get a rugged vehicle with high clearance. If you can´t find or afford that, plan to buy a Mexican car. We have been told that sedans manufactured in Mexico have tougher suspensions. Our poor Camry definitely does not like topes. We hardly drive it in Mexico except on highways.

Good luck.

RickS

Feb 28, 2012, 2:53 PM

Post #30 of 39 (10323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

"....and only one mechanic is trained to do even that. Others look at its engine, etc., and go "Eeek, what is all this?"

That's really strange! The gasoline motor in a Camry Hybrid is just an adaptation of the plain ole Toyota 4-cylinder. It's called the 'Atkinson Cycle' and everything is internal. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
Of course there is lot of strange looking 'other stuff' under the hood. The only training that would be remotely necessary is to NOT grab hold of something with high voltage, but that is pretty much impossible to do when just changing the oil.

I change oil in my Camry Hybrid and my Prius all the time. Same ole drain plug, same ole fill cap, same ole oil filter and same ole oil. Nothing mysterious anywhere.

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 28, 2012, 2:55 PM)

playaboy

Feb 28, 2012, 5:38 PM

Post #31 of 39 (10304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

In Reply To
Yes, there is the usual 20km zone. The point is that the whole state of QR is not a free zone.

Qroo is a free zone, free state or using the Spanish term "Región fronteriza". Gas and diesel is less per liter than the rest of the country and the IVA tax is less. We don't pay some of federal taxes because of that status.

Banjercito officials, at the Belize border, have told me personally that they will not issue a permit for a foreign vehicle if driven only in Qroo. One time, at that border, I had the Jefa from Aduana and the Jefe from Banjercito together discussing this issue and they couldn't agree. Aduana said you need a sticker outside the 20km zone and Banjercito said no you don't and they won't issue stickers.

I have friends that drive up from Corozal and back and they never stop for a TIP sticker, only their FMM, unless they go to Yucatan or Campeche.

Do you need a TIP to drive in Qroo? I have heard both yes and no. This is Mexico and your guess is as good as mine.

To the OP question, I suggest a 10-20 year old car or truck for your trip. Something in the $5000. range. Be as mechanical as possible, so anybody can work on them. With an older good running used car you will not attract any attention and if it gets destroyed or stolen you are not out much. For the last 5 years I have been driving a 20 year old diesel pickup all over Mexico. The engine is so simple any diesel mechanic can work on it.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Feb 29, 2012, 5:29 AM)

Goyo

Mar 3, 2012, 9:24 AM

Post #32 of 39 (10245 views)

Shortcut

Buy a Nissan Tsuru in Mexico. A four door with automatic, a/c, and stereo will serve you well and resell easily. No problems with clearance. These are the cars many, if not most, taxi drivers have. These are strong cars and servicable everywhere and they are gas sippers with great mileage. If it is only you or two people you will have ample cargo room including a trunk for hiding/locking up valuables.

RickS

Mar 3, 2012, 1:44 PM

Post #33 of 39 (10219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

The OP has never said that he is planning on living in Mexico..... just traveling around for a while. Buying and then reselling a Mexican car for this purpose is hardly a great idea no matter how good it is.

chucdoti

Mar 4, 2012, 5:26 PM

Post #34 of 39 (10172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

I'll keep that in mind. Might be a great idea if I do settle in Mexico. One thing I have decided for now is not to get in a hurry to buy anything!

lwmosher

Apr 12, 2012, 11:52 PM

Post #35 of 39 (9856 views)

Shortcut

My 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid suffered a inverter failure in Queretaro in 2011. The US warranty was not good in Mexico and the dealer in Mexico did not have the equipment, parts, or training to repair the inverter. Thus, over $1000 for hauling the vehicle to Laredo and 12 hours riding in a tow truck and enjoying the delay of the World Trade Bridge where you have to transfer from the Mexican flatbed to a US flatbed in "no man's land" at the end of the bridge on the US side near the immigration building. Then you enjoy the delay of multiple searches of the vehicle and the giant x-ray machine. Plus you have the privilege of paying over $300 to the US towing company (Caballeros) for a 5-mile haul due to the long wait and special requirements of US Customs. (The US tow truck apparently has to have some permission or identity card to go into the no-man's land.)

Moral of story: stick with vehicles that are common and repairable in Mexico.

RickS

Apr 13, 2012, 7:07 AM

Post #36 of 39 (9841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lwmosher] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

Bummer!

For this reason I have a road assistance policy that costs $75/year, covers all my cars, and pays up to $1500 for towing out of Mexico. Using my Hybrid saves me the cost of the policy with its great gas mileage. But it doesn't pay for the hassle that for sure.

cookj5

Apr 16, 2012, 8:45 PM

Post #37 of 39 (9743 views)

Shortcut

In all the discussion about the need for high clearance vehicles in order to deal with bad roads, topes etc, keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean you need a 4x4. There are certainly remote mountain and farm roads where a 4x4 would be advisable, but for the overwhelming majority of the roads you will be driving, road clearance is the issue. I, too, am looking for a small SUV that has high gas milage. My Toyota Corolla has bottomed out all too many times, particularly when I have 3 other passengers besides myself. I have numerous friends in whose SUVs I have ridden during adventures out in the back country roads. I can think of only 2 times over 5 years when 4x4 was necessary. High clearance is helpful, by contrast, virtually every day.

baja

Jun 22, 2012, 5:51 PM

Post #38 of 39 (9155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

What's the name and contact info for the insurance company or agent you use for the $1500 tow policy for $75/year? I'm interested in purchasing a hybrid and would like to drive to southern Baja California but without this type of policy it would be a risk.

sioux4noff

Jun 22, 2012, 6:36 PM

Post #39 of 39 (9144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Hybrid Vehicle question - Newbie here

We have a Ford Escape, purchased inthe US. Our Ford warranty IS good in Mexico. Howeve, like our health insurance, we pay the bill and then submit it for reimbursement.
We fax the bill for repairs at Ford in Vallarta, to the Ford dealer where we bought the car in Texas. In every case, I believe we had 4 warranty claims, the Ford dealer in Texas issued us a check for the repair the next day. Very good service.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4